[OC] Notes on Saints vs Vikings

Sept 14, 2017 10:40:09 GMT -6 3 Replies
After every game this season I'll be going back and rewatching with the All22 angle to see what really happened. I'll always highlight the highest graded player on O and D by PFF then talk about a few other players who stood out, good or bad. If there's anything you want me to include as well just lemme know.

PFF Highest Offensive Grade
Sam Bradford 90.1
Sam Bradford has always been shy going downfield even though he’s always had an extraordinarily accurate deep ball. This game, however, Bradford played like a man possessed going downfield with regularity and completing a total of 9 passes to the intermediate and deep parts of the field. What stood out in particular though was not his accuracy downfield (as many of his WRs were running free) but his patience letting routes develop and making the right decisions on where to go with the ball to expose the coverage busts. To start off the game on back to back 3rd downs he picked up easy conversions on crossing routes to Diggs when the Saints tried to man him up. Later near the end of the game several of his deep balls to Thielen came out of a bunch formation with Diggs running off the safeties allowing Thielen to leave his man in the dust on corner routes. Another trait that was showcased this game his presnap decision making. On a 3rd and long in the redzone he saw the Saints leaving both A gaps uncovered and checked to a run play that picked up an easy first down. On Diggs’ TD on the fade route he immediately knew where he was going and after quickly looking off the safety tossed a ball that allowed Diggs’ to make a ridiculous catch for 6. Lastly, near the end of the first half, the Saints came out in a cover zero look so Bradford changed the play and went on to hit Thielen for an easy 35 yard completion. Overall Bradford showed his ability in the mental part of the game that really sets apart the good QBs from the average ones. Although his performance should be taken with a grain of salt vs a poor Saints D it was a great sign of a better Bradford for the season.

PFF Highest Defensive Grade
Harrison Smith 90.4
Harrison Smith was his usual elite self vs the Saints Monday night making plays all over the field, with one series midway through the 2nd quarter sticking out. On a drive that was extended on a BS roughing the passer call the Saints drove down to the redzone and were on the brink of opening up the game. Harrison Smith, however, wanted no parts of this and was the driving force behind a defense that held the vaunted Saints O to only 3 points. On first down he sets the edge vs the jet sweep then gets in to help make the tackle after 5 yards. It’s 2nd down now and the Saints trying running the ball to the right but Smith comes flying into the backfield, splitting to blockers and forcing the RB to cutback into Vikings defenders for a TFL. On 3rd & 5 from the goal, the Saints run a trap play to catch the Vikings off guard but Smith isn’t picked up and makes the 1 on 1 tackle for 3 yards to force a FG. Football is an extremely situational sport and with the D backed against the wall Smith was at the top of his game. Later in the game, he had another play that highlighted his coverage skills. At the snap he rotates down to play the flats but keeps his eyes on Brees the whole way, this allowed him to see through the run fake and pick up the defender running free behind the LBs. As soon as Brees' shoulders lifted up (letting Bradford know the ball was about to be thrown) he broke on the WR and made a spectacular pass breakup to prevent a big play. Smith plays safety and that often means a lot of his impact isn’t seen in stats in the stat sheet. If the front 7 does their job he won’t show up too often in the run game and if he does his job coverage wise the ball is going somewhere else. However, Smith is truly one of the game's elites and the elite NFL safeties find ways to show up by going above and beyond the expected which is what Smith has consistently shown throughout his career and is why he is the lynchpin to this top 5 defense.

Hidden Stars of the Game
Stefon Diggs 89.0
While Diggs technically was the NFL's highest graded WR by PFF, the grade doesn’t do justice to the game he had. Diggs made tough catch after tough catch throughout the game and showed his elite hands and ability to adjust to make a catch. To start, the fade was a beautifully thrown ball by Bradford but the catch was on another level. The mastery needed to go up in the air make the contested grab AND get both feet down inbounds was a thing of beauty to witness. Earlier in the drive, Diggs might’ve made an even better catch, adjusting to the underthrown ball by Bradford and holding through the massive (and illegal) hit by the Saints safety. The last truly awe inspiring play was a deep ball earlier in the 3rd quarter where he shows the undervalued skill to adjust to the deep ball and haul it in with the defender all over him.

Pat Shurmur
I questioned the Vikings choice to retain him after last season and while I do have reservations he undoubtedly took a step in the right direction and played an enormous role in the great game Bradford had. Throughout the entire game, the Vikings were running route combos to take advantage of what the Saints were doing on the defense. He routinely schemed up plays to get ideal matchups whether they were Diggs and Thielen vs anyone, Rudolph in the redzone or just receivers running free in general; the pass concepts were on point this game. (I’ll try to get out another post later this week specifically highlighting what he did in order to break apart the Saints D)

Adam Thielen
As highlighted by the broadcast Thielen has gone from unwanted in college to legitimate good NFL player. He’s now joined Jordy Nelson in the white-WR-who’s-a-deep-threat-but-will-never-get-his-dues-as-one-because-he’s-white club. He’s proven over the course of last season and in this game that he’s a legitimate downfield threat and Pat Shurmur has made sure to take advantage of his skillset especially near the end of last season and I pray this continues to happen for the rest of the season.

Eric Kendricks
Erick Kendricks looks like he’s going to take a stab at leaping into the next tier of elite LBs. He’s always been a high level player in coverage who’s had his struggles vs the run but against the Saints he looked like things have really slowed down for him as he’s getting an even better hold on how teams will try to attack him and where to take gambles in the run game. I think this will be a theme that carries out through the entire year.

Linval Joseph
Still a monster vs the run? Check.
Another improvement in the pass game adding, even more, value to his game? Check.
Dude’s on a God level vs the run as a nose tackle and each year he’s taken steps forward as a pass rusher. This year looks like he’ll continue moving in that direction allowing him to become even more valuable to this D.

[OC] Notes on Saints vs Vikings

Shoutbox

salamander: Not feeling good unless we can find a QB. Haven't had a great one in a looooooong time. Feb 22, 2024 13:43:06 GMT -6
Reignman: March 11th, 2024 will live in history as Kirk Cousins Independence Day *cheerleader* Mar 11, 2024 16:34:20 GMT -6
salbrecht: Why can Pittsburg sign Russel Wilson fo 1.2 million and we get Sam Darnold for 10 million?? Mar 13, 2024 18:31:25 GMT -6
Reignman: when you put it like that, it's a real head scratcher, but this franchise is all about their precious culture, so I imagine they passed on a guy like Russ over something silly like that ... Darnold will have a big smile when he's throwing all the INT's Mar 14, 2024 17:44:47 GMT -6
shandman: If I am NE, I seriously consider getting Justin Fields and roll with Fields/Brisset this year.

For Vikings to actually pull this off they probably have to trade #11, #23 and 2025 first rounder. In return, they hopefully get #3 overall this year and NE's
Mar 15, 2024 19:29:01 GMT -6
glenwo2: Saying that Darnold will have a big smile when he's throwing all the INT's is quite the Take, Reignman. Mar 16, 2024 20:17:05 GMT -6
Nemesis: Good grief....first I hear....and then I hear...I think I better go back to being gone. *woot* ??? Mar 22, 2024 15:24:17 GMT -6
Norseman: You were gone? Mar 22, 2024 22:30:40 GMT -6
Nemesis: I'm a long gone daddy www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtpe6_2nCts Mar 23, 2024 9:39:00 GMT -6
glenwo2: Norseman is Nemesis' Daddy! You heard it here first, folks. Mar 25, 2024 12:26:17 GMT -6
glenwo2: I'm kidding of course, Nemesis. :) Mar 25, 2024 12:27:05 GMT -6
Norseman: How do you know that it isn't true? Mar 25, 2024 14:28:23 GMT -6
glenwo2: Because Nemesis is the Mod and I'm just a punk rookie acting like a goofball. Mar 25, 2024 16:57:35 GMT -6
Nemesis: Plus glenwo2 is probably my dad, he just likes messing with me from the beyond. Mar 26, 2024 17:13:40 GMT -6
Reignman: Oh great, Nemesis believes in ghosts now too? Did ghost dad remember his name or only the first initial after you recited the alphabet? Apr 1, 2024 22:17:26 GMT -6
Nemesis: We agreed before he died that he would use the name "glenwo" and contact me on the PP shoutbox, but the "2" has me a bit confused. Did I miss his first attempt at contact? Apr 5, 2024 8:22:45 GMT -6
glenwo2: Well glenwo1 was busy that day.... Apr 6, 2024 3:01:11 GMT -6
Nemesis: This is amazing. That's exactly what he told me he would say! :'( Apr 13, 2024 16:48:32 GMT -6
slidell: Sell out and do what it takes to get Daniels.Mccarthy and Maye are Ponders waiting to happen Apr 22, 2024 14:37:23 GMT -6
SiteWolf: What about Daniels separates him that much from Maye? His old team didn't whine when he left ASU, his frame as it is right now will struggle to stay healthy with his playing style...so is he really the better prospect? Apr 24, 2024 13:47:01 GMT -6
Shout as:
Refresh
  • Bold
  • Italic
  • Underline
  • Strikethrough
  • Link
  • Insert Smiley
0/256 Send Cancel
© 2022 Purple Pain Forums

Purple Pain Forums is an independent fan website and not associated with the Minnesota Vikings or the National Football League (NFL). The content posted by individuals on this website reflect their personal opinions and in no way reflect the views of the Minnesota Vikings, NFL, or associated properties. Purple Pain Forums and its affiliates are not responsible for any content posted by our users as it is the property of the poster.