December 18, 1995

Apr 16, 2023 11:49:05 GMT -6 0 Replies
On December 18, 1995, the Minnesota Vikings had a Monday night date with the San Francisco 49ers. Candlestick Park. I was at this game. Typically, a night game at Candlestick is very cold. Not Minnesota cold. It’s California cold. About 50 degrees. The play on the field this night kept the stadium cozy. Tense but cozy. As a California-based fan, I haven’t been to a lot of Vikings games. So every game I’ve attended sticks with me. This game sticks with me. It was a treat to be there.

The 1990s was an interesting decade for the Vikings. With Dennis Green as head coach, the Vikings were consistently competitive. They were also consistently eliminated in the first round of the playoffs. 1995, the year of this 49ers game, was the only year of the decade that the Vikings didn’t end the season in the postseason.

In 1995, the San Francisco 49ers were defending champions. They entered this Week 16 game with a nice 11-4 record. The 49ers dynasty had stretched into a second decade. The Vikings were 8-7. They needed this game much more than the 49ers. This was a terrific game. Maybe, some of you remember it.

The 49ers, led by Steve Young and Jerry Rice, jumped all over the Vikings from the start. The score was 21-0 after the first quarter. It looked like the game was going to be a laugher. Then, something changed. Being in the stadium, I could feel it. Cris Carter put his team on his back and pushed, pulled, and willed his team back into the game. This may have been the moment when Carter joined Alan Page as my favorite Vikings football players. The Vikings erased much of the early deficit. They creeped back into the game. From 21-0, it was 27-20 at the half. This game turned into an aerial show of Hall of Famers. Warren Moon and Cris Carter vs Steve Young and Jerry Rice. More specifically, it turned into a duel between Carter and Rice. Whatever you can do I can do better. As a fan of receivers, it was a beautiful night.

The 49ers ultimately won this game. The final was 37-30.

This game sticks with me because it was great. It was the best demonstration of pass-catching that I’d ever seen. Rice vs Carter. It also sticks with me because of it’s time. This was before cell phones. This was before fantasy football dominated game day thoughts. In-game statistics were not blasted throughout the stadium. Unless one was listening to a radio play-by-play or actively charting the game, there was no way for one to accurately know player statistics. This was an incredible Cris Carter vs Jerry Rice show. Rice had some big plays. Carter had some big plays. Due to the early 21-0 deficit, every single catch by Carter felt so important. I feel like every catch either moved the chains or scored a touchdown. He put the team on his back and carried them for three quarters. Leaving Candlestick, I figured that Rice had caught about a dozen passes for 180-200 yards and the three TDs. I figured that Carter had also caught about a dozen passes for about 150 yards and two TDs.

I was stunned when I saw these game statistics in the newspaper on Tuesday morning.

Cris Carter
12 catches
88 yards
2 TDs

Jerry Rice
14 catches
289 yards
3 TDs

Jerry Rice had one of the greatest careers in NFL history. Arguments rage about the best player in league history at nearly every position. There are no such arguments about the best receiver. Rice is #1. His career statistics are ridiculous and so far ahead of every other receiver. Statistically, this was his best game. If one were to only look at the numbers and ignore how the game was played, this was a one-sided receiver battle. Rice gained 200 more yards than Carter. As one of the 64,975 seated in Candlestick that night, it wasn’t one-sided. This was a receiver duel and it felt like an even one. Every one of Carter’s 12 catches meant something. Each chain-moving 8-yard catch meant more to the Vikings than a Rice 30-yard catch meant to the 49ers. There was so much fluff to Rice’s stats and so much substance to Carter’s stats. Perhaps that’s due to the early 21-0 score. Those points came so easily. It took great effort for the Vikings to come back. This game has stuck with me because it was a fun, thrilling game. It was especially fun for a fan of incredible receiver play. Rice and Carter were two of the best to ever do it and they were at their best this night. This game has also stuck with me because it revealed a lot about statistics. They’re fun but they don’t always reveal the narrative of the game.

December 18, 1995

Shoutbox

salamander: Not feeling good unless we can find a QB. Haven't had a great one in a looooooong time. Feb 22, 2024 13:43:06 GMT -6
Reignman: March 11th, 2024 will live in history as Kirk Cousins Independence Day *cheerleader* Mar 11, 2024 16:34:20 GMT -6
salbrecht: Why can Pittsburg sign Russel Wilson fo 1.2 million and we get Sam Darnold for 10 million?? Mar 13, 2024 18:31:25 GMT -6
Reignman: when you put it like that, it's a real head scratcher, but this franchise is all about their precious culture, so I imagine they passed on a guy like Russ over something silly like that ... Darnold will have a big smile when he's throwing all the INT's Mar 14, 2024 17:44:47 GMT -6
shandman: If I am NE, I seriously consider getting Justin Fields and roll with Fields/Brisset this year.

For Vikings to actually pull this off they probably have to trade #11, #23 and 2025 first rounder. In return, they hopefully get #3 overall this year and NE's
Mar 15, 2024 19:29:01 GMT -6
glenwo2: Saying that Darnold will have a big smile when he's throwing all the INT's is quite the Take, Reignman. Mar 16, 2024 20:17:05 GMT -6
Nemesis: Good grief....first I hear....and then I hear...I think I better go back to being gone. *woot* ??? Mar 22, 2024 15:24:17 GMT -6
Norseman: You were gone? Mar 22, 2024 22:30:40 GMT -6
Nemesis: I'm a long gone daddy www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtpe6_2nCts Mar 23, 2024 9:39:00 GMT -6
glenwo2: Norseman is Nemesis' Daddy! You heard it here first, folks. Mar 25, 2024 12:26:17 GMT -6
glenwo2: I'm kidding of course, Nemesis. :) Mar 25, 2024 12:27:05 GMT -6
Norseman: How do you know that it isn't true? Mar 25, 2024 14:28:23 GMT -6
glenwo2: Because Nemesis is the Mod and I'm just a punk rookie acting like a goofball. Mar 25, 2024 16:57:35 GMT -6
Nemesis: Plus glenwo2 is probably my dad, he just likes messing with me from the beyond. Mar 26, 2024 17:13:40 GMT -6
Reignman: Oh great, Nemesis believes in ghosts now too? Did ghost dad remember his name or only the first initial after you recited the alphabet? Apr 1, 2024 22:17:26 GMT -6
Nemesis: We agreed before he died that he would use the name "glenwo" and contact me on the PP shoutbox, but the "2" has me a bit confused. Did I miss his first attempt at contact? Apr 5, 2024 8:22:45 GMT -6
glenwo2: Well glenwo1 was busy that day.... Apr 6, 2024 3:01:11 GMT -6
Nemesis: This is amazing. That's exactly what he told me he would say! :'( Apr 13, 2024 16:48:32 GMT -6
slidell: Sell out and do what it takes to get Daniels.Mccarthy and Maye are Ponders waiting to happen Apr 22, 2024 14:37:23 GMT -6
SiteWolf: What about Daniels separates him that much from Maye? His old team didn't whine when he left ASU, his frame as it is right now will struggle to stay healthy with his playing style...so is he really the better prospect? Apr 24, 2024 13:47:01 GMT -6
Shout as:
Refresh
  • Bold
  • Italic
  • Underline
  • Strikethrough
  • Link
  • Insert Smiley
0/256 Send Cancel
© 2022 Purple Pain Forums

Purple Pain Forums is an independent fan website and not associated with the Minnesota Vikings or the National Football League (NFL). The content posted by individuals on this website reflect their personal opinions and in no way reflect the views of the Minnesota Vikings, NFL, or associated properties. Purple Pain Forums and its affiliates are not responsible for any content posted by our users as it is the property of the poster.