Vikings at Lions Depth Chart Preview W14 2022

Dec 9, 2022 23:42:50 GMT -6 4 Replies
After yet another one score win, the Vikings line up against a feisty Lions squad that is somehow favored to win this one. Will they be able to make it to 11-2?

Injury Report

Vikings
DE Bullard - Out
C Bradbury - Questionable
S Smith - Questionable
LT Darrisaw - Questionable

Lions
G Awosika - Out
LB Barnes - Out
CB Lucas - Out
C Brown - Doubtful
CB Harris - Questionable
CB Okudah - Questionable
WR Raymond - Questionable
QB Sudfeld - Questionable

Line: DET -2 (51% of bets on Vikings)
SuperSim Calculated Line: MIN -9

Notes:

Last time we played, the Lions lost both Swift and St. Brown midway through the game to injuries. Both are now fully healthy and the Lions have already had a ton of success with Jamaal Williams, and with his ability to punch in TDs, they shouldn't have the redzone woes the Jets did. Swift is capable of doing what Tony Pollard did to this defense, it's really a matter of whether their OC schemes in some routes against LBs for him. Losing Hockenson is a pretty big blow since the TE depth chart is mostly 3rd stringers/practice squad types. Josh Reynolds had his biggest game of the year carving up our defense Week 3, and he could be down for more of that with St. Brown drawing attenion. To be fair, we didn't cover him well last time either.

Jameson Williams played his first game last week, but only played 8 snaps. I'd expect 10-20 this week, so don't expect him to have a huge impact.

The Lions OL quieted our pass rush in Week 3 (0 sacks), and is still in great shape. Their primary weakness is RG Stenberg, who was benched for a UDFA. Perhaps Tomlinson can line up on him?

Defensively this unit is still very bad, but they've shown some improvement. They have 3 rookie starters playing at an at least average level, with Joseph recently stepping up and seizing the SS role. Hutchinson isn't quite the monster some envisioned, but he's certainly been better than #1 pick Travon Walker.

The D-line is quite bad against the run, with McNeill being the best stuffer of the group by far. Brockers appears to be cooked and hasn't been getting snaps anymore. They desperately need a 3 tech. The LB position is also quite bad, with 5th rounder Rodriguez being the only positive contributor. It is worth noting that rookie OLB James Houston has 3 sacks the past 2 weeks, which were also his first two games.

The CB room is intriguing, as both Oruwariye and Hughes have been benched. Jacobs has stepped up as the #2 and former safety Harris is locked into the slot CB job. Former top 5 pick Jeffrey Okudah is finally beginning to live up to his draft billing, and he was able to shut down Jefferson in Week 3 (albeit with a bunch of mugging that somehow didn't result in flags).

Prediction: Lions 35, Vikings 26

This has the feel of a grind-it-out divisional game that we should win on paper, but we don't because you simply can't win them all. The Lions' roster is healthier and has players stepping up, and I suspect they will come out swinging and playing more physical than the Vikings. To be frank, I don't think this game will end up being all that important of a loss - perhaps we'll see some regression in the luck category / have some bad penalties or turnovers that usually don't happen to this 2022 Vikings squad.

Any thoughts?

Vikings at Lions Depth Chart Preview W14 2022

Shoutbox

Purple Pain: Pick 6 Playoffs Edition for Championship Weekend: purplepainforums.com/thread/7572/pick-playoffs-edition-championship-weekend Jan 25, 2024 11:02:04 GMT -6
Purple Pain: Pick 6 Playoffs Edition for the Super Bowl is up: purplepainforums.com/thread/7585/pick-playoffs-edition-super-lviii Jan 31, 2024 11:33:55 GMT -6
salamander: Not feeling good unless we can find a QB. Haven't had a great one in a looooooong time. Feb 22, 2024 13:43:06 GMT -6
Reignman: March 11th, 2024 will live in history as Kirk Cousins Independence Day *cheerleader* Mar 11, 2024 16:34:20 GMT -6
salbrecht: Why can Pittsburg sign Russel Wilson fo 1.2 million and we get Sam Darnold for 10 million?? Mar 13, 2024 18:31:25 GMT -6
Reignman: when you put it like that, it's a real head scratcher, but this franchise is all about their precious culture, so I imagine they passed on a guy like Russ over something silly like that ... Darnold will have a big smile when he's throwing all the INT's Mar 14, 2024 17:44:47 GMT -6
shandman: If I am NE, I seriously consider getting Justin Fields and roll with Fields/Brisset this year.

For Vikings to actually pull this off they probably have to trade #11, #23 and 2025 first rounder. In return, they hopefully get #3 overall this year and NE's
Mar 15, 2024 19:29:01 GMT -6
glenwo2: Saying that Darnold will have a big smile when he's throwing all the INT's is quite the Take, Reignman. Mar 16, 2024 20:17:05 GMT -6
Nemesis: Good grief....first I hear....and then I hear...I think I better go back to being gone. *woot* ??? Mar 22, 2024 15:24:17 GMT -6
Norseman: You were gone? Mar 22, 2024 22:30:40 GMT -6
Nemesis: I'm a long gone daddy www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtpe6_2nCts Mar 23, 2024 9:39:00 GMT -6
glenwo2: Norseman is Nemesis' Daddy! You heard it here first, folks. Mar 25, 2024 12:26:17 GMT -6
glenwo2: I'm kidding of course, Nemesis. :) Mar 25, 2024 12:27:05 GMT -6
Norseman: How do you know that it isn't true? Mar 25, 2024 14:28:23 GMT -6
glenwo2: Because Nemesis is the Mod and I'm just a punk rookie acting like a goofball. Mar 25, 2024 16:57:35 GMT -6
Nemesis: Plus glenwo2 is probably my dad, he just likes messing with me from the beyond. Mar 26, 2024 17:13:40 GMT -6
Reignman: Oh great, Nemesis believes in ghosts now too? Did ghost dad remember his name or only the first initial after you recited the alphabet? Apr 1, 2024 22:17:26 GMT -6
Nemesis: We agreed before he died that he would use the name "glenwo" and contact me on the PP shoutbox, but the "2" has me a bit confused. Did I miss his first attempt at contact? Apr 5, 2024 8:22:45 GMT -6
glenwo2: Well glenwo1 was busy that day.... Apr 6, 2024 3:01:11 GMT -6
Nemesis: This is amazing. That's exactly what he told me he would say! :'( Apr 13, 2024 16:48:32 GMT -6
Shout as:
Refresh
  • Bold
  • Italic
  • Underline
  • Strikethrough
  • Link
  • Insert Smiley
0/256 Send Cancel
© 2022 Purple Pain Forums

Purple Pain Forums is an independent fan website and not associated with the Minnesota Vikings or the National Football League (NFL). The content posted by individuals on this website reflect their personal opinions and in no way reflect the views of the Minnesota Vikings, NFL, or associated properties. Purple Pain Forums and its affiliates are not responsible for any content posted by our users as it is the property of the poster.