Best Minnesota Vikings Draft Picks Through The Years

Apr 8, 2023 15:50:42 GMT -6 0 Replies
Here’s a look at the best pick from each of the 62 drafts of the Minnesota Vikings.

3. Fran Tarkenton, QB, Georgia
No offense to Tommy Mason, the first pick in Vikings franchise history, but this one is easy.

Undrafted. Mick Tingelhoff, C, Nebraska
I’m going the undrafted route with the best pick of 1962. Mick Tingelhoff was the NFL’s best center throughout the 1960s and into the 1970s. He finally made it to Canton in 2015.

4. Paul Flatley, WR, Northwestern
Paul Flatley exploded out of the gate. He took home the league’s Rookie of the Year award in 1963. He earned a Pro Bowl nod in 1966. Flatley was the first in the Vikings great receiver tradition.

The one that got away. I sure wish that the Vikings had managed to wrestle second-round pick Bobby Bell from the Kansas City Chiefs. I have sleepless nights imagining Bell playing linebacker behind the Vikings great defensive line.

1. Carl Eller, DE, Minnesota
Another easy one. Carl Eller is deservedly honored in Canton and is one of the franchise’s greatest football players.

13. Dave Osborn, RB, North Dakota
The 1965 draft is a bit of a hole in the Vikings early acquisition of talent. Top pick, receiver Jack Snow, never played for the Vikings. He was traded to the Los Angeles Rams before he could take a snap in Minnesota. None of that takes anything away from Dave Osborn. He was a very good, productive running back for all of his 11 years with the Vikings.

5. Doug Davis, T, Kentucky
The 1966 draft was another bleak one for the Vikings. Doug Davis was the team’s primary right tackle from 1966-69.

1. Alan Page, DT, Notre Dame
The 1965 and 1966 drafts weren’t great for the Vikings. The 1967 draft was great. It’s arguably the best in franchise history. It helped to have the first of the bounty of picks from the trade of Fran Tarkenton. Clinton Jones, Gene Washington, Alan Page, Bob Grim, Bobby Bryant, and John Beasley all came out of the 1967 draft. Page is arguably the best player in Vikings franchise history.

1. Ron Yary, OT, USC
This is another easy one. The Vikings had the first pick in the 1968 NFL Draft as a result of the Tarkenton trade. They did right with the pick. Ron Yary is honored in Canton. He’s one of the best offensive tackles in league history and arguably the best of his era.

2. Ed White, G, Cal
Ed White is the best Cal player to play for the Vikings. He was an outstanding defensive lineman in college but made a smooth transition to offense. Paired with Yary, the right side of the Vikings offensive line was dominant for about a decade.

10. Stu Voigt, TE, Wisconsin
As a young Vikings fan, I was annoyed by a preseason team evaluation that said that Stu Voigt was a mediocre tight end. It was probably accurate but this young Vikings fan thought that Voigt was great. The 1970 draft wasn’t a good one for the Vikings but Voigt was better than mediocre for nearly all of his 11 years in Minnesota. He was an excellent blocker and reliable receiver.

15. Jeff Wright, S, Minnesota
The 1971 draft was another poor draft for the Vikings. First round pick Leo Hayden is one of the most spectacular busts in franchise history. Hayden and Jeff Wright were the only picks that made the team. Wright formed a solid safety pairing with Paul Krause for about six years.

1. Jeff Siemon, LB, Stanford
Despite his Stanford origins, Jeff Siemon is one of the best middle linebackers in franchise history. He went to four Pro Bowls and probably should’ve gone to a couple more. If felt like he made every damn tackle in Super Bowl XI.

1. Chuck Foreman, RB, Miami
This is another easy one. Chuck Foreman was great. It was so fun to watch him play football. For about five years he was arguably the best running back in the league. He was certainly the most versatile. In my opinion, he should have a bust in Canton.

2. Matt Blair, LB, Iowa State
The 1974 draft was a strong one for the Vikings. Fred McNeill and Steve Riley in the first round. Matt Blair in the second. Steve Craig in the third. It helps to have extra picks. It helps even more to take advantage of those extra picks. Blair was the best of the bunch. He’s also one of the best linebackers in franchise history.

1. Mark Mullaney, DE, Colorado State
Mark Mullaney was the first of a couple on this list that had the unfortunate task of eventually replacing the Purple People Eaters. Carl Eller and Jim Marshall? No one was ever going to effectively replace either of those greats. Mullaney was a very good player for all of his 12 years in Minnesota.

2. Sammy White, WR, Grambling
Sammy White was probably my first favorite Vikings receiver. He was the big play pass-catcher opposite the chain-mover Ahmad Rashad. The White-Rashad pairing was fun. White was the second Vikings receiver to take home Rookie of the Year honors.

9. Scott Studwell, LB, Illinois
The 1977 draft was a very good and very underrated draft for the Vikings. Tommy Kramer, Dennis Swilley, Tom Hannon, Scott Studwell. All four became impact players. Kramer would easily get the nod as best pick of the draft if he’d managed to stay on the field more consistently. When he was on the field, he was a lot of fun and sometimes great. Unfortunately, he was hurt so damn much. Studwell gets the nod because he was consistently available and consistently effective from 1977-90. Add to that his decades in the Vikings front office.

2. John Turner, CB, Miami
First-round pick Randy Holloway was another defensive lineman tasked with replacing legends. Fourth-round pick Jim Hough was a solid offensive lineman for a few years. Second-round pick John Turner gets the nod for solidly starting several more games than Hough.

6. Joe Senser, TE, West Chester State
Joe Senser is one of the great “what ifs” in franchise history. What if an injury hadn’t ended his career? 42 catches for 442 yards and seven touchdowns in 1980. He ripped up the league in 1981. 79 catches for 1004 yards and eight touchdowns. He had more modest production during the 1982 strike-shortened season. An injury wiped out his 1983 season. He tried to come back in 1984 but wasn’t the same player. It was his final season. Senser was on the verge of joining Kellen Winslow and Ozzie Newsome as one of the best tight ends in the league. Then, his career was suddenly over. First-round pick Ted Brown and second-round pick Dave Huffman had longer and better overall careers than Senser but the sixth-round pick from itty bitty West Chester State had one of the most productive seasons in franchise history.

1. Doug Martin, DL, Washington
Doug Martin was the best of the defensive linemen drafted to replace legends. He led the league with 11.5 sacks during the strike-shortened (9 games) 1982 season. He had 13 sacks in 1983. He had a couple nine-sack seasons later in his career. Martin was a very good and underrated football player for the Vikings.

3. Tim Irwin, OT, Tennessee
Tim Irwin is another underrated player for the Vikings. He was a fixture at right tackle for a decade. The Irwin-Gary Zimmerman tackle pairing is one of the team’s best. Irwin impacted the current generation of Vikings players as the youth football coach of Harrison Smith.

7. Steve Jordan, TE, Brown
Steve Jordan is the greatest tight end in Vikings franchise history. The Pro Football Hall of Fame voters should have a discussion about Jordan’s inclusion in Canton. I doubt that he’ll get a bust but his great career should, at the very least, be discussed.

1. Joey Browner, S, USC
Steve Jordan’s career should be discussed by the Hall of Fame voters. Joey Browner should be in the Hall of Fame. He was one of the best safeties of his era. If not for injuries, he’d surely be in Canton. Even with an injury-shortened career, he should be. As a safety peer, Kenny Easley earned a bust based on fewer games played, fewer Pro Bowls, and as many All-Pros. In my opinion, Browner was the better player. At his best, Browner was the equal of Ronnie Lott. Just my opinion. As a side, I recently met Browner’s nephew at a Converse outlet near Sacramento. Had a fun conversation.

1. Keith Millard, DT, Washington State
Another great Vikings football player. Another great career cut short by injury. Another Hall of Fame-worthy player despite that shortened career. At the height of his football talents, Keith Millard routinely wrecked the plans of offenses throughout the league. Put simply, he was a beast. The Vikings had to wait on Millard as he went to the USFL before he stepped on an NFL field. He was worth the wait.

1. Chris Doleman, DE, Pittsburgh
Chris Doleman is deservedly honored in Canton. On a team with a fantastic pass-rushing tradition, he’s one of the best.

3. Kirk Lowdermilk, C, Ohio State
The Vikings have a great pass rushing tradition. They also have a very good center tradition. Kirk Lowdermilk followed in the footsteps of the great Mick Tingelhoff and the solid Dennis Swilley. Lowdermilk effectively carried the Vikings center tradition for six seasons.

3. Henry Thomas, DT, LSU
Henry Thomas is one of the most underrated players in Vikings and recent league history. He was the glue of the great defensive line of Chris Doleman, Keith Millard, and Al Noga.

1. Randall McDaniel, G, Arizona State
This one’s very easy. Randall McDaniel is the best guard that I’ve ever seen. Better than John Hannah. Better than Larry Allen. Better even than the great Steve Hutchinson.

4. Darryl Ingram, TE, Cal
This draft was terrible. Perhaps the nod should go to Mike Merriweather as the Vikings traded their first-round pick to the Pittsburgh Steelers for the linebacker. Of the actual draft picks, only second-round pick David Braxton and fourth-round pick Darryl Ingram made the team and neither made it to a second season. Darryl Ingram gets the nod for the two games that he started for the Vikings and for being a Cal classmate of mine.

Undrafted. John Randle, DT, Texas A&I
I’m again going the undrafted route. John Randle is one of the best, most fun players ever to play for the Vikings. His great career earned him a bust in Canton.

It’s no surprise that I had to go the undrafted route for the 1990 draft as it’s the first of the three consecutive drafts depleted by the infamous Herschel Walker trade. 

3. Jake Reed, WR, Grambling
Jake Reed is the second Grambling receiver on this list. Like Sammy White before him, Reed was the big-play receiver opposite a great chain-moving receiver. Reed and Cris Carter were a great pair.

5. Ed McDaniel, LB, Clemson
Ed McDaniel was a very underrated football player. He was also one of my favorite players from this era.

1. Robert Smith, RB, Ohio State
Once Robert Smith shook the injury bug that plagued him over his first four seasons, he was an outstanding running back. After his eighth and best season, he suddenly retired. His final four seasons were a blast.

1. Todd Steussie, OT, Cal
Another Cal player! Todd Steussie was a very good left tackle on an excellent offensive line. Steussie, Randall McDaniel, Jeff Christy, David Dixon, Korey Stringer. Oh my, that’s a dreamy offensive line.

1. Korey Stringer, OT, Ohio State
Korey Stringer. RIP Big K. I’m still not over his sudden passing.

3. Moe Williams, RB, Kentucky
Moe Williams is probably best known for taking a lateral from Randy Moss in for a score. Williams was a solid, versatile running back for nine seasons.

7. Matthew Hatchette, WR, Langston
I’m picking Matthew Hattchette because I can’t stomach picking Dwayne Rudd. I was thrilled when the Vikings selected Rudd in the first round. He was supposed to be the explosive defensive playmaker that the Vikings desperately needed. Few Vikings players frustrated me more. I quickly grew tired of his excessive celebrations of routine plays. Hattchette was a nice fourth receiver on a loaded, explosive offense.

1. Randy Moss, WR, Marshall
Randy Moss is the most explosive, most physically gifted receiver I’ve ever seen. He’s the third Vikings receiver to be named Rookie of the Year.

2. Jim Kleinsasser, TE, North Dakota
A knee injury keeps Daunte Culpepper from being the pick. Jim Kleinsasser was a great football player. He didn’t have the production now expected from a tight end but he was a dominating blocker. I’ve never seen a better blocking tight end.

1. Chris Hovan, DT, Boston College
Chris Hovan might not have fulfilled all first round expectations but he was a solid interior presence on the Vikings defensive line for a few seasons.

1. Michael Bennett, RB, Wisconsin
Michael Bennett was drafted to replace the suddenly retired Robert Smith. Bennett didn’t hit Smith’s highs but was pretty good for a few seasons.

1. Bryant McKinnie, OT, Miami
Bryant McKinnie could’ve been one of the greatest offensive tackles to ever play. He had the talent. Like Dwayne Rudd, McKinnie rarely did anything but annoy me. It never looked like he was much interested in playing football. Even with little effort he occasionally dominated. He had that much talent. Getting sent home from his lone Pro Bowl for being a dipsh*t was the perfect summation of his career.

1. Kevin Williams, DT, Oklahoma State
Kevin Williams was arguably the best defensive tackle of his era. Paired with Pat Williams on the interior, teams could not run on the “Williams Wall.” Those two teamed with ends Jared Allen and Ray Edwards/Brian Robison to form an excellent defensive line. Kevin Williams had a Canton-worthy career. The top of the Viking 2003 draft class was strong: Williams, E.J. Henderson, and Nate Burleson.

4. Mewelde Moore, RB, Tulane
If leukemia hadn’t ended his career, first-round pick Kenechi Udeze might’ve been the choice for best 2004 pick. Fortunately, Udeze beat the sh*t out of the leukemia but his career was over. He continued his football life as a coach. Mewelde Moore was a solid, versatile back and returner.

None
This draft sucked. Thanks to the sad trade of Randy Moss, the Vikings had two first round picks and blew them both. Troy Williamson was the pick to replace Moss. Huge miss. Erasmus James was supposed to be a pass rushing solution. Another miss. Perhaps making matters worse, the Vikings passed on Aaron Rodgers twice. Considering the clown that he’s become or maybe always was, that doesn’t feel like a mistake. Besides, Daunte Culpepper still had intact knees at the time. If the Vikings were to do the 2005 first round again, DeMarcus Ware and Roddy White would be the picks.

1. Chad Greenway, LB, Iowa
Chad Greenway’s rookie season was erased by a preseason knee injury. He hit the 2007 season running and kept running for the next 10 years. He’s one of the best linebackers in franchise history.

1. Adrian Peterson, RB, Oklahoma
Adrian Peterson is one of the best running backs I’ve ever seen. He could make defenders look silly with speed, moves, and power. 296 yards against the San Diego Chargers as a rookie. 2,097 yards and an MVP award in 2012. He’ll be honored in Canton in a few years.

6. John Sullivan, C, Notre Dame
The Vikings traded a first- and two third-round picks in the 2008 NFL Draft to the Kansas City Chiefs for Jared Allen. So this draft was a bit depleted before it started. It was worth it as Allen was an awesome addition. The selection of John Sullivan was a very good addition. In 2009, he took his place in the Vikings strong center tradition.

1. Percy Harvin, WR, Florida
Percy Harvin was a blast to watch. The only disappointing aspect of his Vikings career was the trade to the Seattle Seahawks after the 2012 season. Harvin was the fourth Vikings receiver to be named Rookie of the Year.

4. Everson Griffen, DE, USC
Everson Griffen spent his first four seasons playing sparingly in the long shadow of Jared Allen. When he took the field full time in 2014, he immediately started terrorizing quarterbacks. He was a fun, great football player.

2. Kyle Rudolph, TE, Notre Dame
If Steve Jordan isn’t the best tight end in Vikings franchise history, Kyle Rudolph is. He was an excellent player and leader for a decade.

1. Harrison Smith, S, Notre Dame
In consecutive years, the Vikings hit twice on Notre Dame players. Harrison Smith has been brilliant since his rookie season. He should’ve been one of the safeties on the 2010s All-Decade team. He will have a Hall of Fame discussion five years after he retires.

1. Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State
For a stretch of 2-3 years, Xavier Rhodes was one of the best cover corners in the league. His best games were those against the best receivers in the league. Undrafted Adam Thielen deserves mention here. His great, long career with the Vikings probably makes him a more deserving choice than Rhodes.

1. Anthony Barr, LB, UCLA
I wish that this choice was Teddy Bridgewater as it’d be nice if the Vikings had drafted a franchise quarterback. That takes nothing away from Anthony Barr. Even if he wasn’t always respected for all that he did on the field, Barr was a very good player and leader for a long time.

3. Danielle Hunter, DE, LSU
The 2015 draft was one of the best in franchise history. Trae Waynes, Eric Kendricks, Danielle Hunter, and Stefon Diggs. Each became a starter and most were impact starters. Kendricks, Hunter, or Diggs could be the pick here. The only knock on Hunter’s excellent career are the two seasons he missed to injury. When healthy, he’s one of the league’s best pass rushers.

7. Stephen Weatherly, DE, Vanderbilt
The 2016 draft wasn’t very productive. First-round pick Laquon Treadwell can safely be called a bust for the Vikings. I’m reluctantly going with Stephen Weatherly as the best pick of this sad draft. Second-round pick Mackensie Alexander might’ve had more and greater highs. In 2018 and 2019, he was one of the better nickel corners in the league. I’m leaning Weatherly because of his decent production as a rotational pass rusher relative to his seventh-round selection. I find it interesting that both players left and returned to the Vikings despite the supposed toxic environment surrounding the team.

2. Dalvin Cook, RB, Florida State
Dalvin Cook’s play makes him an easy choice. The lack of anyone else from the 2017 draft class doing much of anything makes the choice even easier. Cook is a really fun back. I feel like I’m one of the few fans that hopes his Vikings career continues for at least another season.

2. Brian O’Neill, OT, Pittsburgh
Brian O’Neill has developed into one of the best right tackles in the league. The Vikings have had many offensive line issues in recent years. O’Neill isn’t one of them.

3. Alexander Mattison, RB, Boise State
It’d be best for the Vikings if Garrett Bradbury had developed into the center that he was drafted to be. He got an extension, maybe he’ll hit the level expected of a first round pick. Until that happens, Alexander Mattison is the best pick from the 2019 draft. He’s been a reliable #2 to Cook. Like Bradbury, Mattison received a contract extension this offseason. Even if Cook still tops the depth chart, I expect many more carries for Mattison.

1. Justin Jefferson, WR, LSU
What can be said that hasn’t been said about Justin Jefferson. Three years in and he’s the league’s most productive receiver. He’s also one of the league’s most likable players. Jefferson is simply a brilliant football player. He should’ve been the fifth Vikings receiver to be named Rookie of the Year.

1. Christian Darrisaw, OT, Virginia Tech
It’s happened so fast but Justin Jefferson and Christian Darrisaw are probably the best, most important, and most valuable players on the Vikings roster. Darrisaw’s highlights are a riot. He’s a bully. It’s beautiful.

3. Brian Asamoah, LB, Oklahoma
It’s really too early to make this pick. Undrafted punter Ryan Wright probably had the best rookie season. Ed Ingram was the only draft pick to earn a starting role. I’m going with Brian Asamoah because of his fine but scattered rookie moments. He’s penciled in as a starter going into his second season and I expect big things. I also expect big things from Lewis Cine, Andrew Booth Jr., Akayleb Evans, Esezi Otomewo, Ty Chandler, and Jalen Nailor. I expect continued big things from Ryan Wright and great improvement from Ed Ingram.

Here’s hoping that the 2023 draft class of the Minnesota Vikings is filled with elite talent and contributors.

Best Minnesota Vikings Draft Picks Through The Years

Shoutbox

salamander: Not feeling good unless we can find a QB. Haven't had a great one in a looooooong time. Feb 22, 2024 13:43:06 GMT -6
Reignman: March 11th, 2024 will live in history as Kirk Cousins Independence Day *cheerleader* Mar 11, 2024 16:34:20 GMT -6
salbrecht: Why can Pittsburg sign Russel Wilson fo 1.2 million and we get Sam Darnold for 10 million?? Mar 13, 2024 18:31:25 GMT -6
Reignman: when you put it like that, it's a real head scratcher, but this franchise is all about their precious culture, so I imagine they passed on a guy like Russ over something silly like that ... Darnold will have a big smile when he's throwing all the INT's Mar 14, 2024 17:44:47 GMT -6
shandman: If I am NE, I seriously consider getting Justin Fields and roll with Fields/Brisset this year.

For Vikings to actually pull this off they probably have to trade #11, #23 and 2025 first rounder. In return, they hopefully get #3 overall this year and NE's
Mar 15, 2024 19:29:01 GMT -6
glenwo2: Saying that Darnold will have a big smile when he's throwing all the INT's is quite the Take, Reignman. Mar 16, 2024 20:17:05 GMT -6
Nemesis: Good grief....first I hear....and then I hear...I think I better go back to being gone. *woot* ??? Mar 22, 2024 15:24:17 GMT -6
Norseman: You were gone? Mar 22, 2024 22:30:40 GMT -6
Nemesis: I'm a long gone daddy www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtpe6_2nCts Mar 23, 2024 9:39:00 GMT -6
glenwo2: Norseman is Nemesis' Daddy! You heard it here first, folks. Mar 25, 2024 12:26:17 GMT -6
glenwo2: I'm kidding of course, Nemesis. :) Mar 25, 2024 12:27:05 GMT -6
Norseman: How do you know that it isn't true? Mar 25, 2024 14:28:23 GMT -6
glenwo2: Because Nemesis is the Mod and I'm just a punk rookie acting like a goofball. Mar 25, 2024 16:57:35 GMT -6
Nemesis: Plus glenwo2 is probably my dad, he just likes messing with me from the beyond. Mar 26, 2024 17:13:40 GMT -6
Reignman: Oh great, Nemesis believes in ghosts now too? Did ghost dad remember his name or only the first initial after you recited the alphabet? Apr 1, 2024 22:17:26 GMT -6
Nemesis: We agreed before he died that he would use the name "glenwo" and contact me on the PP shoutbox, but the "2" has me a bit confused. Did I miss his first attempt at contact? Apr 5, 2024 8:22:45 GMT -6
glenwo2: Well glenwo1 was busy that day.... Apr 6, 2024 3:01:11 GMT -6
Nemesis: This is amazing. That's exactly what he told me he would say! :'( Apr 13, 2024 16:48:32 GMT -6
slidell: Sell out and do what it takes to get Daniels.Mccarthy and Maye are Ponders waiting to happen Apr 22, 2024 14:37:23 GMT -6
SiteWolf: What about Daniels separates him that much from Maye? His old team didn't whine when he left ASU, his frame as it is right now will struggle to stay healthy with his playing style...so is he really the better prospect? Apr 24, 2024 13:47:01 GMT -6
Shout as:
Refresh
  • Bold
  • Italic
  • Underline
  • Strikethrough
  • Link
  • Insert Smiley
0/256 Send Cancel
© 2022 Purple Pain Forums

Purple Pain Forums is an independent fan website and not associated with the Minnesota Vikings or the National Football League (NFL). The content posted by individuals on this website reflect their personal opinions and in no way reflect the views of the Minnesota Vikings, NFL, or associated properties. Purple Pain Forums and its affiliates are not responsible for any content posted by our users as it is the property of the poster.