[OC] How To Get Better: Filling the Holes

Jan 17, 2022 9:22:35 GMT -6 44 Replies
I am not super invested in either the GM or HC hunt as I do not feel qualified to judge either of those positions and have to just trust ownership to make a good decision.  As much as we fans like to believe we know who would make a good coach or GM, I just don't see how we possibly could know if a retread who failed as HC the first time has finally figured things out, or if an OC who has never been a HC before can transition to coach an entire team and we certainly don't know if a glorified assistant GM is making any good decisions on their current team.

So, instead I thought I would look at how we make the players better, specifically who we need to replace to improve significantly.  Starting positions that are either free agents or that were filled by players who were below average at best.  

Positions of need:
CB
RDE
LB
RG
C
TE2
FS
K
P

Ammo to improve those positions: A 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th (Baltimore's), 3 6ths and a 7th round pick.  -11 Million in cap.

A lot of holes, and very few assets to help fill them, which means the Vikings need to either settle for what they already have, make a trade to gain more assets (cap space and picks), cut some players who are underperforming per their contract, or borrow cap from 2023 and beyond.  

Tradeable Assets:
Danielle Hunter

Trading Hunter gets the Vikings 14 million in cap, and at least a 1st round pick (based on what the lesser Ngakoue got via a trade).  It also creates a new hole at the LDE spot and removes the best player on the defense.  I can see good arguments for this trade, as well as good arguments against it.  If you trade him, you don't have to lock up 28 million per year in an extension in 2023 and can look to improve both DE spots in free agency with lesser DEs who combined can give you what Hunter does.  Or maybe draft a DE who isn't quite as good, but who is significantly cheaper for 4-5 years.  

If you keep him, you have something every team covets: a game changing DE in his prime.  

In order to make this post more interesting and get more assets to work with to improve the team, I am going to say we trade him.

New cap: +3 million

New picks: 2 1sts, 2nd,2 3rds, 5th (Baltimore's), 3 6ths and a 7th round pick.

That is pretty much it for tradeable assets.  I know people want to trade the QB, but I just don't think we could get anything for him with how much he is making.  As for other positions people might want to trade, Cook, Thielen and Smith do not have significant trade value and would not save us significant cap if traded.  You trade those 3 and it saves about 14 million in cap total, creating 3 new holes to fill in the process, and not getting near the return some think we would get. Thielen might get us a 3rd, but I don't know if Cook or Smith have any trade value at all on their current deals.  Not worth trading.

Cuttable Assets:

Michael Pierce

Cutting Pierce saves the Vikings 6.5 million, and unlike some other cut candidates, there is actually someone on the team who could take his spot without creating another hole. Watts and Tomlinson isn't a big step down from Pierce and Tomlinson, and Watts does not have the injury concerns Pierce has.  

New Cap: 9.5 Million

That is pretty much it.  I have already talked about Cook, Smith and Thielen not really saving us a lot if cut and just creating more holes and there really isn't significant cap to be save by cutting anyone else.

Borrow from 2023:

Kirk Cousins

Add 20 million void year to Kirk's current deal, converting salary to signing bonus. The Vikings would still have 80 million in 2023 and at that point cutting Smith, Cook and Thielen would save significant cap.  No brainer, but if void years are upsetting to you for some reason, we could also convert some of O'Neil's and Kendricks' salary to signing bonus and accomplish virtually the same thing that way.

New Cap: 29.5 million

Filling the holes:

At this point the Vikings are looking to improve both DE spots, 2 CBs spots, safety, LBer, RG, Center, TE2, Kicker and Punter.  Lots of holes, but now we have more assets to fill them.  

DE

This position is by far the biggest hole on the team with Hunter leaving via trade and DJ Wonnum being the worst starting pass rushing DE in football in 2021.  The Vikings can't possibly count on two rookies filling both spots on the line, so we need to spend some of our cap on a free agent here.  Looking at available free agents, Emmanual Ogbah is still relatively young and shouldn't break the bank.  3 years, 45 million with most of the cap hit coming in the final two years.  

Available cap: 22 million

The other DE spot I would look to draft DE with the 12th overall pick.  George Karlaftis is a guy who I am penciling in for now, something that could change depending on who the Vikings hire as HC and who rises and falls at the combine.  

CB

I would like the Vikings to bring back Patrick Peterson on a 3 year, 21 million dollar deal.  Like Ogbah's deal, most of the salary will count towards the end of the contract.

Available cap: 18 million

That would leave a CB spot still open, and Coby Bryant would be my pick in the 2nd round.  Good size, and good in run support, I think he would compete to start day 1.

LB

Devin Loyd would be a great pickup with the Vikings' 2nd 1st round pick.  A day one starter who could be what we all hoped Barr would become.

RG

Laken Tomlinson is a name that I have heard thrown around on here and if he can make the transition to RG, could be a good value in free agency.  Assuming he had a similar year next year as he did this year, it would cut the number of pressures on the QB by 20 by replacing Udoh's 48 with his 28 pressures given up.  4 years, 40  million.  

Available cap: 10 million

Center

I would probably just roll out Bradbury again in 2022 and maybe spend one of the 3rds on a guy to compete with him in camp.   

Safety

I am okay with going into camp with Bynum as the presumptive starter.  The Vikings will need to spend at least one pick on depth here, but nothing higher than a 3rd.  

Kicker and Punter

I don't care.  4-6 million on a couple of free agents.

TE2

Conklin is going to get 8 million at least in free agency, and that just isn't worth it to me.  He is okay, and there is a good chance Smith Jr is never as productive as he was this year, but it isn't like he is Darren Waller out there.  I would look to draft a TE2.

The rest of the cap I would spend on depth, or keep for an emergency, but that is pretty much it.  Offensively we are still limited by our QB, but have improved the Oline.  Defensively the Vikings are at least as good as last year from a talent standpoint, with the potential to improve if the rookies really work out.  Not a SB team, but until we solve the QB spot, that is pretty much a given.  

What do you all think?  Anything you would change?  Any holes I didn't mention?  

[OC] How To Get Better: Filling the Holes

Shoutbox

salamander: Not feeling good unless we can find a QB. Haven't had a great one in a looooooong time. Feb 22, 2024 13:43:06 GMT -6
Reignman: March 11th, 2024 will live in history as Kirk Cousins Independence Day *cheerleader* Mar 11, 2024 16:34:20 GMT -6
salbrecht: Why can Pittsburg sign Russel Wilson fo 1.2 million and we get Sam Darnold for 10 million?? Mar 13, 2024 18:31:25 GMT -6
Reignman: when you put it like that, it's a real head scratcher, but this franchise is all about their precious culture, so I imagine they passed on a guy like Russ over something silly like that ... Darnold will have a big smile when he's throwing all the INT's Mar 14, 2024 17:44:47 GMT -6
shandman: If I am NE, I seriously consider getting Justin Fields and roll with Fields/Brisset this year.

For Vikings to actually pull this off they probably have to trade #11, #23 and 2025 first rounder. In return, they hopefully get #3 overall this year and NE's
Mar 15, 2024 19:29:01 GMT -6
glenwo2: Saying that Darnold will have a big smile when he's throwing all the INT's is quite the Take, Reignman. Mar 16, 2024 20:17:05 GMT -6
Nemesis: Good grief....first I hear....and then I hear...I think I better go back to being gone. *woot* ??? Mar 22, 2024 15:24:17 GMT -6
Norseman: You were gone? Mar 22, 2024 22:30:40 GMT -6
Nemesis: I'm a long gone daddy www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtpe6_2nCts Mar 23, 2024 9:39:00 GMT -6
glenwo2: Norseman is Nemesis' Daddy! You heard it here first, folks. Mar 25, 2024 12:26:17 GMT -6
glenwo2: I'm kidding of course, Nemesis. :) Mar 25, 2024 12:27:05 GMT -6
Norseman: How do you know that it isn't true? Mar 25, 2024 14:28:23 GMT -6
glenwo2: Because Nemesis is the Mod and I'm just a punk rookie acting like a goofball. Mar 25, 2024 16:57:35 GMT -6
Nemesis: Plus glenwo2 is probably my dad, he just likes messing with me from the beyond. Mar 26, 2024 17:13:40 GMT -6
Reignman: Oh great, Nemesis believes in ghosts now too? Did ghost dad remember his name or only the first initial after you recited the alphabet? Apr 1, 2024 22:17:26 GMT -6
Nemesis: We agreed before he died that he would use the name "glenwo" and contact me on the PP shoutbox, but the "2" has me a bit confused. Did I miss his first attempt at contact? Apr 5, 2024 8:22:45 GMT -6
glenwo2: Well glenwo1 was busy that day.... Apr 6, 2024 3:01:11 GMT -6
Nemesis: This is amazing. That's exactly what he told me he would say! :'( Apr 13, 2024 16:48:32 GMT -6
slidell: Sell out and do what it takes to get Daniels.Mccarthy and Maye are Ponders waiting to happen Apr 22, 2024 14:37:23 GMT -6
SiteWolf: What about Daniels separates him that much from Maye? His old team didn't whine when he left ASU, his frame as it is right now will struggle to stay healthy with his playing style...so is he really the better prospect? Apr 24, 2024 13:47:01 GMT -6
Shout as:
Refresh
  • Bold
  • Italic
  • Underline
  • Strikethrough
  • Link
  • Insert Smiley
0/256 Send Cancel
© 2022 Purple Pain Forums

Purple Pain Forums is an independent fan website and not associated with the Minnesota Vikings or the National Football League (NFL). The content posted by individuals on this website reflect their personal opinions and in no way reflect the views of the Minnesota Vikings, NFL, or associated properties. Purple Pain Forums and its affiliates are not responsible for any content posted by our users as it is the property of the poster.