Moving On From An Above Average QB - Redux

Apr 2, 2024 10:35:47 GMT -6 10 Replies
Back in February 2022 I wrote an article called "Moving on From an Above Average QB", with the advent of Kirk potentially leaving. It took another two years, but we have reached that point and I want to summarize the findings of that article and expand upon it somewhat. In a single screenshot, here is a summary of most of the Above Average QBs who were moved off of. I have added recent examples.

The case for my conclusion in the previous article is strengthened even further with recent examples... and this isn't even including QBs who exceed the ranking of "above average" like DeShaun Watson -> CJ Stroud and Aaron Rodgers -> Jordan Love. Though let me know if I missed any.

Let's go over the conclusions again with the updated information:

1) Where are all of the 1st round busts?

Conventional wisdom tells us that drafting a QB is at best a 50-50 gamble, and really a 30-70 or even 20-80 chance of getting a good one. But then how are there only 3 busts (Rosen, Haskins, Lance) on this list? As I explained in the previous article:

As it turns out, having strong infrastructure (GM/HC/OL/position players/defense) usually prevents teams from turning into the next Browns/Jags/Lions franchise.
The majority of these QBs landed in average to great situations. Watson and Tagovailoa did land in rough environments that eventually improved - Watson looked great from the start and Tua really needed the help - and Haskins/Rosen both landed in bad places and flopped. Trey Lance is the only exception on this list to land in the best place any developmental QB could dream in San Fran... but still bombed out. 

The reality is that a QB drafted into a quality environment will thrive more often, or better put their abilities will be maximized more often. And when a team previously had an above average QB thriving to some extent, that is likely a result of said environment. Personnel-wise the Vikings have an enviable amount of talent on the offense, only having a true weakness at iOL. While it is up for debate how well O'Connell coaches the offense, he did squeeze out some of Mr. Above Average Himself Kirk Cousins' best play and hopefully will be able to do the same for whomever the rookie QB is.

2) Don't bother with "band-aid" QBs

One thing that is apparent from this list is that slapping bandages on a gaping wound will not keep the blood back for long. Sticking in Ryan Fitzpatrick, Brian Hoyer, and all of the Colts QBs listed. For a one year stint / bridge while developing a 1st round QB prospect is justifiable, but it makes little sense what the Texans and Colts did. The Texans spent two years developing 4th rounder Tom Savage behind their mediocre QBs... when 4th rounders don't even become backups at a 50% clip. Then that vacuum made them desperate for Brock Osweiler, which was such a massive mistake they paid the Browns a 2nd round pick to take his contract off their hands. 

Meanwhile, the Colts kicked the can down the road 3 years after Luck's surprise retirement but slapping on band-aids like Rivers, Wentz, and Ryan. At least they went to the playoffs with Rivers, but the Wentz and Ryan trades were doomed from the start. Pro-tip: getting the last 'toothpaste squeeze' out of a QB before they expire isn't worth it, unless they are Tom Brady.

3) A Year 2 window seems realistic

Many of the successful replacements of above average QBs took a step forward in Year 2 - Mahomes and Burrow are good examples, whereas Allen and Tagovailoa took until year 3. Watson, Prescott, Dalton, and Murray were all just as good from the get-go. Multi-year vets like Kaepernick and Geno Smith were ready to go out of the gate. While this class has a couple young pups in McCarthy and Maye that might take an extra year or two to bloom, it is not a reach to say that we should have a Cousins replacement who is playing near his level by Year 2.

4) Draft a consensus 1st round QB

Perhaps this advice seems a bit "captain obvious" to you, but the 1st round picks on this list were all consensus 1st round picks by the draftnik community, albeit some ranged lower in the first round. For my draft boards, the only one on this list to be totally outside the first round is Josh Allen (also Jordan Love). There isn't any precedent for reaching on a QB in the 1st round and having that go well for you... so for this year's draft, it means not spending a 1st on Penix or Nix. Penix could creep up into becoming a consensus 1st like McCarthy has, but we'll see if that happens.

That's enough for today. Next time, I'll cover Sam Darnold and the chances of him drastically improving with the Vikings and the history of 1st round QB busts. Let me know what you think!

Moving On From An Above Average QB - Redux

Shoutbox

salamander: Not feeling good unless we can find a QB. Haven't had a great one in a looooooong time. Feb 22, 2024 13:43:06 GMT -6
Reignman: March 11th, 2024 will live in history as Kirk Cousins Independence Day *cheerleader* Mar 11, 2024 16:34:20 GMT -6
salbrecht: Why can Pittsburg sign Russel Wilson fo 1.2 million and we get Sam Darnold for 10 million?? Mar 13, 2024 18:31:25 GMT -6
Reignman: when you put it like that, it's a real head scratcher, but this franchise is all about their precious culture, so I imagine they passed on a guy like Russ over something silly like that ... Darnold will have a big smile when he's throwing all the INT's Mar 14, 2024 17:44:47 GMT -6
shandman: If I am NE, I seriously consider getting Justin Fields and roll with Fields/Brisset this year.

For Vikings to actually pull this off they probably have to trade #11, #23 and 2025 first rounder. In return, they hopefully get #3 overall this year and NE's
Mar 15, 2024 19:29:01 GMT -6
glenwo2: Saying that Darnold will have a big smile when he's throwing all the INT's is quite the Take, Reignman. Mar 16, 2024 20:17:05 GMT -6
Nemesis: Good grief....first I hear....and then I hear...I think I better go back to being gone. *woot* ??? Mar 22, 2024 15:24:17 GMT -6
Norseman: You were gone? Mar 22, 2024 22:30:40 GMT -6
Nemesis: I'm a long gone daddy www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtpe6_2nCts Mar 23, 2024 9:39:00 GMT -6
glenwo2: Norseman is Nemesis' Daddy! You heard it here first, folks. Mar 25, 2024 12:26:17 GMT -6
glenwo2: I'm kidding of course, Nemesis. :) Mar 25, 2024 12:27:05 GMT -6
Norseman: How do you know that it isn't true? Mar 25, 2024 14:28:23 GMT -6
glenwo2: Because Nemesis is the Mod and I'm just a punk rookie acting like a goofball. Mar 25, 2024 16:57:35 GMT -6
Nemesis: Plus glenwo2 is probably my dad, he just likes messing with me from the beyond. Mar 26, 2024 17:13:40 GMT -6
Reignman: Oh great, Nemesis believes in ghosts now too? Did ghost dad remember his name or only the first initial after you recited the alphabet? Apr 1, 2024 22:17:26 GMT -6
Nemesis: We agreed before he died that he would use the name "glenwo" and contact me on the PP shoutbox, but the "2" has me a bit confused. Did I miss his first attempt at contact? Apr 5, 2024 8:22:45 GMT -6
glenwo2: Well glenwo1 was busy that day.... Apr 6, 2024 3:01:11 GMT -6
Nemesis: This is amazing. That's exactly what he told me he would say! :'( Apr 13, 2024 16:48:32 GMT -6
slidell: Sell out and do what it takes to get Daniels.Mccarthy and Maye are Ponders waiting to happen Apr 22, 2024 14:37:23 GMT -6
SiteWolf: What about Daniels separates him that much from Maye? His old team didn't whine when he left ASU, his frame as it is right now will struggle to stay healthy with his playing style...so is he really the better prospect? Apr 24, 2024 13:47:01 GMT -6
Shout as:
Refresh
  • Bold
  • Italic
  • Underline
  • Strikethrough
  • Link
  • Insert Smiley
0/256 Send Cancel
© 2022 Purple Pain Forums

Purple Pain Forums is an independent fan website and not associated with the Minnesota Vikings or the National Football League (NFL). The content posted by individuals on this website reflect their personal opinions and in no way reflect the views of the Minnesota Vikings, NFL, or associated properties. Purple Pain Forums and its affiliates are not responsible for any content posted by our users as it is the property of the poster.