Minnesota Vikings 1990s All-Decade Team

Feb 20, 2023 13:38:49 GMT -6 2 Replies
Selecting the best Minnesota Vikings of the 1980s is a challenge. Picking the best of the 1990s team is a relative breeze. The 1990s was an interesting decade for the Vikings. It started with the final two years of Jerry Burns as head coach. It was Dennis Green’s team the rest of the decade. Under Green, the Vikings were competitive every year. The only year that the team didn’t make the playoffs was 1995. After four one-and-dones, Green got his first playoff win in 1997. That win was the appetizer for the brilliant but excruciating 1998 season. The 1990s was a fun decade for the Vikings, especially offensively. Here are some of the best Minnesota Vikings players of the 1990s.

Offense

Quarterback
Randall Cunningham

One of the frustrating aspects of the 1990s Vikings was Dennis Green’s revolving door at quarterback. Instead of showing patience with a young quarterback like Rich Gannon it felt like there was a new “old guy” each year. A couple of those “old guys” were great. Warren Moon and Randall Cunningham. It was football poetry to watch Moon throw to Cris Carter for about 2.5 seasons. Cunningham’s incredible play in 1998 edges Moon for the quarterback spot on this team.

Running back
Robert Smith

Robert Smith is one of the best running backs in franchise history. Once he got past a string of injuries and maladies (chicken pox!), he was great.

Fullback
Rick Fenney

Perhaps it’s the nature of the position he played but I feel like Rick Fenney has been forgotten over the years. The final two years of his career were 1990 and 1991. He was a very good fullback for all of his five years in Minnesota.

Receiver
Cris Carter
Randy Moss
Jake Reed

I’m including all three members of 3-Deep. Cris Carter and Randy Moss are two of the best receivers the league has ever seen. Jake Reed was an excellent big play compliment to Carter for several years. Then Moss joined the team.

Tight end
Steve Jordan

Steve Jordan’s best years were in the latter half of the 1980s. He still had a couple Pro Bowl seasons in the 1990s. Jordan is the best tight end in Vikings franchise history. His was a time in which the tight end position really began to emerge as an offensive weapon. He was one of the league’s best during that time.

Tackles
Gary Zimmerman
Korey Stringer

Gary Zimmerman’s best Vikings years were in the 1980s. He was still very good, if not great, from 1990-92. His protection of whichever quarterback was behind him always looked so effortless. That’s why he ended his career with a bust in Canton. The final three years of his Hall of Fame career edges the seven very good years of Todd Steussie for the left tackle spot on this team. Korey Stringer was a very good football player sadly taken far too soon.

Guards
Randall McDaniel
David Dixon

This is an easy one. Randal McDaniel is a Hall of Famer and one of the 2-3 best guards to ever play. David Dixon didn’t get a lot of attention outside of Minnesota but he was a bulldozing force in the run game.

Center
Jeff Christy

Following Mick Tingelhoff and Kirk Lowdermilk and preceding Matt Birk, Jeff Christy continued the Vikings long, strong center tradition.

Defense

Defensive ends
Chris Doleman
Al Noga

The first few years of the 1990s were the last few years of a great era of Vikings defense. Much of this All-Decade defense is made up of players that made those defenses great. Their peak years were the late 1980s but they still had a couple strong years in the 1990s. Al Noga is an example of that. He edges out Roy Barker, Fernando Smith, and a couple first round busts in Derrick Alexander and Duane Clemons. Chris Doleman was a offense-wrecking pass rusher throughout his 10-year Vikings career and 15-year NFL career. He was even great at 38 when he returned to the Vikings in 1999.

Defensive tackles
John Randle
Henry Thomas

John Randle is a Hall of Famer and one of the best players in franchise history. He was also one of the most fun players. Like Gary Larsen before him, Henry Thomas was a somewhat anonymous difference-maker on an outstanding defensive line.

Linebackers
Ed McDaniel
Jack Del Rio
Mike Merriweather

Ed McDaniel was a steady player and leader of the Vikings defense for much of the decade. Jack Del Rio was the middle linebacker from 1992-95. He was a solid player, earning a Pro Bowl nod in 1994. Those four years gets him the spot here. The Vikings acquired Mike Merriweather from the Pittsburgh Steelers for a first round pick on the eve of the 1988 NFL Draft. I was thrilled with the trade. I just wish that he wasn’t 29 at the time. He was an excellent linebacker for the Steelers. He was close to that player with the Vikings.

Cornerbacks
Carl Lee
DeWayne Washington

From 1988-90, Carl Lee was one of the best cornerbacks in the league. He wasn’t quite that player from 1991-93 but he still gets this spot over Corey Fuller and Jimmy Hitchcock. When DeWayne Washington was selected in the first round of the 1994 NFL Draft, it was the first time the Vikings selected a cornerback in the first round. He was an immediate starter as a rookie and played well for four years. Then he left in free agency. The Vikings should never have let that happen.

Safeties
Orlando Thomas
Robert Griffith

Orlando Thomas paced the league with nine interceptions as a rookie in 1995. He looked like he was going to be cornerstone player. He probably would’ve been if injuries hadn’t peppered his career and ultimately shortened it. In his seven years in Minnesota, he played 16 games twice. Thomas was a very good football player. He could’ve been a great football player. Robert Griffith was a steady player and team leader for eight years. He made one Pro Bowl but should’ve made more.

Kicker
Gary Anderson

Sadly, Gary Anderson will always be remembered for the kick he missed rather than all the kicks he made.

Punter
Mitch Berger

Mitch Berger was an excellent punter for the Vikings from 1996-2001. He made the Pro Bowl in 1999.

Returner
David Palmer

David Palmer was a fun, versatile player for the Vikings. I always felt that his talents could’ve been used a bit more. Perhaps a lot more.

It's a real shame that the Vikings defense that entered the 1990s couldn't have been combined with the offense that closed the 1990s.

Shoutbox

salamander: Not feeling good unless we can find a QB. Haven't had a great one in a looooooong time. Feb 22, 2024 13:43:06 GMT -6
Reignman: March 11th, 2024 will live in history as Kirk Cousins Independence Day *cheerleader* Mar 11, 2024 16:34:20 GMT -6
salbrecht: Why can Pittsburg sign Russel Wilson fo 1.2 million and we get Sam Darnold for 10 million?? Mar 13, 2024 18:31:25 GMT -6
Reignman: when you put it like that, it's a real head scratcher, but this franchise is all about their precious culture, so I imagine they passed on a guy like Russ over something silly like that ... Darnold will have a big smile when he's throwing all the INT's Mar 14, 2024 17:44:47 GMT -6
shandman: If I am NE, I seriously consider getting Justin Fields and roll with Fields/Brisset this year.

For Vikings to actually pull this off they probably have to trade #11, #23 and 2025 first rounder. In return, they hopefully get #3 overall this year and NE's
Mar 15, 2024 19:29:01 GMT -6
glenwo2: Saying that Darnold will have a big smile when he's throwing all the INT's is quite the Take, Reignman. Mar 16, 2024 20:17:05 GMT -6
Nemesis: Good grief....first I hear....and then I hear...I think I better go back to being gone. *woot* ??? Mar 22, 2024 15:24:17 GMT -6
Norseman: You were gone? Mar 22, 2024 22:30:40 GMT -6
Nemesis: I'm a long gone daddy www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtpe6_2nCts Mar 23, 2024 9:39:00 GMT -6
glenwo2: Norseman is Nemesis' Daddy! You heard it here first, folks. Mar 25, 2024 12:26:17 GMT -6
glenwo2: I'm kidding of course, Nemesis. :) Mar 25, 2024 12:27:05 GMT -6
Norseman: How do you know that it isn't true? Mar 25, 2024 14:28:23 GMT -6
glenwo2: Because Nemesis is the Mod and I'm just a punk rookie acting like a goofball. Mar 25, 2024 16:57:35 GMT -6
Nemesis: Plus glenwo2 is probably my dad, he just likes messing with me from the beyond. Mar 26, 2024 17:13:40 GMT -6
Reignman: Oh great, Nemesis believes in ghosts now too? Did ghost dad remember his name or only the first initial after you recited the alphabet? Apr 1, 2024 22:17:26 GMT -6
Nemesis: We agreed before he died that he would use the name "glenwo" and contact me on the PP shoutbox, but the "2" has me a bit confused. Did I miss his first attempt at contact? Apr 5, 2024 8:22:45 GMT -6
glenwo2: Well glenwo1 was busy that day.... Apr 6, 2024 3:01:11 GMT -6
Nemesis: This is amazing. That's exactly what he told me he would say! :'( Apr 13, 2024 16:48:32 GMT -6
slidell: Sell out and do what it takes to get Daniels.Mccarthy and Maye are Ponders waiting to happen Apr 22, 2024 14:37:23 GMT -6
SiteWolf: What about Daniels separates him that much from Maye? His old team didn't whine when he left ASU, his frame as it is right now will struggle to stay healthy with his playing style...so is he really the better prospect? Apr 24, 2024 13:47:01 GMT -6
Shout as:
Refresh
  • Bold
  • Italic
  • Underline
  • Strikethrough
  • Link
  • Insert Smiley
0/256 Send Cancel
© 2022 Purple Pain Forums

Purple Pain Forums is an independent fan website and not associated with the Minnesota Vikings or the National Football League (NFL). The content posted by individuals on this website reflect their personal opinions and in no way reflect the views of the Minnesota Vikings, NFL, or associated properties. Purple Pain Forums and its affiliates are not responsible for any content posted by our users as it is the property of the poster.