1961 Draft: Vikings vs. Patriots

Sept 24, 2022 18:05:51 GMT -6 3 Replies
Nearly every player that entered professional football from 1960-66 had a decision to make. NFL? Or AFL? Each league had a draft during those years. Most players were selected by both leagues. There was a competition for the players and it turned into a bidding war between the leagues. It was a bidding war that was a big reason, if not the main reason, for the merger agreement in June of 1966. The older league won most of the bidding battles over draft picks but the newer league won enough to get better. It was a tough, draining seven years for both leagues. The merger agreement was a welcome event for pretty much everybody but Al Davis. He wanted the war to continue. So much so, that he continued a personal war with pretty much everyone for the rest of his life. This isn’t about Davis. This is about the 1961 draft of the Minnesota Vikings and it’s remarkable similarity to the 1961 draft of the Boston Patriots. 

The Minnesota Vikings were the older league’s newest team in 1961. Being a new team wasn’t much of a hindrance in any bidding battles over draft picks with the various AFL teams. Everything was new in the AFL. Simply being in the NFL gave the Vikings an edge over any AFL team. About a year ago, I was curious as to which AFL teams the Vikings competed with to sign their top draft picks during those war years. Of course, I started with the 1961 draft and I was immediately surprised by what I found. 

Minnesota Vikings 1961 Draft

1. Tommy Mason, RB, Tulane
2. Rip Hawkins, LB, North Carolina
3. Fran Tarkenton, QB, Georgia

Boston Patriots 1961 Draft

1. Tommy Mason, RB, Tulane
2. Rip Hawkins, LB, North Carolina
3. Dan LaRose, T, Missouri
4. Mike Zeno, G, Virginia Tech
5. Fran Tarkenton, QB, Georgia

I was stunned that I’d never heard about the similarities between the 1961 drafts of the Vikings and the Patriots. Tommy Mason, Rip Hawkins, and Fran Tarkenton were the gems of the Vikings’ first draft. What are the chances that all three are also the gems of another team’s draft? There are just too many variables for this to be a coincidence. My immediate thought was that the lazy Patriots had copied the drafting of my beloved Vikings. Unfortunately, that wasn’t the case. The first six rounds of the 1961 AFL Draft were held November 21-22, 1960. The 1961 NFL Draft was held December 27-28, 1960. If there was any draft copying being done it was the Vikings doing the copying. 

The NFL draft will always be a crapshoot. It was even more so in the 1960s. Scouting and player evaluation wasn’t as thorough or as sophisticated. The drafts were held towards the end of the regular season. There wasn’t time for thorough or sophisticated scouting even if the teams had the means and desire to do so. As a result of the competition for players, there were also some strange tactics taken by both leagues during the seven-year bidding war. The strangest was probably the practice of “babysitting.” Both leagues called it babysitting but it was often more like kidnapping. Teams would “hide” players from the other league as they tried to hammer out the details of a contract. If the league’s were willing to go to those extremes to sign players, it wouldn’t be a surprise if the NFL assigned their newest team to go after the top draft picks of one of the AFL’s teams. I’m not sure the purpose of such a strategy. Maybe the NFL didn’t think that the Patriots had much of a chance to sign Mason, Hawkins, and Tarkenton and wanted to give the expansion team a boost. Who knows? I just know that the similarities between the 1961 drafts of the Vikings and Patriots feel more intentional than coincidental.

I always got the feeling that the NFL wanted to win every signing battle. The AFL just wanted to win enough of them. That sort of balance tends to happen when a new league is trying to gain footing with an older, very established league. 

With the similarities between the 1961 drafts of the Vikings and Patriots, I was curious if there were similarities in the drafts of other teams. I found these.

Dallas Cowboys 1961 Draft

1. Bob Lilly, DT, TCU
2. E.J. Holub, C/LB, Texas Tech

Dallas Texans 1961 Draft

1. E.J. Holub, C/LB, Texas Tech
2. Bob Lilly, DT, TCU

and 

1961 San Francisco 49ers Draft

1. Jimmy Johnson, CB, UCLA
1. Billy Kilmer, QB, UCLA

1961 San Diego Chargers 

4. Jimmy Johnson, CB, UCLA
5. Billy Kilmer, QB, UCLA

Unlike the drafts of the Vikings and Patriots, both of these examples seem to be geographical/regionally inspired.

Perhaps this little draft curiosity between the Vikings and Patriots is something that intrigues only me. I was certainly amazed when I discovered it. All that really matters is that the Vikings signed the first three draft picks in the team’s history. It’s simply a footnote that it was the Patriots that they beat to sign each one. Tommy Mason, Rip Hawkins, and Fran Tarkenton were franchise fixtures for the Vikings’ first several years. 

1961 Draft: Vikings vs. Patriots

Shoutbox

salamander: Not feeling good unless we can find a QB. Haven't had a great one in a looooooong time. Feb 22, 2024 13:43:06 GMT -6
Reignman: March 11th, 2024 will live in history as Kirk Cousins Independence Day *cheerleader* Mar 11, 2024 16:34:20 GMT -6
salbrecht: Why can Pittsburg sign Russel Wilson fo 1.2 million and we get Sam Darnold for 10 million?? Mar 13, 2024 18:31:25 GMT -6
Reignman: when you put it like that, it's a real head scratcher, but this franchise is all about their precious culture, so I imagine they passed on a guy like Russ over something silly like that ... Darnold will have a big smile when he's throwing all the INT's Mar 14, 2024 17:44:47 GMT -6
shandman: If I am NE, I seriously consider getting Justin Fields and roll with Fields/Brisset this year.

For Vikings to actually pull this off they probably have to trade #11, #23 and 2025 first rounder. In return, they hopefully get #3 overall this year and NE's
Mar 15, 2024 19:29:01 GMT -6
glenwo2: Saying that Darnold will have a big smile when he's throwing all the INT's is quite the Take, Reignman. Mar 16, 2024 20:17:05 GMT -6
Nemesis: Good grief....first I hear....and then I hear...I think I better go back to being gone. *woot* ??? Mar 22, 2024 15:24:17 GMT -6
Norseman: You were gone? Mar 22, 2024 22:30:40 GMT -6
Nemesis: I'm a long gone daddy www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtpe6_2nCts Mar 23, 2024 9:39:00 GMT -6
glenwo2: Norseman is Nemesis' Daddy! You heard it here first, folks. Mar 25, 2024 12:26:17 GMT -6
glenwo2: I'm kidding of course, Nemesis. :) Mar 25, 2024 12:27:05 GMT -6
Norseman: How do you know that it isn't true? Mar 25, 2024 14:28:23 GMT -6
glenwo2: Because Nemesis is the Mod and I'm just a punk rookie acting like a goofball. Mar 25, 2024 16:57:35 GMT -6
Nemesis: Plus glenwo2 is probably my dad, he just likes messing with me from the beyond. Mar 26, 2024 17:13:40 GMT -6
Reignman: Oh great, Nemesis believes in ghosts now too? Did ghost dad remember his name or only the first initial after you recited the alphabet? Apr 1, 2024 22:17:26 GMT -6
Nemesis: We agreed before he died that he would use the name "glenwo" and contact me on the PP shoutbox, but the "2" has me a bit confused. Did I miss his first attempt at contact? Apr 5, 2024 8:22:45 GMT -6
glenwo2: Well glenwo1 was busy that day.... Apr 6, 2024 3:01:11 GMT -6
Nemesis: This is amazing. That's exactly what he told me he would say! :'( Apr 13, 2024 16:48:32 GMT -6
slidell: Sell out and do what it takes to get Daniels.Mccarthy and Maye are Ponders waiting to happen Apr 22, 2024 14:37:23 GMT -6
SiteWolf: What about Daniels separates him that much from Maye? His old team didn't whine when he left ASU, his frame as it is right now will struggle to stay healthy with his playing style...so is he really the better prospect? Apr 24, 2024 13:47:01 GMT -6
Shout as:
Refresh
  • Bold
  • Italic
  • Underline
  • Strikethrough
  • Link
  • Insert Smiley
0/256 Send Cancel
© 2022 Purple Pain Forums

Purple Pain Forums is an independent fan website and not associated with the Minnesota Vikings or the National Football League (NFL). The content posted by individuals on this website reflect their personal opinions and in no way reflect the views of the Minnesota Vikings, NFL, or associated properties. Purple Pain Forums and its affiliates are not responsible for any content posted by our users as it is the property of the poster.