Minnesota Vikings All-Time All-Rookie Team

May 6, 2023 13:17:42 GMT -6 0 Replies
The Minnesota Vikings selected six players in the 2023 NFL Draft. They signed another 15 players that went undrafted. 21 Vikings rookies. With these new players in mind, here’s a look at some of the best rookies in Vikings franchise history. Maybe one or two, or more, of current rookies will crack this lineup. That would be something as this team contains many of the best players in franchise history. Anything feels possible in May.

Minnesota Vikings All-Rookie Team

Quarterback

Fran Tarkenton-1961

Fran Tarkenton got his rookie season rolling early when he led the Vikings to a win over the Chicago Bears in the first game in franchise history. He's in the Hall of Fame and an easy choice here. Christian Ponder and Teddy Bridgewater are the only other quarterbacks to play significant roles as rookies. So, Tarkenton easily takes it.

Running backs

Adrian Peterson-2007

Chuck Foreman-1973

Easy choices. Each took home rookie of the year awards. Each was an immediate difference-maker.

Receivers

Randy Moss-1998

Justin Jefferson-2020

Randy Moss and Justin Jefferson each had one of the best rookie receiver seasons in NFL history. Randy Moss scored an NFL rookie record 17 touchdowns. Jefferson’s 1,400 receiving yards is topped only by the 1,473 yards posted by Bill Groman in the first season of the AFL and the 1,455 yards posted by Ja’Marr Chase in 2021. Randy Moss was an easy choice for rookie of the year. Justin Jefferson should’ve been. Jefferson’s great rookie season topped that of 2009 Rookie of the Year Percy Harvin, 1976 Rookie of the Year Sammy White, and 1963 Rookie of the Year Paul Flatley. The Vikings have a nice history of rookie receivers. Jordan Addison and all future Vikings rookie receivers have a near impossible task of bumping Moss or Jefferson from this team.

Tight End

Joe Senser-1980

Joe Senser's 4-year career was way too short but it started well. 42 catches and 7 TDs.

Tackles

Gary Zimmerman-1986

Korey Stringer-1995

Ron Yary would've made this team at right tackle if it wasn't for Bud Grant's "rookies aren't ready to start" philosophy. Gary Zimmerman was great. So was Korey Stringer. His life and career ended way too soon. In a little way, his being on this team helps keep his spirit alive. Zimmerman played two seasons in the USFL before he became an NFL rookie so he was a "seasoned" rookie. Matt Kalil made the Pro Bowl as a rookie in 2012 but I’m going with Zimmerman at left tackle on this team. 

Guards

Randall McDaniel-1988

Ed Ingram-2022

Randall McDaniel is an automatic choice. Ed Ingram had a rough rookie season. From stepping on his quarterback’s right foot multiple times to some blocking whiffs, he had many low moments. He also showed some potential. From violent blocks to helping linemates, he made scattered plays that show potential. He gets the nod on this team because Marcus Johnson didn’t set a high bar in 2005. Ed White would probably get the nod if Bud Grant started rookies.

Center
Mick Tingelhoff-1962

Mick Tingelhoff started every game in his 17-year Hall of Fame career. That streak started with his rookie season.

Defensive ends

Carl Eller-1964

Kevin Williams-2003

Carl Eller is an easy choice. Kevin Williams played his rookie season at defensive end and collected 10.5 sacks. He went on to a dominant, All-Decade career on the interior.

Defensive tackles

Alan Page-1967

Keith Millard-1985

Alan Page is an automatic choice. Even Bud Grant couldn't keep Page on the bench as a rookie. Keith Millard was an immediate force in the middle of the Vikings line. 11 sacks as a rookie. Like Gary Zimmerman, Millard wasn't a raw NFL rookie after a short stint in the USFL.

Linebackers

Anthony Barr-2014

Eric Kendricks-2015

Matt Blair-1974

Anthony Barr was an impact playmaker from his rookie season. Eric Kendricks edges out Jeff Siemon. It took about a month for Kendricks to force his way into the starting lineup. With each game he got better at this job. Matt Blair played his way into the starting lineup as a rookie and became a defensive cornerstone.

Cornerbacks

DeWayne Washington-1994

Carl Lee-1983

DeWayne Washington was an impact starter as a rookie. He was an impact starter all four of his years in Minnesota. I will never understand how the Vikings let him leave town in free agency. The second corner spot is something of a toss-up between Earsell Mackbee, Carl Lee, Cedric Griffen, and Cameron Dantzler. Each started games as a rookie and showed varying degrees of potential. Lee developed into one of the best cornerback in Vikings franchise history. He showed some of that potential as a rookie.

Safeties
Joey Browner-1983

Harrison Smith-2012

Joey Browner and Harrison Smith are two of the best safeties in Vikings franchise history. Browner gets the nod despite not starting a single game at safety as a rookie. He was a dynamo on special teams. Smith was a defensive force from the start.

Kicker

Blair Walsh-2012

Blair Walsh's best season was his first season. He made the Pro Bowl and named All-Pro as a rookie. If only that great rookie season carried through into a great career. 

Punter

Ryan Wright-2022

Perhaps there’s a recency bias but Ryan Wright’s great rookie season edges Bobby Walden’s great rookie season in 1964.

Returner
Cordarrelle Patterson-2013
Cordarrelle Patterson edges Percy Harvin. Patterson was All-Pro as a rookie and has been the league’s best kick returner ever since.

Minnesota Vikings All-Time All-Rookie Team

Shoutbox

salamander: Not feeling good unless we can find a QB. Haven't had a great one in a looooooong time. Feb 22, 2024 13:43:06 GMT -6
Reignman: March 11th, 2024 will live in history as Kirk Cousins Independence Day *cheerleader* Mar 11, 2024 16:34:20 GMT -6
salbrecht: Why can Pittsburg sign Russel Wilson fo 1.2 million and we get Sam Darnold for 10 million?? Mar 13, 2024 18:31:25 GMT -6
Reignman: when you put it like that, it's a real head scratcher, but this franchise is all about their precious culture, so I imagine they passed on a guy like Russ over something silly like that ... Darnold will have a big smile when he's throwing all the INT's Mar 14, 2024 17:44:47 GMT -6
shandman: If I am NE, I seriously consider getting Justin Fields and roll with Fields/Brisset this year.

For Vikings to actually pull this off they probably have to trade #11, #23 and 2025 first rounder. In return, they hopefully get #3 overall this year and NE's
Mar 15, 2024 19:29:01 GMT -6
glenwo2: Saying that Darnold will have a big smile when he's throwing all the INT's is quite the Take, Reignman. Mar 16, 2024 20:17:05 GMT -6
Nemesis: Good grief....first I hear....and then I hear...I think I better go back to being gone. *woot* ??? Mar 22, 2024 15:24:17 GMT -6
Norseman: You were gone? Mar 22, 2024 22:30:40 GMT -6
Nemesis: I'm a long gone daddy www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtpe6_2nCts Mar 23, 2024 9:39:00 GMT -6
glenwo2: Norseman is Nemesis' Daddy! You heard it here first, folks. Mar 25, 2024 12:26:17 GMT -6
glenwo2: I'm kidding of course, Nemesis. :) Mar 25, 2024 12:27:05 GMT -6
Norseman: How do you know that it isn't true? Mar 25, 2024 14:28:23 GMT -6
glenwo2: Because Nemesis is the Mod and I'm just a punk rookie acting like a goofball. Mar 25, 2024 16:57:35 GMT -6
Nemesis: Plus glenwo2 is probably my dad, he just likes messing with me from the beyond. Mar 26, 2024 17:13:40 GMT -6
Reignman: Oh great, Nemesis believes in ghosts now too? Did ghost dad remember his name or only the first initial after you recited the alphabet? Apr 1, 2024 22:17:26 GMT -6
Nemesis: We agreed before he died that he would use the name "glenwo" and contact me on the PP shoutbox, but the "2" has me a bit confused. Did I miss his first attempt at contact? Apr 5, 2024 8:22:45 GMT -6
glenwo2: Well glenwo1 was busy that day.... Apr 6, 2024 3:01:11 GMT -6
Nemesis: This is amazing. That's exactly what he told me he would say! :'( Apr 13, 2024 16:48:32 GMT -6
slidell: Sell out and do what it takes to get Daniels.Mccarthy and Maye are Ponders waiting to happen Apr 22, 2024 14:37:23 GMT -6
SiteWolf: What about Daniels separates him that much from Maye? His old team didn't whine when he left ASU, his frame as it is right now will struggle to stay healthy with his playing style...so is he really the better prospect? Apr 24, 2024 13:47:01 GMT -6
Shout as:
Refresh
  • Bold
  • Italic
  • Underline
  • Strikethrough
  • Link
  • Insert Smiley
0/256 Send Cancel
© 2022 Purple Pain Forums

Purple Pain Forums is an independent fan website and not associated with the Minnesota Vikings or the National Football League (NFL). The content posted by individuals on this website reflect their personal opinions and in no way reflect the views of the Minnesota Vikings, NFL, or associated properties. Purple Pain Forums and its affiliates are not responsible for any content posted by our users as it is the property of the poster.