Looking Back At The 1975 NFL Draft

Apr 22, 2023 10:56:40 GMT -6 0 Replies
The 1975 NFL Draft was the first draft that I can recall following. It started on a Tuesday. It wasn't televised. It was actually a little hard to follow. It was very hard to follow for a young Minnesota Vikings fan living in California. Until ESPN televised the draft for the first time in 1980, it was always hard to follow. Newspaper coverage was pretty much the only coverage and that wasn't until the next day. I was somewhat aware of the 1973 and 1974 NFL Drafts but that was more after the fact. I knew that the Minnesota Vikings didn't have running back Chuck Foreman in 1972 and then they had him in 1973. He was something called a "rookie" and he hadn't played professional football before. Perhaps because of Foreman I had to find out about this thing called the NFL Draft.

The 1975 NFL Draft was unique in that it was the first time that a player from Cal was selected with the first overall pick. The Atlanta Falcons selected quarterback Steve Bartkowski with that pick. He was a decent quarterback on a sh*tty team. He might have been a great quarterback on a better team. I quickly learned that’s the purpose of the draft. Access to the great players is supposed to help the sh*tty teams get better. It doesn’t always work that way as many of the sh*tty teams can’t get away from being sh*tty. As for 1975, Randy White and Walter Payton turned out to be the stars of this draft. White was selected second by the Dallas Cowboys. Payton was selected fourth by the Chicago Bears. Each was among the best players of their generation and earned well-deserved busts in the Pro Football Hall Fame. Robert Brazile and Fred Dean also played their way into Canton. Brazile was selected sixth by the Houston Oilers. Dean was selected in the second round by the San Diego Chargers. Eleven of the 26 players taken in the first round received Pro Bowl recognition at some point in their careers. Not bad. Besides Payton, White, Dean, and Brazile, some of the prominent NFL players from the 1975 NFL Draft were Gary Johnson, Dennis Harrah, Russ Francis, Louis Wright, Doug France, Monte Jackson, Louis Kelcher, Doug English, Cleveland Elam, Rick Upchurch, and Pat Haden.

Highlighted by Walter Payton and Robert Brazile, the 1975 draft was a banner draft for Jackson State. Payton and Brazile were selected early. Running back Rickey Young, linebacker John Tate, and defensive back Charles James were selected later. Nowhere near the heights of Payton and Brazile, Young had a very productive, nine-year NFL career. After three years with the Chargers, he was a very good, pass-catching back for the Vikings for six seasons. In 1975, itty-bitty Jackson State was the rival of the big schools for football talent. 

As for the Vikings, the 1975 NFL Draft can be best described as disappointing. No player made a Chuck Foreman-like impact. The Vikings selected Colorado St. defensive end Mark Mullaney in the first round. Mullaney had some moments, actually some pretty good moments, in his NFL career. Those moments didn't happen often enough. This was a bad time to come to Minnesota if you were a defensive lineman. With Alan Page, Carl Eller, and Jim Marshall, the Vikings defensive line was one of the best in league history. Marshall and Eller were tough to follow for a defensive end. Unfortunately for Mullaney, he was drafted to do so. The Vikings didn’t get much from the 1975 NFL Draft.

1. Mark Mullaney, DE, Colorado State
2. Art Riley, DT, USC
4. Champ Henson, RB, Ohio State
4. Bruce Adams, WR, Kansas
5. Robert Miller, RB, Kansas
6. Bubba Broussard, LB, Houston
7. Henry Greene, RB, Southern
8. Joe Hollimon, DB, Arkansas State
9. John Passananti, G, Western Illinois
10. Neil Clabo, P, Tennessee
11. Ike Spencer, RB, Utah
12. Autry Beamon, DB, East Texas State
13. Mike Hurd, WR, Michigan State
14. Mike Strickland, RB, Eastern Michigan
15. Ollie Bakken, LB, Minnesota
16. Tom Goedjen, K, Iowa State
17. Adolph Bellizeare, RB, Pennsylvania

Only Mark Mullaney, Robert Miller, Neil Clabo, and Autry Beamon earned a spot on the Vikings 1975 roster. Clabo had the biggest immediate impact. He was the team’s punter for three seasons. Miller and Beamon provided depth and saw some playing time. That was about it from a draft that brought in 17 players. Six of the 17 players played running back. It was a very different time. People would be fired if a team selected six running backs today.

The 1975 NFL Draft didn't do much for the Minnesota Vikings but it was the beginning of my growing interest in the draft. Fortunately, the 1976 NFL Draft was more fun and much better for the Vikings.

Looking Back At The 1975 NFL Draft

Shoutbox

salamander: Not feeling good unless we can find a QB. Haven't had a great one in a looooooong time. Feb 22, 2024 13:43:06 GMT -6
Reignman: March 11th, 2024 will live in history as Kirk Cousins Independence Day *cheerleader* Mar 11, 2024 16:34:20 GMT -6
salbrecht: Why can Pittsburg sign Russel Wilson fo 1.2 million and we get Sam Darnold for 10 million?? Mar 13, 2024 18:31:25 GMT -6
Reignman: when you put it like that, it's a real head scratcher, but this franchise is all about their precious culture, so I imagine they passed on a guy like Russ over something silly like that ... Darnold will have a big smile when he's throwing all the INT's Mar 14, 2024 17:44:47 GMT -6
shandman: If I am NE, I seriously consider getting Justin Fields and roll with Fields/Brisset this year.

For Vikings to actually pull this off they probably have to trade #11, #23 and 2025 first rounder. In return, they hopefully get #3 overall this year and NE's
Mar 15, 2024 19:29:01 GMT -6
glenwo2: Saying that Darnold will have a big smile when he's throwing all the INT's is quite the Take, Reignman. Mar 16, 2024 20:17:05 GMT -6
Nemesis: Good grief....first I hear....and then I hear...I think I better go back to being gone. *woot* ??? Mar 22, 2024 15:24:17 GMT -6
Norseman: You were gone? Mar 22, 2024 22:30:40 GMT -6
Nemesis: I'm a long gone daddy www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtpe6_2nCts Mar 23, 2024 9:39:00 GMT -6
glenwo2: Norseman is Nemesis' Daddy! You heard it here first, folks. Mar 25, 2024 12:26:17 GMT -6
glenwo2: I'm kidding of course, Nemesis. :) Mar 25, 2024 12:27:05 GMT -6
Norseman: How do you know that it isn't true? Mar 25, 2024 14:28:23 GMT -6
glenwo2: Because Nemesis is the Mod and I'm just a punk rookie acting like a goofball. Mar 25, 2024 16:57:35 GMT -6
Nemesis: Plus glenwo2 is probably my dad, he just likes messing with me from the beyond. Mar 26, 2024 17:13:40 GMT -6
Reignman: Oh great, Nemesis believes in ghosts now too? Did ghost dad remember his name or only the first initial after you recited the alphabet? Apr 1, 2024 22:17:26 GMT -6
Nemesis: We agreed before he died that he would use the name "glenwo" and contact me on the PP shoutbox, but the "2" has me a bit confused. Did I miss his first attempt at contact? Apr 5, 2024 8:22:45 GMT -6
glenwo2: Well glenwo1 was busy that day.... Apr 6, 2024 3:01:11 GMT -6
Nemesis: This is amazing. That's exactly what he told me he would say! :'( Apr 13, 2024 16:48:32 GMT -6
slidell: Sell out and do what it takes to get Daniels.Mccarthy and Maye are Ponders waiting to happen Apr 22, 2024 14:37:23 GMT -6
SiteWolf: What about Daniels separates him that much from Maye? His old team didn't whine when he left ASU, his frame as it is right now will struggle to stay healthy with his playing style...so is he really the better prospect? Apr 24, 2024 13:47:01 GMT -6
Shout as:
Refresh
  • Bold
  • Italic
  • Underline
  • Strikethrough
  • Link
  • Insert Smiley
0/256 Send Cancel
© 2022 Purple Pain Forums

Purple Pain Forums is an independent fan website and not associated with the Minnesota Vikings or the National Football League (NFL). The content posted by individuals on this website reflect their personal opinions and in no way reflect the views of the Minnesota Vikings, NFL, or associated properties. Purple Pain Forums and its affiliates are not responsible for any content posted by our users as it is the property of the poster.