Where’s My Thorp?

Sept 10, 2022 18:09:14 GMT -6 3 Replies
I just noticed that this tale of a certain missing trophy was discussed on the message board about a year ago. I guess this is a re-visit.

The NFL had a championship trophy before the Lombardi Trophy. That’s really no surprise as there were 46 league champions before the AFL and NFL got together. Actually, there were two trophies. From 1920-33, there was no championship game. The NFL champion was the team with the best regular season record. The champion wasn’t officially crowned until a vote by the league owners. That was mostly a formality. Controversy clouded a couple of the champions. That often happens when it comes to votes and sports. The NFL champion during this early era of the league was “sometimes” awarded the Brunswick-Blake Collender Cup. That’s a whole other story. This story is about the league’s next trophy. In 1934, the NFL had the brilliant idea of playing a championship game. They needed a trophy for the winner of the new “big” game. That trophy was the Ed Thorp Memorial Trophy. Like hockey’s Stanley Cup, it was a traveling trophy. Each league champion kept the trophy for a year. Great. At least it would’ve been great if the Green Bay Packers weren’t involved. The entitled team from Wisconsin won the Thorp more than any other team. They won it in 1936, 1938, 1944, 1961, 1962, 1965, 1966, and 1967. That’s too damn many times. It was so many times that the Packers would come to assume rights to the Thorp that they simply didn’t and don’t have.

The trouble with the Thorp started in the 1960s. The Lombardi Packers should be to blame. Instead, history would put the blame on the Minnesota Vikings. The Ed Thorp Memorial Trophy disappeared about the time of the full merger of the NFL and AFL in 1970. With that merger there was no longer a need for the Thorp. The Vikings were the last NFL champion before the full merger so they were the last team to hold the Thorp. Since the trophy had disappeared, the Vikings must have lost it. That was the story and it held. Despite an incredible lack of evidence, the story held for so long that it became fact. The Vikings lost the Thorp and as a result they were cursed. This Thorp curse is the reason for Super Bowl losses, big game frustrations, close calls, missed field goals, and an empty trophy case. The curse of the Ed Thorp Memorial Trophy. 

In 2019, Minneapolis Star-Tribune’s Mark Craig wrote about the Ed Thorp Trophy in advance of the 50th Anniversary celebration of the Vikings’ 1969 NFL Championship. He asked a few of the members of that team about the trophy. Here are some of the responses. 

“Ed who?” - Gary Larsen

”I ain’t never seen it.” - Lonnie Warwick

”I don’t even know what you’re referring to.” - Bud Grant

There’s a simple reason for those responses. The Vikings didn’t know anything about the trophy because they’d never seen it. 

In 2018, the Packers discovered that the team had the trophy all along. Not only did they have it in some forgotten closet or box, they had it in three pieces. Packers historian Cliff Christl wrote about how wonderful it was to have the trophy again. The Thorp had been put back together and is sitting in the team’s museum. Christl is out of his mind if he thinks the Packers should keep the trophy. This was meant to be a traveling trophy but it didn’t do much traveling in the 1960s. Their five titles that decade granted the Packers five years with the Thorp. It didn’t grant them an eternity with it. Actually, it wasn’t in Green Bay for the entirety of the 1960s. There’s evidence that the Chicago Bears received the trophy from the Packers in 1963 and that the Cleveland Browns received the trophy from the Bears in 1964. The Packers got it back in 1965. After winning again in 1966 and again in 1967, it seems that the Packers decided amongst themselves that the Ed Thorp Memorial Trophy had a permanent home. If they thought it was so great that they ignored their obligation to pass it to the next league champion, why did they treat the trophy so horribly? It’s that entitlement thing. The Colts never saw the Thorp in 1968. The Vikings never saw it in 1969. It was lost in Green Bay. Literally.

Christl claims that Green Bay is and should be the Thorp’s home because the Packers won it eight times. That’s ridiculous. The Vikings won it but never possessed it. The Vikings were the last team to win it and should have it for that reason alone. The trophy was meant to go to the next NFL champion and there wouldn’t be a next one. It’s annoying that the Packers believe that they are entitled to the Thorp because they won it eight times. It’s even more annoying that they believe that they are entitled to it after treating it with such disrespect for nearly 50 years. That’s reason enough to not have the trophy now. 

In all honesty, I believe that the Ed Thorp Memorial Trophy should be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. On its way to Canton, it should spend a year at the Minnesota Vikings Museum in Eagan. One of the many places it shouldn’t be is in Green Bay.

Where’s My Thorp?

Shoutbox

salamander: Not feeling good unless we can find a QB. Haven't had a great one in a looooooong time. Feb 22, 2024 13:43:06 GMT -6
Reignman: March 11th, 2024 will live in history as Kirk Cousins Independence Day *cheerleader* Mar 11, 2024 16:34:20 GMT -6
salbrecht: Why can Pittsburg sign Russel Wilson fo 1.2 million and we get Sam Darnold for 10 million?? Mar 13, 2024 18:31:25 GMT -6
Reignman: when you put it like that, it's a real head scratcher, but this franchise is all about their precious culture, so I imagine they passed on a guy like Russ over something silly like that ... Darnold will have a big smile when he's throwing all the INT's Mar 14, 2024 17:44:47 GMT -6
shandman: If I am NE, I seriously consider getting Justin Fields and roll with Fields/Brisset this year.

For Vikings to actually pull this off they probably have to trade #11, #23 and 2025 first rounder. In return, they hopefully get #3 overall this year and NE's
Mar 15, 2024 19:29:01 GMT -6
glenwo2: Saying that Darnold will have a big smile when he's throwing all the INT's is quite the Take, Reignman. Mar 16, 2024 20:17:05 GMT -6
Nemesis: Good grief....first I hear....and then I hear...I think I better go back to being gone. *woot* ??? Mar 22, 2024 15:24:17 GMT -6
Norseman: You were gone? Mar 22, 2024 22:30:40 GMT -6
Nemesis: I'm a long gone daddy www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtpe6_2nCts Mar 23, 2024 9:39:00 GMT -6
glenwo2: Norseman is Nemesis' Daddy! You heard it here first, folks. Mar 25, 2024 12:26:17 GMT -6
glenwo2: I'm kidding of course, Nemesis. :) Mar 25, 2024 12:27:05 GMT -6
Norseman: How do you know that it isn't true? Mar 25, 2024 14:28:23 GMT -6
glenwo2: Because Nemesis is the Mod and I'm just a punk rookie acting like a goofball. Mar 25, 2024 16:57:35 GMT -6
Nemesis: Plus glenwo2 is probably my dad, he just likes messing with me from the beyond. Mar 26, 2024 17:13:40 GMT -6
Reignman: Oh great, Nemesis believes in ghosts now too? Did ghost dad remember his name or only the first initial after you recited the alphabet? Apr 1, 2024 22:17:26 GMT -6
Nemesis: We agreed before he died that he would use the name "glenwo" and contact me on the PP shoutbox, but the "2" has me a bit confused. Did I miss his first attempt at contact? Apr 5, 2024 8:22:45 GMT -6
glenwo2: Well glenwo1 was busy that day.... Apr 6, 2024 3:01:11 GMT -6
Nemesis: This is amazing. That's exactly what he told me he would say! :'( Apr 13, 2024 16:48:32 GMT -6
slidell: Sell out and do what it takes to get Daniels.Mccarthy and Maye are Ponders waiting to happen Apr 22, 2024 14:37:23 GMT -6
SiteWolf: What about Daniels separates him that much from Maye? His old team didn't whine when he left ASU, his frame as it is right now will struggle to stay healthy with his playing style...so is he really the better prospect? Apr 24, 2024 13:47:01 GMT -6
Shout as:
Refresh
  • Bold
  • Italic
  • Underline
  • Strikethrough
  • Link
  • Insert Smiley
0/256 Send Cancel
© 2022 Purple Pain Forums

Purple Pain Forums is an independent fan website and not associated with the Minnesota Vikings or the National Football League (NFL). The content posted by individuals on this website reflect their personal opinions and in no way reflect the views of the Minnesota Vikings, NFL, or associated properties. Purple Pain Forums and its affiliates are not responsible for any content posted by our users as it is the property of the poster.