[OC] 2021 Game-By-Game Replay - Game 12 at Det - Quick Look

Aug 10, 2022 7:50:07 GMT -6 6 Replies
I have incomplete data for this game but I’m posting what I can based on highlights, box scores and play by play. I’m not going to do a full review based on highlights, because that leaves out most of what I look for like, where are guys on key plays? Were there mistakes on boring plays that didn’t make the highlight reel? Near misses? What was the actual game flow like?

That said, here are my highlight level takes on the Lions game:

Injuries played a factor, did not play in this game:
- Dalvin Cook
- Christian Darrisaw
- Eric Kendricks
- Anthony Barr
- Patrick Peterson
- Adam Thielen (after his 6 snaps)
- Everson Griffen
Plus longer term misses in Hunter and Irv Smith that are largely baked in to expectations.

The offense was basically reduced to Cousins + ONiell + Jefferson and they still handed the defense a lead with under 2 minutes left. The top 3 players in terms of snap count of the defensive line were DJ Wonnum, Sheldon Richardson and Kenny Willekes – not what I’d call a the A-Team.

Key Play
The Vikings had the Lions in 3rd and 10 on the final drive.  Detroit had no time outs and needed a touchdown.  This was an underneath completion to Godwin Igwebuike:

I picked this as key for a few reasons:
- Personnel changes are necessary. That's Mackenzie Alexander flailing at the tackle. Alexander was not involved in the stop, he ran backwards up field away from the runner and did nothing. The Vikings might as well have been playing this play with 10 men.

- It highlights everything wrong with the urgency of the Vikings pass defense.  The Vikings made nothing difficult for Goff on this drive.  Everything was an easy pitch and catch.  This is Zimmer's system failing in real time.  I get the point of the system "Keep everything in front of you and wait for 1 mistake to kill a drive", if the offense has to make long drives, that one fatal mistake becomes likely.  However it all falls apart when keeping everything in front of you means "giving the other team everything they want.  

I picked this play because it's a 3rd down, not the final play of the game.  However the final play of the game has all the same problems as this play with the Vikings just giving the Lions as much space as they want.  Dantzler get's burned for playing off too much, but he is literally the defender closest to his man at the snap.  Every other Vikings player is also a spectator even further off the line.  Neither safety made it as far forward as being even on depth with any of the four receivers on the play.  I maintain this is the scheme failing, not Dantzler the individual.  

Passing Offense:
The Lions were aggressively pressing all the short stuff, but had no answer for Jefferson deep.

In a case of extreme karma, Adam Thielen played 6 snaps before he was injured. The injury happened on a pass behind the line of scrimmage, an route that does not play to Thielen’s strengths that the Vikings have run repeatedly with very little success. After 13 weeks, they didn’t learn their lesion and got one of their best players injured pounding their metaphorical head against a wall.

Tyler Conklin can’t create separation. The Jets significantly overpaid to get him. He’s a fine player as a dependable blocking TE, but he is in no way a playmaker.

Oli Udoh was playing left tackle, he gave up a sack fumble. The sack was at least a 50/50 coverage sack but still, this won’t help Udoh’s reputation.
Incomplete Game Rating of +1

Rushing Offense
This must have been extremely inconsistent. The highlights showed Mattison with several solid runs of 8-12 yards plus is touchdown. However 22 carries for 90 yards is not a good day. This would align with the season arc of way more inconsistent play from the running game than I would have expected – based on both reputation and recollection.
Incomplete Game Rating of -1

Passing Defense
I’ll give credit to Goff first: this was a good game for him. He had several throws that made me think “Wow! That’s a big boy throw right there!”. If the Lions get this version of Goff every game, they could probably have a winning season.

There was Xavier Woods’ #23 popping up in lot of highlights and not in a good way.

Breeland was bad – I’ve defended him some, but not this game.

Dantzler was good.

The Vikings played incredible soft on the last drive. When everybody is doing the same thing, I put it on coaching, not player mistakes.

The Defensive line was not up to the task of creating pressure, 2 of the team’s 3 sacks came from Blake Lynch at LB.
Incomplete Game Rating of -2

Run Defense
Held their own, this group seemed to contribute. Not much to add without more game flow context.
Incomplete Game Rating of +1

Special teams
Did their jobs well enough to win.  The return game gifted the offense a short field at a critical moment.
Incomplete Game Rating of +2

Coaching
The Lions were the more aggressive team. The Vikings weren’t able to capitalize on their own strengths. This was a bad game for the coaching staff, but there are a two mitigating factors:
- The Lions made their own brakes with aggressive play.
- There were a lot of injuries.  
It's a minus two because of the late game strategy.  I think the failure of the last drive was more coaching / game planning / situational awareness than failures by individual players.
Incomplete Game Rating of -2

[OC] 2021 Game-By-Game Replay - Game 12 at Det - Quick Look

Shoutbox

salamander: Not feeling good unless we can find a QB. Haven't had a great one in a looooooong time. Feb 22, 2024 13:43:06 GMT -6
Reignman: March 11th, 2024 will live in history as Kirk Cousins Independence Day *cheerleader* Mar 11, 2024 16:34:20 GMT -6
salbrecht: Why can Pittsburg sign Russel Wilson fo 1.2 million and we get Sam Darnold for 10 million?? Mar 13, 2024 18:31:25 GMT -6
Reignman: when you put it like that, it's a real head scratcher, but this franchise is all about their precious culture, so I imagine they passed on a guy like Russ over something silly like that ... Darnold will have a big smile when he's throwing all the INT's Mar 14, 2024 17:44:47 GMT -6
shandman: If I am NE, I seriously consider getting Justin Fields and roll with Fields/Brisset this year.

For Vikings to actually pull this off they probably have to trade #11, #23 and 2025 first rounder. In return, they hopefully get #3 overall this year and NE's
Mar 15, 2024 19:29:01 GMT -6
glenwo2: Saying that Darnold will have a big smile when he's throwing all the INT's is quite the Take, Reignman. Mar 16, 2024 20:17:05 GMT -6
Nemesis: Good grief....first I hear....and then I hear...I think I better go back to being gone. *woot* ??? Mar 22, 2024 15:24:17 GMT -6
Norseman: You were gone? Mar 22, 2024 22:30:40 GMT -6
Nemesis: I'm a long gone daddy www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtpe6_2nCts Mar 23, 2024 9:39:00 GMT -6
glenwo2: Norseman is Nemesis' Daddy! You heard it here first, folks. Mar 25, 2024 12:26:17 GMT -6
glenwo2: I'm kidding of course, Nemesis. :) Mar 25, 2024 12:27:05 GMT -6
Norseman: How do you know that it isn't true? Mar 25, 2024 14:28:23 GMT -6
glenwo2: Because Nemesis is the Mod and I'm just a punk rookie acting like a goofball. Mar 25, 2024 16:57:35 GMT -6
Nemesis: Plus glenwo2 is probably my dad, he just likes messing with me from the beyond. Mar 26, 2024 17:13:40 GMT -6
Reignman: Oh great, Nemesis believes in ghosts now too? Did ghost dad remember his name or only the first initial after you recited the alphabet? Apr 1, 2024 22:17:26 GMT -6
Nemesis: We agreed before he died that he would use the name "glenwo" and contact me on the PP shoutbox, but the "2" has me a bit confused. Did I miss his first attempt at contact? Apr 5, 2024 8:22:45 GMT -6
glenwo2: Well glenwo1 was busy that day.... Apr 6, 2024 3:01:11 GMT -6
Nemesis: This is amazing. That's exactly what he told me he would say! :'( Apr 13, 2024 16:48:32 GMT -6
slidell: Sell out and do what it takes to get Daniels.Mccarthy and Maye are Ponders waiting to happen Apr 22, 2024 14:37:23 GMT -6
SiteWolf: What about Daniels separates him that much from Maye? His old team didn't whine when he left ASU, his frame as it is right now will struggle to stay healthy with his playing style...so is he really the better prospect? Apr 24, 2024 13:47:01 GMT -6
Shout as:
Refresh
  • Bold
  • Italic
  • Underline
  • Strikethrough
  • Link
  • Insert Smiley
0/256 Send Cancel
© 2022 Purple Pain Forums

Purple Pain Forums is an independent fan website and not associated with the Minnesota Vikings or the National Football League (NFL). The content posted by individuals on this website reflect their personal opinions and in no way reflect the views of the Minnesota Vikings, NFL, or associated properties. Purple Pain Forums and its affiliates are not responsible for any content posted by our users as it is the property of the poster.