Vikings at Eagles Depth Chart Preview 2022

Sept 17, 2022 22:55:43 GMT -6 5 Replies
After the first game of the new regime was a roaring success, the Vikings have a MNF battle with the Eagles. With the NFC looking weaker than usual, this matchup could have implications come playoff time. Could the Vikings get off to a 2-0 start with wins against two 2021 playoff teams?

Line: Eagles -2.5

SuperSim Calculated Line: Eagles -1.5

Injury Report

Eagles
none

Vikings
CB Booth Jr. - Out

*My Thoughts*

I'm very high on the Eagles this year, and you can see that by the amount of green on their depth chart. One issue is that while the roster doesn't have any glaring issues, they also lack stars / players with game-breaking talent. Thankfully for them they landed AJ Brown, a top 10 receiver who when healthy is a beast and worth more than just the single 1st round pick they flipped for him. Now Hurts has a solid set of weapons to throw to, including the lightweight Devonta Smith, underrated Dallas Goedert, and the occasional deep threat Quez Watkins. Add in Hurts' ability to break off runs (scoring a whopping 10 TDs last year), it just adds another weapon and should make them a very competent redzone team. The running game is fine, as Sanders has never quite lived up to his billing but he is very efficient with the touches he gets. Gainwell is competent in the passing game but underwhelming between the tackles, while the 5' 6" Boston Scott is curiously used as their goal line back (7 TDs last year).

The ceiling on this offense will rely on Hurts' ability to develop as a passer and become more than just a first-read QB. He will be helped by an offensive line which is ranked by some sites as the best in the NFL. Jordan Mailata, a former 7th rounder born in Australia, has been a relevation that was much needed after Jason Peters moving on and 1st rounder Andre Dillard busting. His play at LT has allowed Lane Johnson to stay at RT - he seems poised to go down as one of the best RTs of this era of football. LG Dickerson is a sophomore 2nd rounder whose main concern was injuries, but so far has been a successful starter, though he's been questionable as a pass blocker. Kelce is still balling out despite turning 35 soon, and is a monster as a run blocker. Seumalo is the weakest link, but he was on pace to have a career year in 2021 before an injury ended his season. Most teams would love to have a guy like him as the 'worst'.

Defensively, the Eagles should be better than they were last week, as the Lions posted 35 points, 181 rushing yards, and only allowed one sack. They also lost DE Derek Barnett (who was slated to be more of a rotational guy than a starter), and now their pass rush looks to be vulnerable. Graham and Sweat make a nice duo but they could use more firepower. On the bench they only have unproven talent, but that is not the case at DT. Cox may be past his prime and doesn't defend against the run as well as he used to, but he is still a credible pass rusher. Javon Hargrave, meanwhile, has also become a much better pass rusher than run stuffer since coming over from Pittsburgh. That leaves 1st rounder Jordan Davis, a freakish athlete with insane upside, but as of now there is no tape of him being a consistent pressure creator. For now, he'll just stuff the run effectively.

Philly's linebackers have been questionable for a few years, but they've tried to address it recently. TJ Edwards is a UDFA holdover who total 130 combined tackles last year, earning PFF's praises. Meanwhile they've added Kyzir White, a solid 3-4 ILB from the Chargers, and Haason Reddick, a 10+ sack LB the past two seasons despite not being a 3-4 OLB. Reddick had zero pressures vs the Lions, but I assume he is part of the plan to generate a pass rush. They also spent a 3rd rounder on Nakobe Dean, a player that many draftniks had a 1st round grade on - he may factor into their plans soon.

The Eagles' CB room looks good on paper - Darius Slay and James Bradberry have both been #1 CBs in their prime, but as they've aged, they've been a bit up and down. Avonte Maddox is an underrated slot CB who is one of the better ones out there. At safety, the Eagles opted to axe Anthony Harris and are giving former Viking Marcus Epps a full-time role. They then traded for CJ Gardner-Johnson, a hybrid SS/slot CB. PFF hasn't loved him, but he's a splashy playmaker who will have some lapses in coverage.

Prediction: Eagles 28, Vikings 23

Despite their thrashing of the Packers, I think the Vikings will run into some problems against this Philly defense on the road. Meanwhile, I have concerns with our run defense trying to handle the multi-layered Philly run game lead by a beastly O-line.

That's all I've got, any thoughts?

Other Vikings at Eagles content this week

Purple Path Forward - Pluck the Eagles

Week 2 - Vikings at Eagles Matchup by the Numbers

Vikings at Eagles Depth Chart Preview 2022

Shoutbox

salamander: Not feeling good unless we can find a QB. Haven't had a great one in a looooooong time. Feb 22, 2024 13:43:06 GMT -6
Reignman: March 11th, 2024 will live in history as Kirk Cousins Independence Day *cheerleader* Mar 11, 2024 16:34:20 GMT -6
salbrecht: Why can Pittsburg sign Russel Wilson fo 1.2 million and we get Sam Darnold for 10 million?? Mar 13, 2024 18:31:25 GMT -6
Reignman: when you put it like that, it's a real head scratcher, but this franchise is all about their precious culture, so I imagine they passed on a guy like Russ over something silly like that ... Darnold will have a big smile when he's throwing all the INT's Mar 14, 2024 17:44:47 GMT -6
shandman: If I am NE, I seriously consider getting Justin Fields and roll with Fields/Brisset this year.

For Vikings to actually pull this off they probably have to trade #11, #23 and 2025 first rounder. In return, they hopefully get #3 overall this year and NE's
Mar 15, 2024 19:29:01 GMT -6
glenwo2: Saying that Darnold will have a big smile when he's throwing all the INT's is quite the Take, Reignman. Mar 16, 2024 20:17:05 GMT -6
Nemesis: Good grief....first I hear....and then I hear...I think I better go back to being gone. *woot* ??? Mar 22, 2024 15:24:17 GMT -6
Norseman: You were gone? Mar 22, 2024 22:30:40 GMT -6
Nemesis: I'm a long gone daddy www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtpe6_2nCts Mar 23, 2024 9:39:00 GMT -6
glenwo2: Norseman is Nemesis' Daddy! You heard it here first, folks. Mar 25, 2024 12:26:17 GMT -6
glenwo2: I'm kidding of course, Nemesis. :) Mar 25, 2024 12:27:05 GMT -6
Norseman: How do you know that it isn't true? Mar 25, 2024 14:28:23 GMT -6
glenwo2: Because Nemesis is the Mod and I'm just a punk rookie acting like a goofball. Mar 25, 2024 16:57:35 GMT -6
Nemesis: Plus glenwo2 is probably my dad, he just likes messing with me from the beyond. Mar 26, 2024 17:13:40 GMT -6
Reignman: Oh great, Nemesis believes in ghosts now too? Did ghost dad remember his name or only the first initial after you recited the alphabet? Apr 1, 2024 22:17:26 GMT -6
Nemesis: We agreed before he died that he would use the name "glenwo" and contact me on the PP shoutbox, but the "2" has me a bit confused. Did I miss his first attempt at contact? Apr 5, 2024 8:22:45 GMT -6
glenwo2: Well glenwo1 was busy that day.... Apr 6, 2024 3:01:11 GMT -6
Nemesis: This is amazing. That's exactly what he told me he would say! :'( Apr 13, 2024 16:48:32 GMT -6
slidell: Sell out and do what it takes to get Daniels.Mccarthy and Maye are Ponders waiting to happen Apr 22, 2024 14:37:23 GMT -6
SiteWolf: What about Daniels separates him that much from Maye? His old team didn't whine when he left ASU, his frame as it is right now will struggle to stay healthy with his playing style...so is he really the better prospect? Apr 24, 2024 13:47:01 GMT -6
Shout as:
Refresh
  • Bold
  • Italic
  • Underline
  • Strikethrough
  • Link
  • Insert Smiley
0/256 Send Cancel
© 2022 Purple Pain Forums

Purple Pain Forums is an independent fan website and not associated with the Minnesota Vikings or the National Football League (NFL). The content posted by individuals on this website reflect their personal opinions and in no way reflect the views of the Minnesota Vikings, NFL, or associated properties. Purple Pain Forums and its affiliates are not responsible for any content posted by our users as it is the property of the poster.