The Development of the 1969 Minnesota Vikings

Dec 10, 2022 15:31:07 GMT -6 0 Replies
I recently read Joe Kapp's book A Life of Leadership: Joe Kapp "The Toughest Chicano." It's a fun read. That's no surprise as every book about the 1960s Minnesota Vikings is a fun read. They were fun teams. Kapp's time with the Vikings is a bit before my time but I've read, heard, and learned enough about those teams that I feel as if I actually experienced them. Kapp joined the Vikings in 1967. That was the same year that Bud Grant was hired as head coach. After six years of entertaining but mediocre, at best, play, winning football games was about to become the norm in Minnesota. The Vikings won their first division title in 1968. They won the NFL title in 1969. The 1969 team isn't thought of as a champion because they unfortunately went on to lose to the Kansas City Chiefs in Super Bowl IV. That day wasn't their day but the 1969 Minnesota Vikings team is still one of the best in NFL history. In his book, Kapp put together an interesting chart that details how the 1969 Vikings team was put together. The chart broke the team down by the year each player joined the team and their position. The most interesting feature of Kapp’s chart is that he lists a value that each player brought to the team. I've never seen a player, coach, general manager, anybody do such a thing. Kapp called it the Development of the 1969 Minnesota Vikings.

Player/Position/Value
1961 (3-11)
Grady Alderman, T: Control
Paul Dickson, DT: Loyalty
Jim Marshall, DE: Spirit
Ed Sharockman, CB: Commitment

1962 (2-11-1)
Fred Cox, K: Responsibility
Mick Tingelhoff, C: Determination
Roy Winston, LB: Wisdom

1963 (5-8-1)
Bill Brown, FB: Toughness
Karl Kassulke, S: Enthusiasm

1964 (8-5-1)
Carl Eller, DE: Confidence
Milt Sunde, G: Dedication

1965 (7-7)
Dale Hackbart, S: Humor
Gary Larsen, DT: Effort
Earsell Mackbee, CB: Concentration
Dave Osborn, RB: Perseverance
Lonnie Warwick, LB: Intensity

1966 (4-9-1)
Doug Davis, T: Awareness
Jim Lindsey, RB: Reliability
Jim Vellone, G: Empathy

1967 (3-8-3)
John Beasley, TE: Faith
Bobby Bryant, CB: Courage
Bob Grim, WR: Poise
Jim Hargrove, LB: Steadiness
Clint Jones, RB: Attitude
Joe Kapp, QB: Hunger
Alan Page, DT: Resourcefulness
Gene Washington, WR: Respect

1968 (8-6) Central Division Champs
Bookie Bolin, G: Cooperation
Gary Cuozzo, QB: Pride
John Henderson, WR: Courtesy
Paul Krause, S: Patience
Bob Lee, QB: Ambition
Mike McGill, LB: Judgement
Oscar Reed, RB: Desire
Steve Smith, DT: Harmony
Charlie West, DB: Integrity
Ron Yary, T: Trust

1969 (12-2) NFL Champs, lost Super Bowl IV
Kent Kramer, TE: Balance
Bill Harris, RB: Initiative
Wally Hilgenberg, LB: Aggression
Mike Riley, LB: Alertness
Ed White, G: Madness

I find the last one funny. Ed White was an All-American defensive lineman at Cal. The Vikings successfully flipped him to the offensive line. Kapp felt that White brought madness to the team. 

I've long known Dale Hackbart as a hard-hitting, versatile safety for the 1960s Vikings. From Kapp's book, I discovered that his versatility stretched beyond the football field. Kapp valued Hackbart for his humor. The always smiling safety's ability to make his teammates laugh kept the team loose.

Some aren’t a surprise at all:
Jim Marshall: Spirit
Mick Tingelhoff: Determination
Bill Brown: Toughness
Karl Kassulke: Enthusiasm
Gary Larsen: Effort
Dave Osborn: Perseverance
Paul Krause: Patience
Wally Hilgenberg: Aggression

And Joe Kapp was definitely Hungry. Always hungry. 

So many things make a football team a TEAM. This is an interesting, inside look at what made one of the best teams in Vikings franchise history.

Roster note: With a roster much smaller than today, the Vikings still kept six running backs. It was a very different time.

The Development of the 1969 Minnesota Vikings

Shoutbox

Purple Pain: Pick 6 Playoffs Edition for Championship Weekend: purplepainforums.com/thread/7572/pick-playoffs-edition-championship-weekend Jan 25, 2024 11:02:04 GMT -6
Purple Pain: Pick 6 Playoffs Edition for the Super Bowl is up: purplepainforums.com/thread/7585/pick-playoffs-edition-super-lviii Jan 31, 2024 11:33:55 GMT -6
salamander: Not feeling good unless we can find a QB. Haven't had a great one in a looooooong time. Feb 22, 2024 13:43:06 GMT -6
Reignman: March 11th, 2024 will live in history as Kirk Cousins Independence Day *cheerleader* Mar 11, 2024 16:34:20 GMT -6
salbrecht: Why can Pittsburg sign Russel Wilson fo 1.2 million and we get Sam Darnold for 10 million?? Mar 13, 2024 18:31:25 GMT -6
Reignman: when you put it like that, it's a real head scratcher, but this franchise is all about their precious culture, so I imagine they passed on a guy like Russ over something silly like that ... Darnold will have a big smile when he's throwing all the INT's Mar 14, 2024 17:44:47 GMT -6
shandman: If I am NE, I seriously consider getting Justin Fields and roll with Fields/Brisset this year.

For Vikings to actually pull this off they probably have to trade #11, #23 and 2025 first rounder. In return, they hopefully get #3 overall this year and NE's
Mar 15, 2024 19:29:01 GMT -6
glenwo2: Saying that Darnold will have a big smile when he's throwing all the INT's is quite the Take, Reignman. Mar 16, 2024 20:17:05 GMT -6
Nemesis: Good grief....first I hear....and then I hear...I think I better go back to being gone. *woot* ??? Mar 22, 2024 15:24:17 GMT -6
Norseman: You were gone? Mar 22, 2024 22:30:40 GMT -6
Nemesis: I'm a long gone daddy www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtpe6_2nCts Mar 23, 2024 9:39:00 GMT -6
glenwo2: Norseman is Nemesis' Daddy! You heard it here first, folks. Mar 25, 2024 12:26:17 GMT -6
glenwo2: I'm kidding of course, Nemesis. :) Mar 25, 2024 12:27:05 GMT -6
Norseman: How do you know that it isn't true? Mar 25, 2024 14:28:23 GMT -6
glenwo2: Because Nemesis is the Mod and I'm just a punk rookie acting like a goofball. Mar 25, 2024 16:57:35 GMT -6
Nemesis: Plus glenwo2 is probably my dad, he just likes messing with me from the beyond. Mar 26, 2024 17:13:40 GMT -6
Reignman: Oh great, Nemesis believes in ghosts now too? Did ghost dad remember his name or only the first initial after you recited the alphabet? Apr 1, 2024 22:17:26 GMT -6
Nemesis: We agreed before he died that he would use the name "glenwo" and contact me on the PP shoutbox, but the "2" has me a bit confused. Did I miss his first attempt at contact? Apr 5, 2024 8:22:45 GMT -6
glenwo2: Well glenwo1 was busy that day.... Apr 6, 2024 3:01:11 GMT -6
Nemesis: This is amazing. That's exactly what he told me he would say! :'( Apr 13, 2024 16:48:32 GMT -6
Shout as:
Refresh
  • Bold
  • Italic
  • Underline
  • Strikethrough
  • Link
  • Insert Smiley
0/256 Send Cancel
© 2022 Purple Pain Forums

Purple Pain Forums is an independent fan website and not associated with the Minnesota Vikings or the National Football League (NFL). The content posted by individuals on this website reflect their personal opinions and in no way reflect the views of the Minnesota Vikings, NFL, or associated properties. Purple Pain Forums and its affiliates are not responsible for any content posted by our users as it is the property of the poster.