[OC] 2022 Defensive Alignment Bingo

Aug 3, 2022 19:59:14 GMT -6 12 Replies
This really didn’t start out as a formation bingo. All I really wanted to know was: when the Vikings go to a nickel package, who would be the 1st player on the field? Would it be a 3rd cornerback or a 3rd safety? With the implication being, how much to we have to rely on players with limited track record?

But then, with statements suggesting the Vikings will play 3 safeties at a time, I was trying to sketch out as many possible formations as I could think of just to get a sense of who might play. Here’s a bunch of them:

As I was drawing these out I was trying to keep track of who was playing. Since 3-4 OLB and even front ends could be the same people designated the Daniele Hunter & Za’Darius Smith (+ rotation depth) as Stars, rather than split out DEs

What I thought of each bingo square

Base 3-4: Counting the square icons in the chart, this is the only one with 3 DL. I’m on record as liking Armon Watts, but if the DL depth is Tomlinson 1, Harrison Phillips 2, Watts 3, then Watts doesn’t show up that much. As much as I like Watts, I kind of like this because that means we have 3 guys to play 1-3 spots, so the defense isn’t too reliant on unexpected contributions from Jalen Twyman, James Lynch or Esezi Otomewo.

Nickel: The huge question to me is who is the nickel corner: one Booth Jr / Dantzler or Chandon Sullivan? I get it, nickel is a different skillset, but I don’t really like putting a worse player on the field. So I’ll put Booth Jr in.

Nickel Safety: The whole reason I was thinking about this: who comes on first: a 3rd corner or a 3rd safety. As I was looking for this, I saw this on r/minnesotavikings (it said from Vikings Insider, but I couldn’t find the tweet)

Very interesting, that’s Cine lined up at approximately the RLB spot with Bynum and Smith at Safties, Hunter and Za’Darius are in at DE, #3 Dantzler and Patrick Peterson in the visor and Kendricks wins style hands down with a wide brimmed hat. So Cine on the field suggests this nickle with a Safety might be more common than 3 CBs. This pic also raised another question – the left LB has a rounded number looks like a 3 or 8 – that could be Hicks (#58), Lynch (48) or Asamoah (33); given the skin tone and hair length, this looks like Asamoah on the field with the 1’s.

4-1-6 with a Safety vs. a Corner – I like what amounts to a dime defense with an extra safety way more than 4 corners. That puts all the high upside talent on the field with the vets: Paterson, Dantzler, Booth + Harrision Smith, Bynum, Cine. Why mess that up by taking one of them off for Chandon Sullivan or whoever.

33 – 3 DL, 3 LB, 3 S – I didn’t like this at all until I saw the image with Asamoah on the field. At first this was just a way to put a 3rd LB on the chart, but now that I think about it, that’s 4 guys with a reputation for being able to run and hit: Kendricks, Asamoah, Harrison Smith, Cine. This still isn’t my favorite, but it these guys could cover a lot of space. I just don’t know what offensive formation they would play this against.

3-3-5 with and without a safety playing the 3rd LB spot - I guess these could work in long to go situations, the point would probably be to send a blitzer; however at some point I feel like there’s enough speed to cover the secondary, so why not just go with the 4-1-6 and with a D-line of 4 out of Hunter / Za’Darius / Wonnum / Jones II / Robinson / Twyman (just to get his name in this post) for pressure?

Quarter with 3 Safties – Yeah, this is only probably for 3rd and really long, but that's a situation the Vikings screwed up in 2021.  And I actually like this one quite a bit because of an interesting stat :
Which Vikings DT generated QB pressure on the highest % of their snaps played in 2021? Answer momentarily:
I also like Cine or Bynum on the field much more than a 5th corner.  In this lineup 3 DL would be blocked by 5 O-Line, obviously they can double team Hunter and Za’Daruis, so run out the best inside pressure guy you have for a 1:1 with the worst pass blocking o-lineman on the other team.  At the start of this, which DT was it I was sad about not being on the field that much?  Armon Watts.  And here he is, he can play in this formation:

So there you have it... the Vikings might consider playing with 3 safeties before 3 corners.

[OC] 2022 Defensive Alignment Bingo

Shoutbox

salamander: Not feeling good unless we can find a QB. Haven't had a great one in a looooooong time. Feb 22, 2024 13:43:06 GMT -6
Reignman: March 11th, 2024 will live in history as Kirk Cousins Independence Day *cheerleader* Mar 11, 2024 16:34:20 GMT -6
salbrecht: Why can Pittsburg sign Russel Wilson fo 1.2 million and we get Sam Darnold for 10 million?? Mar 13, 2024 18:31:25 GMT -6
Reignman: when you put it like that, it's a real head scratcher, but this franchise is all about their precious culture, so I imagine they passed on a guy like Russ over something silly like that ... Darnold will have a big smile when he's throwing all the INT's Mar 14, 2024 17:44:47 GMT -6
shandman: If I am NE, I seriously consider getting Justin Fields and roll with Fields/Brisset this year.

For Vikings to actually pull this off they probably have to trade #11, #23 and 2025 first rounder. In return, they hopefully get #3 overall this year and NE's
Mar 15, 2024 19:29:01 GMT -6
glenwo2: Saying that Darnold will have a big smile when he's throwing all the INT's is quite the Take, Reignman. Mar 16, 2024 20:17:05 GMT -6
Nemesis: Good grief....first I hear....and then I hear...I think I better go back to being gone. *woot* ??? Mar 22, 2024 15:24:17 GMT -6
Norseman: You were gone? Mar 22, 2024 22:30:40 GMT -6
Nemesis: I'm a long gone daddy www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtpe6_2nCts Mar 23, 2024 9:39:00 GMT -6
glenwo2: Norseman is Nemesis' Daddy! You heard it here first, folks. Mar 25, 2024 12:26:17 GMT -6
glenwo2: I'm kidding of course, Nemesis. :) Mar 25, 2024 12:27:05 GMT -6
Norseman: How do you know that it isn't true? Mar 25, 2024 14:28:23 GMT -6
glenwo2: Because Nemesis is the Mod and I'm just a punk rookie acting like a goofball. Mar 25, 2024 16:57:35 GMT -6
Nemesis: Plus glenwo2 is probably my dad, he just likes messing with me from the beyond. Mar 26, 2024 17:13:40 GMT -6
Reignman: Oh great, Nemesis believes in ghosts now too? Did ghost dad remember his name or only the first initial after you recited the alphabet? Apr 1, 2024 22:17:26 GMT -6
Nemesis: We agreed before he died that he would use the name "glenwo" and contact me on the PP shoutbox, but the "2" has me a bit confused. Did I miss his first attempt at contact? Apr 5, 2024 8:22:45 GMT -6
glenwo2: Well glenwo1 was busy that day.... Apr 6, 2024 3:01:11 GMT -6
Nemesis: This is amazing. That's exactly what he told me he would say! :'( Apr 13, 2024 16:48:32 GMT -6
slidell: Sell out and do what it takes to get Daniels.Mccarthy and Maye are Ponders waiting to happen Apr 22, 2024 14:37:23 GMT -6
SiteWolf: What about Daniels separates him that much from Maye? His old team didn't whine when he left ASU, his frame as it is right now will struggle to stay healthy with his playing style...so is he really the better prospect? Apr 24, 2024 13:47:01 GMT -6
Shout as:
Refresh
  • Bold
  • Italic
  • Underline
  • Strikethrough
  • Link
  • Insert Smiley
0/256 Send Cancel
© 2022 Purple Pain Forums

Purple Pain Forums is an independent fan website and not associated with the Minnesota Vikings or the National Football League (NFL). The content posted by individuals on this website reflect their personal opinions and in no way reflect the views of the Minnesota Vikings, NFL, or associated properties. Purple Pain Forums and its affiliates are not responsible for any content posted by our users as it is the property of the poster.