Bye Week Matchup By the Numbers

Oct 23, 2022 7:52:58 GMT -6 6 Replies
In the history of the bye weeks, never has there been a more embarrassing loss than the one the Vikings handed to themselves in 2005. It was a week that sealed the fate of a head coach, cemented Daunte Culpepper and Fred Smoot’s legacy as punchlines, and would change the meaning of the term “love boat” forever. So it is only fitting that in this bye week iteration of comparing statistics, that we look at the Vikings’ greatest opponent: Themselves.

Over the past decade this team has started out fast before. Sometimes with good results like in 2017 where the team started out 4-2 and went on to lose in the NFCCG despite losing its starting QB for the second straight season. Other times things went south quickly after a quick start, like in 2016 when the Vikings started out 5-1, and after suffering an embarrassing loss to the Eagles, went on to suck hard for the rest of the season. One team improved on their early success, the other collapsed, and while the Vikings might hope they are the former, do the numbers actually point to them being closer to the latter?

First up, let’s compare these three teams DVOA rankings as well as their opponents in those first 6 weeks.

I was very surprised at just how good that Vikings’ team was in 2016, particularly their defense. It was elite through the first third of the season and while a lot of that is because of a weak schedule (they played mostly bad offenses), it is still pretty impressive. Their opponents overall were very average on average making the 5-1 start compared to what happened the rest of the season very surprising.

The 2017 team started out with a more difficult schedule and still managed to go 4-2 despite huge season ending injuries to their starting QB and star rookie RB. They did get blown out by second best team they faced during that period after a strong first game against the best, but they only faced one truly bad team in that stretch and still managed to go 4-2 and play better than all but seven other teams through six games.

The 2022 iteration of a Vikings team off to a hot start is by far the worst of the three despite having the easiest schedule. They have faced one defense that has been above average or better and only one team overall that would be considered above average according to DVOA. There is some good news here though. First, this team is not like the 2016 team that collapsed after 5-0 start and began to play terrible for the final eleven weeks of the season after teams either figured out the simple offense the Vikings were running for Bradford, injuries caught up with the team or both. It is playing poorly to start the season and still winning, and even if the teams they are beating suck, they are still NFL teams. They have the opportunity to start playing better and have a lot of room to grow, which would give them a shot to beat good teams. Second, the final eleven weeks are looking to be almost as easy as the first six. The Vikings play some good teams that I expect them to lose too based on how they have played the only good team they have faced, but most of the teams they play are bad. Looking at that 2016 schedule after the Viking went 5-1 that was not the case:

There were some bad teams left on that 2016 schedule, but most were at least average and the Vikings lost to every one of those above average teams, along with the Lions who had the Vikings number that year. That shouldn’t happen in 2022 where only four teams are average or better and they face the 31st, 30th, 29th, 27th and 25th best teams.

Other numbers to consider are the scoring margin between those three seasons:

2016 (first six games)

7.5 (winning by an average of 11.2 points)

2017 (first six games)

3.2 (winning by an average of 10.75 points)

3.5 (winning by an average of 7.6)

The 2022 Vikings have a higher scoring margin than the 2017 team which is good, a much lower scoring margin than 2016 team, which might also be good since that team collapsed.

There are other factors to a team collapsing or building on early season success of course. The Vikings have a brand new head coach and are running new systems on both offense and defense and while they could start to play better in those systems, like the Vikings and their brand new QB started to do in 2017, they could collapse once another team shows the league how to defend what they are doing like happened with the brand new QB in 2016. With all three of these years the Vikings were adapting to changes on the fly and while one of those teams went in a very positive direction, the other completely collapsed once there was enough film on what they were doing. Injuries also play a factor and did more so in 2016 than a relatively healthy 2017 (after they lost their starting QB and RB that is). This 2022 team has been incredibly healthy, more healthy than either the 2016 or 2017 Vikings’ teams.

Looking at the numbers this Vikings team is not really like either 2016 or 2017 and is arguably much worse than both of them. They are winning, but they are doing it while not playing well against bad teams while the 2016 and 2017 teams won playing really well against better competition. That didn’t work out for the 2016 hot start Vikings’, but it certainly worked out better than expected for the 2017 team. Lets hope the Vikings improve on things over this bye week, stay off the lake and come out read hot against an improving Cardinals team.

Bye Week Matchup By the Numbers

Shoutbox

Purple Pain: Pick 6 Playoffs Edition for Championship Weekend: purplepainforums.com/thread/7572/pick-playoffs-edition-championship-weekend Jan 25, 2024 11:02:04 GMT -6
Purple Pain: Pick 6 Playoffs Edition for the Super Bowl is up: purplepainforums.com/thread/7585/pick-playoffs-edition-super-lviii Jan 31, 2024 11:33:55 GMT -6
salamander: Not feeling good unless we can find a QB. Haven't had a great one in a looooooong time. Feb 22, 2024 13:43:06 GMT -6
Reignman: March 11th, 2024 will live in history as Kirk Cousins Independence Day *cheerleader* Mar 11, 2024 16:34:20 GMT -6
salbrecht: Why can Pittsburg sign Russel Wilson fo 1.2 million and we get Sam Darnold for 10 million?? Mar 13, 2024 18:31:25 GMT -6
Reignman: when you put it like that, it's a real head scratcher, but this franchise is all about their precious culture, so I imagine they passed on a guy like Russ over something silly like that ... Darnold will have a big smile when he's throwing all the INT's Mar 14, 2024 17:44:47 GMT -6
shandman: If I am NE, I seriously consider getting Justin Fields and roll with Fields/Brisset this year.

For Vikings to actually pull this off they probably have to trade #11, #23 and 2025 first rounder. In return, they hopefully get #3 overall this year and NE's
Mar 15, 2024 19:29:01 GMT -6
glenwo2: Saying that Darnold will have a big smile when he's throwing all the INT's is quite the Take, Reignman. Mar 16, 2024 20:17:05 GMT -6
Nemesis: Good grief....first I hear....and then I hear...I think I better go back to being gone. *woot* ??? Mar 22, 2024 15:24:17 GMT -6
Norseman: You were gone? Mar 22, 2024 22:30:40 GMT -6
Nemesis: I'm a long gone daddy www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtpe6_2nCts Mar 23, 2024 9:39:00 GMT -6
glenwo2: Norseman is Nemesis' Daddy! You heard it here first, folks. Mar 25, 2024 12:26:17 GMT -6
glenwo2: I'm kidding of course, Nemesis. :) Mar 25, 2024 12:27:05 GMT -6
Norseman: How do you know that it isn't true? Mar 25, 2024 14:28:23 GMT -6
glenwo2: Because Nemesis is the Mod and I'm just a punk rookie acting like a goofball. Mar 25, 2024 16:57:35 GMT -6
Nemesis: Plus glenwo2 is probably my dad, he just likes messing with me from the beyond. Mar 26, 2024 17:13:40 GMT -6
Reignman: Oh great, Nemesis believes in ghosts now too? Did ghost dad remember his name or only the first initial after you recited the alphabet? Apr 1, 2024 22:17:26 GMT -6
Nemesis: We agreed before he died that he would use the name "glenwo" and contact me on the PP shoutbox, but the "2" has me a bit confused. Did I miss his first attempt at contact? Apr 5, 2024 8:22:45 GMT -6
glenwo2: Well glenwo1 was busy that day.... Apr 6, 2024 3:01:11 GMT -6
Nemesis: This is amazing. That's exactly what he told me he would say! :'( Apr 13, 2024 16:48:32 GMT -6
Shout as:
Refresh
  • Bold
  • Italic
  • Underline
  • Strikethrough
  • Link
  • Insert Smiley
0/256 Send Cancel
© 2022 Purple Pain Forums

Purple Pain Forums is an independent fan website and not associated with the Minnesota Vikings or the National Football League (NFL). The content posted by individuals on this website reflect their personal opinions and in no way reflect the views of the Minnesota Vikings, NFL, or associated properties. Purple Pain Forums and its affiliates are not responsible for any content posted by our users as it is the property of the poster.