Cardinals at Vikings Depth Chart Preview 2022

Oct 28, 2022 22:58:58 GMT -6 3 Replies
Off to a roaring 5-1 start, the Vikings face two below .500 teams before facing the mighty Bills. Will they continue their streak of sloppily taking out the trash, or is this a trap week? Or finally a blowout week?

Injury Report

Vikings
DE Bullard - Questionable

Cardinals
RB Connor - Out
LG Garcia - Out
C Hudson - Out
CB Matthew - Out
LT Humphries - Questionable
CB Murphy - Questionable
K Prater - Questionable
RB Williams - Questionable

Line: Vikings -3.5 (75% of bets on Cardinals)
Super Sim Calculated Line: Vikings -4

*My Thoughts*

The Cardinals have had a rough season so far, and the offense is not where it should be with the amount of money and years Arizona has handed out to Kingsbury and Murray. Most games they are a complete no-show in the first half, and have to rally in the second half just to put points on the board. Murray simply hasn't been the same player that he was in the first half of 2021, as his accuracy has dropped off and teams have been cracking down on his scrambling. Still, with the way our defense is giving up yards, the Cardinals will have plenty of chances to score points. It'll mostly be through the air, as their running game has been rough outside of QB runs. Conner is out and Williams likely won't play, but Eno Benjamin, a 2020 7th rounder, has shown some burst as he's averaging 4.6 yards per carry.

The main problem has been a bad offensive line, and I can't quite remember the last time I saw a unit with one above average player, and all below average and abysmal players. DJ Humphries is a solid blindside blocker who has been elite this year as a pass blocker. Beachum is a middling RT who is usually better in the run department. The main problem has been the interior, which has been ravaged by injuries, but it was poorly constructed in the first place. They acquired two 2nd round busts that Vikings fans should be familiar with - Cody Ford and Will Hernandez. Both appear to be in line to start, but they are both bad run blockers, while Hernandez is servicable against the pass while Ford is horrid. Hudson wasn't playing well before getting hurt, and they brought in a 1st round bust to fill that spot in Billy Price. He rebounded with the Giants last year after being unplayable with the Bengals, but he's still not good. Their interior is literally is reunion of IOL prospects we scouted, except they all stink!

At receiver, the Cardinals looked to have a lethal duo with Hopkins and Hollywood Brown, but the later suffered a foot injury and won't be back til late December. Hopkins looked great last week and will be a problem for whichever CB he goes up against, and he could play in the slot. I'd try to get Peterson on him, but the Vikings usually keep their CBs on one side. Rondale Moore is a speedy athlete, but he's been ineffective at anything other than flat and screen passes. He did have a career game against us last year. Robbie Anderson is a wildcard, he has the ability to be a quality deep receiver but has problems with drops - he had a 4 drop game against us last year! Zach Ertz isn't what he used to be, but he's not bad and could have a big day against our LBs in coverage. I wonder if 2nd rounder McBride might start to get more usage.

On defense, the Cardinals are 27th in points allowed and are filled with average players. Their run defense has been clutch, and this year it's been lead by fourth year breakout Zach Allen, whom after three disappointing seasons is dominating. PFF still likes Watt, but he's not close to what he was in his prime, though he is still a great run defender. The others on the DL are not notable, and mostly stuff the run over bringing an interior rush. Arizona's pass rush has been feeble this year, with Watt leading with 2.5 sacks. They miss Chandler Jones (though he's not doing much for the Raiders), as Markus Golden is a nice player but not good enough to be a #1 pass rusher. Zaven Collins has split some time at edge rusher (a la what we dreamed Anthony Barr could be) and has been fine, with 2 sacks and 8 pressures. The depth consisting of Dimukeje and Gardeck (who has played well in a small sample size) is not going to get it done against the big boys. Isaiah Simmons has been an average LB, but nothing close to what he was hyped up as a prospect coming out of Clemson.

The CB group is incredibly vulnerable, while the safeties are very solid. Byron Murphy is a solid starting CB in a zone scheme, but doesn't have the speed to go up against most receivers 1-on-1. Meanwhile, Marco Wilson has been getting shredded in coverage, but they have no depth behind him. Hamilton is a career backup who is getting his first extended chance (in his 7th year!) and has held his own reasonably well, but with CB being a problem for years, they've simply continued to neglect it. They do have a special player in Budda Baker, of whom I think PFF undersells. He's a Harrison Smith type who can be a force in the box and blitz a bit, but can cover deep downfield if need be. Jalen Thompson is highly underrated, as a solid coverage safety and an elite tackler.

Prediction: Vikings 31, Cardinals 26

It is about time the Vikings put 30+ up on a team, and the Cardinals are a prime candidate. However, I think their offense clicks against our defense and mounts a second half comeback that falls short. When push comes to shove, the Vikings should win this one in the trenches with the weaknesses on their OL and their inability to rush the passer. Arizona will need to blitz, thus allowing our receivers to get open, while the Vikings should be able to get to Murray with their front four. I fully expect a 3 to 7 point victory with the way the Cardinals play in the second half of games.

Any thoughts?

Cardinals at Vikings Depth Chart Preview 2022

Shoutbox

Purple Pain: Pick 6 Playoffs Edition for the Super Bowl is up: purplepainforums.com/thread/7585/pick-playoffs-edition-super-lviii Jan 31, 2024 11:33:55 GMT -6
salamander: Not feeling good unless we can find a QB. Haven't had a great one in a looooooong time. Feb 22, 2024 13:43:06 GMT -6
Reignman: March 11th, 2024 will live in history as Kirk Cousins Independence Day *cheerleader* Mar 11, 2024 16:34:20 GMT -6
salbrecht: Why can Pittsburg sign Russel Wilson fo 1.2 million and we get Sam Darnold for 10 million?? Mar 13, 2024 18:31:25 GMT -6
Reignman: when you put it like that, it's a real head scratcher, but this franchise is all about their precious culture, so I imagine they passed on a guy like Russ over something silly like that ... Darnold will have a big smile when he's throwing all the INT's Mar 14, 2024 17:44:47 GMT -6
shandman: If I am NE, I seriously consider getting Justin Fields and roll with Fields/Brisset this year.

For Vikings to actually pull this off they probably have to trade #11, #23 and 2025 first rounder. In return, they hopefully get #3 overall this year and NE's
Mar 15, 2024 19:29:01 GMT -6
glenwo2: Saying that Darnold will have a big smile when he's throwing all the INT's is quite the Take, Reignman. Mar 16, 2024 20:17:05 GMT -6
Nemesis: Good grief....first I hear....and then I hear...I think I better go back to being gone. *woot* ??? Mar 22, 2024 15:24:17 GMT -6
Norseman: You were gone? Mar 22, 2024 22:30:40 GMT -6
Nemesis: I'm a long gone daddy www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtpe6_2nCts Mar 23, 2024 9:39:00 GMT -6
glenwo2: Norseman is Nemesis' Daddy! You heard it here first, folks. Mar 25, 2024 12:26:17 GMT -6
glenwo2: I'm kidding of course, Nemesis. :) Mar 25, 2024 12:27:05 GMT -6
Norseman: How do you know that it isn't true? Mar 25, 2024 14:28:23 GMT -6
glenwo2: Because Nemesis is the Mod and I'm just a punk rookie acting like a goofball. Mar 25, 2024 16:57:35 GMT -6
Nemesis: Plus glenwo2 is probably my dad, he just likes messing with me from the beyond. Mar 26, 2024 17:13:40 GMT -6
Reignman: Oh great, Nemesis believes in ghosts now too? Did ghost dad remember his name or only the first initial after you recited the alphabet? Apr 1, 2024 22:17:26 GMT -6
Nemesis: We agreed before he died that he would use the name "glenwo" and contact me on the PP shoutbox, but the "2" has me a bit confused. Did I miss his first attempt at contact? Apr 5, 2024 8:22:45 GMT -6
glenwo2: Well glenwo1 was busy that day.... Apr 6, 2024 3:01:11 GMT -6
Nemesis: This is amazing. That's exactly what he told me he would say! :'( Apr 13, 2024 16:48:32 GMT -6
slidell: Sell out and do what it takes to get Daniels.Mccarthy and Maye are Ponders waiting to happen Apr 22, 2024 14:37:23 GMT -6
Shout as:
Refresh
  • Bold
  • Italic
  • Underline
  • Strikethrough
  • Link
  • Insert Smiley
0/256 Send Cancel
© 2022 Purple Pain Forums

Purple Pain Forums is an independent fan website and not associated with the Minnesota Vikings or the National Football League (NFL). The content posted by individuals on this website reflect their personal opinions and in no way reflect the views of the Minnesota Vikings, NFL, or associated properties. Purple Pain Forums and its affiliates are not responsible for any content posted by our users as it is the property of the poster.