NFL Draft Analysis & Grading Deep Dive

Jul 9, 2023 21:44:36 GMT -6 20 Replies
I hope you are ready for another long and engaging read! This time I'm combining my usual Draft Analysis with a new component we'll examine Draft Grading. There has been some amount of debate about the validity of grading draft picks right after they are made, so this seems to be the perfect opportunity to research that. I won't conclude with a definitive statement on grading, but this can be the first data point... unless someone out there is researching this.

For this exercise, I have taken the span of 2018 to 2020 and chosen 7 teams - the Vikings, and 3 of the best and worst drafting teams from that stretch. Representing the positive half will be the Eagles, Chiefs, and Bills. Representing the bad half will be the Jets, Cardinals, and Texans.

Hindsight Grade Determination

Like my past articles, I will determine the grade each player will receive by two factors - their AV (Pro Football Reference's Actual Value, a stat that gives players points per playing snaps and recording counting stats) and PFF Rating (Pro Football Focus rating that determines the quality of play). I then use a table that judges the player depending on where they were drafted. They will receive a rating from A to F, and this has been predetermined from the big article I published last year. I will show you an example:

For this example, let's take Alexander Mattison. Over his 4 year span with the Vikings, he totaled 15 AV or 3.75 AV per year, and notched a 6 on the PFF scale (below average). Going by the rubric, his AV grade is a D+ and his PFF grade is a B, and I combined the two grades to make a C as the final hindsight grade.

I did the trouble of going through and giving grades to all 160 players on these 7 teams over 3 years - yup, it was a lot of work! But not even close to the end, because I need to compare Draft Grades from the time right after these grades concluded. I have taken grades from two sources - my own draft board, and Walterfootball.com. I turned my draft board into grades by giving a rating based upon the draft pick number compared to my board's total number. For example, Jalen Reagor was #38 on my board compared to being taken at #20 by the Eagles, earning them a D by my grading. Meanwhile, Justin Jefferson was #18 on my board and went #20, and I gave the Vikings an A. Any player who was taken at a slot above automatically gets an A (it didn't happen that often).

As for Walterfootball, they give out letter grades every year, making it easy to plug in the grades without having to do any conversions. It's still horrid navigating their awfully designed website with no AdBlock, though. If there is another source anyone would like me to examine their grades, please let me know!

Finally, I did an Excel VLOOKUP to assign points to each letter grade and quantify how accurate our grading was. For each pick, I calculated the difference between the points of the hindsight grade and my/Walt grade. For example:

CB Cameron Dantzler - Hindsight grade: C+ (3.33 points)
Danchat's grade: A (5 points, difference of 1.67)
Walt's grade: A- (4.66 points, difference of 1.33)

I averaged out the difference of every pick, though I removed rounds 5 through 7 for several reasons - the majority of those picks are busts and one can easy give an "F" to every pick and be the most accurate, my boards didn't have several of the late players and could not make accurate grades, and finally Walt's grading system doesn't give out anything lower than a C past the 5th round.

Finally, the grading scale for the difference:

0 points would be immaculate
1 point would be heavily correlating with the hindsight pick, being consistently accurate
2 points would be exactly in the middle, having just as much right as wrong
Anything above 2 points would suggest an inverse correlation, meaning the grades are more often wrong

Here are the results:

Danchat Avg Diff: 1.64 points off per pick
Walterfootball Avg Diff: 1.87 points off per pick

So I can conclude that my own draft grades have some correlation with being aligned with the hindsight grade more often than not, but not anything crazy. Walt's grades are less accurate, but are still a bit more often right than wrong. I am confident in saying that my grades are not as pointless as some claim, but the data here is not conclusive and would need to be backed up by a larger dataset.

Now, let's dig into some of the team grades and give out some praise / roast some stupid teams.

First, the Vikings:

I averaged a 1.4 while Walt averaged 2.07, so my grades were considerably more accurate - case in point the 1st round CBs Hughes and Gladney were panned by me, while Walt gave them As.

These classes are rather lackluster as you'd expect with a GM who was one more draft away from getting canned, the primary successes are Jefferson and O'Neill. Defensively only Armon Watts (rotational DL) and Marcus Epps (100% of value gained with Philly) got anything higher than a C, resulting in zero decent starters and leading our defense to be barren of talent from any homegrown talent prior to 2022. The strategy of using late round picks as lottery tickets did not fly, as the only Round 5-7 pick to become a starter was KJ Osborn, with Epps and Carlson thriving elsewhere.

Next let's examine the Eagles:

I've sorted this by hindsight grade, to appreciate how much was accomplished with non-1st round picks. Despite their two 1st rounders being massive flops (Reagor/Dillard), Howie Roseman still found several starters in the mid rounds, including Hurts in the late 2nd round (which Walt declared to be the worst draft pick in Eagles history!), finding an Ertz replacement in Goedert in the 2nd, finding a quality pass rusher in the 4th in Sweat (with one of the Sam Bradford picks!), and even a franchise LT in the 7th round! A team can overcome early busts if they can develop their later round picks well.

Now let's check out the tire fire that is the Cardinals, the current (heavy) favorite to be picking #1 in 2024:

Is it any wonder this team is in such bad shape? Kyler Murray, despite his warts, has been the one thing warding away oblivion. His contract extension might go down as one of the worst contracts in NFL history, but as a #1 pick he is a success in being able to elevate the team as much as he has. Aside from terrible coaching, they refused to fire GM Steve Keim (he was GM for 10 YEARS!!) and they were rewarded with bad draft after bad draft. The classes above are embarrassing despite having high draft capital. Even some "successes" are barely so - RB Eno Benajmin was released despite playing well and is a minor success for a 7th round pick, C Mason Cole was far better with the Vikings and Steelers than he was in Arizona, an "F" does not truly justify how bad Josh Rosen was, and while perhaps Isaiah Simmons could be a very good player, for a top 10 pick he plays like a tweener who can't quite handle linebacker or safety.

It took long enough for the Cardinals to reset the organization, but they have a long ways to go. I feel less confident about them compared to the Dolphins and Bears tank-jobs - at least they didn't have a QB on tab for about $50M per year for the next several years (hilariously, they back-loaded the deal to try and win in 2022, making things even worse for them in the future).

Finally, let us conclude with the Bills:

This is a very strong unit, crafted well by the new regime that entered in 2017. The only true early round flop was G Cody Ford, with every other 1st to 4th round pick being a moderate success at worst. Outside of the smash hit of Josh Allen, they hit on several key positions that allowed them to spend their money on other positions - finding multiple CBs, DTs, RBs. Even a few players who did nothing there like Wyatt Teller, Isaiah Hodgins, and McCloud have ended up providing some value elsewhere, a sign that the Bills were drafting good players.

Alright, that's enough for now! Let me know if you want a rundown of the 3 teams that I didn't cover, or any other classes that I could cover... if it doesn't take me too much time! Thanks for reading and let me know what you think.

NFL Draft Analysis & Grading Deep Dive

Shoutbox

salamander: Not feeling good unless we can find a QB. Haven't had a great one in a looooooong time. Feb 22, 2024 13:43:06 GMT -6
Reignman: March 11th, 2024 will live in history as Kirk Cousins Independence Day *cheerleader* Mar 11, 2024 16:34:20 GMT -6
salbrecht: Why can Pittsburg sign Russel Wilson fo 1.2 million and we get Sam Darnold for 10 million?? Mar 13, 2024 18:31:25 GMT -6
Reignman: when you put it like that, it's a real head scratcher, but this franchise is all about their precious culture, so I imagine they passed on a guy like Russ over something silly like that ... Darnold will have a big smile when he's throwing all the INT's Mar 14, 2024 17:44:47 GMT -6
shandman: If I am NE, I seriously consider getting Justin Fields and roll with Fields/Brisset this year.

For Vikings to actually pull this off they probably have to trade #11, #23 and 2025 first rounder. In return, they hopefully get #3 overall this year and NE's
Mar 15, 2024 19:29:01 GMT -6
glenwo2: Saying that Darnold will have a big smile when he's throwing all the INT's is quite the Take, Reignman. Mar 16, 2024 20:17:05 GMT -6
Nemesis: Good grief....first I hear....and then I hear...I think I better go back to being gone. *woot* ??? Mar 22, 2024 15:24:17 GMT -6
Norseman: You were gone? Mar 22, 2024 22:30:40 GMT -6
Nemesis: I'm a long gone daddy www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtpe6_2nCts Mar 23, 2024 9:39:00 GMT -6
glenwo2: Norseman is Nemesis' Daddy! You heard it here first, folks. Mar 25, 2024 12:26:17 GMT -6
glenwo2: I'm kidding of course, Nemesis. :) Mar 25, 2024 12:27:05 GMT -6
Norseman: How do you know that it isn't true? Mar 25, 2024 14:28:23 GMT -6
glenwo2: Because Nemesis is the Mod and I'm just a punk rookie acting like a goofball. Mar 25, 2024 16:57:35 GMT -6
Nemesis: Plus glenwo2 is probably my dad, he just likes messing with me from the beyond. Mar 26, 2024 17:13:40 GMT -6
Reignman: Oh great, Nemesis believes in ghosts now too? Did ghost dad remember his name or only the first initial after you recited the alphabet? Apr 1, 2024 22:17:26 GMT -6
Nemesis: We agreed before he died that he would use the name "glenwo" and contact me on the PP shoutbox, but the "2" has me a bit confused. Did I miss his first attempt at contact? Apr 5, 2024 8:22:45 GMT -6
glenwo2: Well glenwo1 was busy that day.... Apr 6, 2024 3:01:11 GMT -6
Nemesis: This is amazing. That's exactly what he told me he would say! :'( Apr 13, 2024 16:48:32 GMT -6
slidell: Sell out and do what it takes to get Daniels.Mccarthy and Maye are Ponders waiting to happen Apr 22, 2024 14:37:23 GMT -6
SiteWolf: What about Daniels separates him that much from Maye? His old team didn't whine when he left ASU, his frame as it is right now will struggle to stay healthy with his playing style...so is he really the better prospect? Apr 24, 2024 13:47:01 GMT -6
Shout as:
Refresh
  • Bold
  • Italic
  • Underline
  • Strikethrough
  • Link
  • Insert Smiley
0/256 Send Cancel
© 2022 Purple Pain Forums

Purple Pain Forums is an independent fan website and not associated with the Minnesota Vikings or the National Football League (NFL). The content posted by individuals on this website reflect their personal opinions and in no way reflect the views of the Minnesota Vikings, NFL, or associated properties. Purple Pain Forums and its affiliates are not responsible for any content posted by our users as it is the property of the poster.