Purple Path Forward - Week 8 - Cardinals Football is Hard

Oct 25, 2022 19:19:04 GMT -6 16 Replies
The Vikings have to take this game seriously because Kyler Murray is definitely going to thumb through the game plan after one last round of Call of Duty ... maybe two... three at most.

The Cardinals have an interesting split that I have to start with:
Record when getting two or more interceptions: 2-0
Record when getting zero interceptions: 1-4 (The one win was an overtime victory over the 2-4 Raiders when the Cardinals returned a fumble for a touchdown in overtime, so not a convincing win)
Games with exactly one interception: 0

The first question is: how did the Cardinals get these interceptions, and how do the Vikings avoid them? I looked at all five of the Cardinals' interceptions to see if there was a defensive trend.

Interception 1 – This is a deep throw to D.J. Moore. Baker Mayfield’s pass was way behind Moore, who tipped it to a lurking safety. The announcer said, “He had him [open for the completion]!” but this looks like pretty good defense to me. The interception was lucky off a tip, but this was a small window on a deep out. Some credit to the defense for making a small window, but the interception was lucky.

Interception 2 – Here you can see Mayfield doing one of the worst things a quarterback can do: Being 6-foot-1. The throw was open but never got there.

Interception 3 – Andy Dalton thinks this is “open.” You can form your own opinion. If you’re having trouble reading the number on that receiver, that’s intended for Marquez Callaway.

With two guys around Callaway, you might wonder if there was a better option for Dalton or if this was the best there was amid smothering defense, there was a better option.

Interception 4 – Here Callaway is back deciding if he should catch the ball or tip it to a Cardinals defender; he chose the latter.

Interception 5
– Pressure forces bad decisions. Dalton tries to hit Olave on a cross but leaves the pass woefully short, leading to a pick 6. Juwan Johnson and Alvin Kamara were both open.

My conclusion on Arizona's interceptions is that the Cardinals are doing what the Vikings do and taking away deep passes first. Numbers one, three, and five are all deep shots that go wrong with better, open options shorter. The second and fourth examples are just tipped balls. There isn't any magic or scheme here, the Cardinals just benefitted from a few egregiously bad throws and tipped balls. The good news is the Vikings haven’t been falling into the trap of forcing deep balls. This is good news, but it’s just O'Connell running his normal offense. That means that the key to beating Arizona looks like it will be on the Cardinals' offense vs. Vikings' defense because a key to the game has to be something interesting or unique.

Cardinals Passing Game Breakdown
I pointed this out with Jalen Hurts: “running” QBs are passers first and runners second. Stopping a mobile quarterback will almost always come down to shutting down their ability to throw the ball. Want proof? Here is Murray’s passer rating and rush yards per attempt in 2021 and 2022:

Stopping Murray’s passing will be the key. More good news, the Cardinals are already slowing themselves down. When I looked into the Cardinals and Murray’s history, I was shocked at how much of a drop off there has been in explosiveness. Here are Murray’s Passing yards per completion and Air Yards Per completion:

2019: 6.9 (Yards per Attempt ) / 5.4 (Air Yards per Completion)
2020: 7.1 / 5.9
2021: 7.9 / 6.0
2022: 5.9 / 4.3 (Second lowest in the league, ahead of only the Packers)

Knowing that Murray can scramble to set up a pass, the next thing I started to dig into seeing if there are tricks or trends to his mobility. One of the great oversimplifications in football is “He’s a running QB,” as if QBs can be boiled down to a box score or Madden speed rating. The reality is that QB runs, especially scrambles, are high-pressure plays where individual human quirks can be found.

So where does Kyler Murray run? I started with nextgenstats.nfl.com/ looking for something like this (but for Murray).

Turns out that AWS doesn’t track runs for QBs. So next gen stats can tell me who can run 19.73 mph and when I might need more cat food, but not which direction Kyler Murray runs. I’ll do this the hard way. Step 1: Find which games are interesting by looking at his rush totals:

I chose Carolina because they held him to a really low yards per carry. Seattle because they didn’t, and Philadelphia as a confirmation to Seattle.

Now I have to warn you, prepare yourself for a picture that is much uglier than AWS, but maybe, more interesting. I watched those three games and estimated Murray’s runs.
Light Blue vs. Carolina
Black vs. Eagles
Puke vs. Seahawks
Gray: called back due to penalty
Red: Touchdown

This was way more useful than a chart because, while watching, I realized three things that are critical for the Vikings to stop Murray:

1) Murray almost always scrambles to his right. The only times he runs left is if he has no other choice. Additionally, Murray has taken sacks looking to run right before realizing his only out is left.
2) Murray scrambles around the outside. He rarely scrambles up the middle.
3) Designed runs for Murray almost always go up the middle. On that chart, the lines that start going straight upfield are almost exclusively called QB runs.

It turns out the Seahawks and Eagles were both victims of that third trend. They both allowed draw plays to beat them up the middle. This is a very different challenge to stop than week 2 vs the Eagles when Jalen Hurts ran almost exclusively outside. If you take nothing else away from this article, you can be confident that Jalen Hurts and Kyler Murray are, in fact, different people.

With the Cardinals’ passing game is significantly less explosive this year than in prior years. Their run game isn’t different enough to make me think of that as a differentiator. If the Vikings can force a few negative plays, the Cardinals' offense will be hard-pressed to dig out of a hole. Even with Marquise Brown out, Rondale more is a capable enough running mate to Deandre Hopkins. Patrick Peterson did a great job on Hopkins in 2021, so I think this is a plus matchup for the Vikings. The key will be to prevent Murray from buying time to hit big plays.

How to Beat the Cardinals
I’m going to trust that the offense can do their jobs. The Cardinals are 27th in both yards and points allowed, and from what I saw, their generation of turnovers was as much opponents shooting themselves in the foot as it was good defense.

The key to the game will be to stop Murray from making explosive plays with his legs. There is where his running tendency can be exploited in two ways:

1) Be prepared for designed, up-the-middle runs – these will probably happen anyway just by the nature of Murray, a few won’t lose the game.
2) Focus pressure on getting rushers from the defensive left side (Murray’s right side) the Vikings can make him uncomfortable and give extra breathing room to the coverage team or force Murray to run to his left where he is less comfortable. If Minnesota can do this, Arizona's passing game should flounder, and the Vikings' offense should easily outpace the Cardinals' defense.

Purple Path Forward - Week 8 - Cardinals Football is Hard

Shoutbox

salamander: Not feeling good unless we can find a QB. Haven't had a great one in a looooooong time. Feb 22, 2024 13:43:06 GMT -6
Reignman: March 11th, 2024 will live in history as Kirk Cousins Independence Day *cheerleader* Mar 11, 2024 16:34:20 GMT -6
salbrecht: Why can Pittsburg sign Russel Wilson fo 1.2 million and we get Sam Darnold for 10 million?? Mar 13, 2024 18:31:25 GMT -6
Reignman: when you put it like that, it's a real head scratcher, but this franchise is all about their precious culture, so I imagine they passed on a guy like Russ over something silly like that ... Darnold will have a big smile when he's throwing all the INT's Mar 14, 2024 17:44:47 GMT -6
shandman: If I am NE, I seriously consider getting Justin Fields and roll with Fields/Brisset this year.

For Vikings to actually pull this off they probably have to trade #11, #23 and 2025 first rounder. In return, they hopefully get #3 overall this year and NE's
Mar 15, 2024 19:29:01 GMT -6
glenwo2: Saying that Darnold will have a big smile when he's throwing all the INT's is quite the Take, Reignman. Mar 16, 2024 20:17:05 GMT -6
Nemesis: Good grief....first I hear....and then I hear...I think I better go back to being gone. *woot* ??? Mar 22, 2024 15:24:17 GMT -6
Norseman: You were gone? Mar 22, 2024 22:30:40 GMT -6
Nemesis: I'm a long gone daddy www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtpe6_2nCts Mar 23, 2024 9:39:00 GMT -6
glenwo2: Norseman is Nemesis' Daddy! You heard it here first, folks. Mar 25, 2024 12:26:17 GMT -6
glenwo2: I'm kidding of course, Nemesis. :) Mar 25, 2024 12:27:05 GMT -6
Norseman: How do you know that it isn't true? Mar 25, 2024 14:28:23 GMT -6
glenwo2: Because Nemesis is the Mod and I'm just a punk rookie acting like a goofball. Mar 25, 2024 16:57:35 GMT -6
Nemesis: Plus glenwo2 is probably my dad, he just likes messing with me from the beyond. Mar 26, 2024 17:13:40 GMT -6
Reignman: Oh great, Nemesis believes in ghosts now too? Did ghost dad remember his name or only the first initial after you recited the alphabet? Apr 1, 2024 22:17:26 GMT -6
Nemesis: We agreed before he died that he would use the name "glenwo" and contact me on the PP shoutbox, but the "2" has me a bit confused. Did I miss his first attempt at contact? Apr 5, 2024 8:22:45 GMT -6
glenwo2: Well glenwo1 was busy that day.... Apr 6, 2024 3:01:11 GMT -6
Nemesis: This is amazing. That's exactly what he told me he would say! :'( Apr 13, 2024 16:48:32 GMT -6
slidell: Sell out and do what it takes to get Daniels.Mccarthy and Maye are Ponders waiting to happen Apr 22, 2024 14:37:23 GMT -6
SiteWolf: What about Daniels separates him that much from Maye? His old team didn't whine when he left ASU, his frame as it is right now will struggle to stay healthy with his playing style...so is he really the better prospect? Apr 24, 2024 13:47:01 GMT -6
Shout as:
Refresh
  • Bold
  • Italic
  • Underline
  • Strikethrough
  • Link
  • Insert Smiley
0/256 Send Cancel
© 2022 Purple Pain Forums

Purple Pain Forums is an independent fan website and not associated with the Minnesota Vikings or the National Football League (NFL). The content posted by individuals on this website reflect their personal opinions and in no way reflect the views of the Minnesota Vikings, NFL, or associated properties. Purple Pain Forums and its affiliates are not responsible for any content posted by our users as it is the property of the poster.