Minnesota Vikings Ring Of Honor

Oct 29, 2022 12:36:09 GMT -6 2 Replies
The Minnesota Vikings created a Ring of Honor in 1998 to honor franchise legends. Over the past 24 years, 21 players, three coaches, one general manager, and one trainer have been inducted into the prestigious group. At halftime of tomorrow’s game against the Arizona Cardinals, former defensive end Jared Allen will become the 22nd player, seventh defensive lineman, and 27th member of the Vikings Ring of Honor.

The Vikings beat Canton to post-career honors for a player that terrorized quarterbacks during a 13-year career. The best and most important of those 13 years were the six that he played in Minnesota. Allen made the Pro Bowl four times during those six years. It should’ve been all six. He was named All-Pro three times. He was runner-up for the Defensive Player of the Year award in 2011. He should’ve won the award as his 22 sacks topped all of the wonderful things that Terrell Suggs did that year. Allen was fifth in the voting for the award in 2009. His 22 sacks in 2011 were an agonizing half-sack short of the NFL record.

His yearly sack totals for the Vikings

2008: 14.5
2009: 14.5
2010: 11
2011: 22
2012: 12
2013: 11.5

His four career safeties is an NFL record. He’s tied with three players. The Vikings got the better of the 2008 trade with the Kansas City Chiefs that brought Allen to Minnesota. By far.

Allen was a fantastic football player. It was only part of what he was for the Vikings and his community. Tomorrow, he’ll take his much deserved place as one of the best players in Vikings franchise history. His next post-career stop will be Canton.

Minnesota Vikings Ring of Honor

Fran Tarkenton, Quarterback (1998)
Alan Page, Defensive Tackle (1998)
Jim Finks, General Manager (1998)
Bud Grant, Head Coach (1998)
Paul Krause, Safety (1998)
Fred Zamberletti, Athletic Trainer (1998)
Jim Marshall, Defensive End (1999)
Ron Yary, Offensive Tackle (2001)
Korey Stringer, Offensive Tackle (2001)
Mick Tingelhoff, Center (2001)
Carl Eller, Defensive End (2002)
Cris Carter, Wide Receiver (2003)
Bill Brown, Fullback (2004)
Jerry Burns, Offensive Coordinator/Head Coach (2005)
Randall McDaniel, Guard (2006)
Chuck Foreman, Running Back (2007)
John Randle, Defensive Tackle (2008)
Scott Studwell, Linebacker (2009)
Chris Doleman, Defensive End (2011)
Matt Blair, Linebacker (2012)
Joey Browner, Safety (2013)
Randy Moss, Wide Receiver (2017)
Ahmad Rashad, Wide Receiver (2017)
Dennis Green, Head Coach (2018)
Steve Jordan, Tight End (2019)
Kevin Williams, Defensive Tackle (2021)
Jared Allen, Defensive End (2022)

Who’s next?

As soon as the congratulations and acknowledgements fade for an honor like this, the question is always asked. Who’s next? It’s inevitable. Jared Allen’s name hasn’t even been officially dropped inside of US Bank Stadium and I’m asking it here. I’ve thought about this question a time or two, maybe more, since Allen was surprised with the honor during training camp. So, who should be the 28th member of the Vikings Ring of Honor?

Whether it’s the Pro Football Hall of Fame or the Minnesota Vikings Ring of Honor, my first thought for “next” is the player that’s been waiting the longest. In this case, I can’t help but think about Grady Alderman. He’s an original Viking and one of the most underrated players in franchise history. From 1961 to 1973, he was the team’s left tackle. He was very good. At times, he was great. He went to six Pro Bowls and received a few All-Pro nods. From 1969-73, Alderman and Ron Yary formed one of the league’s best tackle duos.

Now, I’m not saying that Grady Alderman should be next. I’m just saying that he deserves serious consideration. The list for “next” is long. Here’s a stab at some of the contenders.

Grady Alderman
Bobby Bryant
Jeff Siemon
Sammy White
Tommy Kramer
Anthony Carter
Carl Lee
Keith Millard
Gary Zimmerman
Henry Thomas
Ed McDaniel
Jake Reed
Todd Steussie
Robert Smith
Robert Griffith
Matt Birk
Daunte Culpepper
Antoine Winfield
Pat Williams
Chad Greenway
Steve Hutchinson
Adrian Peterson

My short(er) list probably looks something like this:

Grady Alderman
Tommy Kramer
Keith Millard
Gary Zimmerman
Antoine Winfield
Steve Hutchinson

If I were to be so bold as to guess the 28th member of the Minnesota Vikings Ring of Honor, that guess would be Steve Hutchinson. I’d like to see Tommy Kramer, Keith Millard, and Antoine Winfield take their much-deserved place in the Ring soon but I think that Hutchinson will be the next pick of those that actually make the pick. The Vikings great guard was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2020. A Ring of Honor induction has often preceded or followed a Canton induction. For that reason, and the fact that he deserves it, Hutchinson is an easy pick for “next.”

What’s up with the Gary Zimmerman-Minnesota Vikings relationship? He was an easy Hall of Famer. He was brilliant for the Vikings. He always seemed to be in complete control of his area of the field. Despite playing his best years and the majority of his career in Minnesota, it’s always felt like he’s more aligned with the Denver Broncos. A bitter contract dispute led to the trade that sent Zimmerman to Denver. I’m guessing that some bitterness remains. It’s the only thing that explains his Ring of Honor absence. He’s one of the best players in Vikings franchise history.

For now, and until the 28th member of the Minnesota Vikings Ring of Honor is announced, congratulations Jared Allen on a much-deserved honor.

Minnesota Vikings Ring Of Honor

Shoutbox

salamander: Not feeling good unless we can find a QB. Haven't had a great one in a looooooong time. Feb 22, 2024 13:43:06 GMT -6
Reignman: March 11th, 2024 will live in history as Kirk Cousins Independence Day *cheerleader* Mar 11, 2024 16:34:20 GMT -6
salbrecht: Why can Pittsburg sign Russel Wilson fo 1.2 million and we get Sam Darnold for 10 million?? Mar 13, 2024 18:31:25 GMT -6
Reignman: when you put it like that, it's a real head scratcher, but this franchise is all about their precious culture, so I imagine they passed on a guy like Russ over something silly like that ... Darnold will have a big smile when he's throwing all the INT's Mar 14, 2024 17:44:47 GMT -6
shandman: If I am NE, I seriously consider getting Justin Fields and roll with Fields/Brisset this year.

For Vikings to actually pull this off they probably have to trade #11, #23 and 2025 first rounder. In return, they hopefully get #3 overall this year and NE's
Mar 15, 2024 19:29:01 GMT -6
glenwo2: Saying that Darnold will have a big smile when he's throwing all the INT's is quite the Take, Reignman. Mar 16, 2024 20:17:05 GMT -6
Nemesis: Good grief....first I hear....and then I hear...I think I better go back to being gone. *woot* ??? Mar 22, 2024 15:24:17 GMT -6
Norseman: You were gone? Mar 22, 2024 22:30:40 GMT -6
Nemesis: I'm a long gone daddy www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtpe6_2nCts Mar 23, 2024 9:39:00 GMT -6
glenwo2: Norseman is Nemesis' Daddy! You heard it here first, folks. Mar 25, 2024 12:26:17 GMT -6
glenwo2: I'm kidding of course, Nemesis. :) Mar 25, 2024 12:27:05 GMT -6
Norseman: How do you know that it isn't true? Mar 25, 2024 14:28:23 GMT -6
glenwo2: Because Nemesis is the Mod and I'm just a punk rookie acting like a goofball. Mar 25, 2024 16:57:35 GMT -6
Nemesis: Plus glenwo2 is probably my dad, he just likes messing with me from the beyond. Mar 26, 2024 17:13:40 GMT -6
Reignman: Oh great, Nemesis believes in ghosts now too? Did ghost dad remember his name or only the first initial after you recited the alphabet? Apr 1, 2024 22:17:26 GMT -6
Nemesis: We agreed before he died that he would use the name "glenwo" and contact me on the PP shoutbox, but the "2" has me a bit confused. Did I miss his first attempt at contact? Apr 5, 2024 8:22:45 GMT -6
glenwo2: Well glenwo1 was busy that day.... Apr 6, 2024 3:01:11 GMT -6
Nemesis: This is amazing. That's exactly what he told me he would say! :'( Apr 13, 2024 16:48:32 GMT -6
slidell: Sell out and do what it takes to get Daniels.Mccarthy and Maye are Ponders waiting to happen Apr 22, 2024 14:37:23 GMT -6
SiteWolf: What about Daniels separates him that much from Maye? His old team didn't whine when he left ASU, his frame as it is right now will struggle to stay healthy with his playing style...so is he really the better prospect? Apr 24, 2024 13:47:01 GMT -6
Shout as:
Refresh
  • Bold
  • Italic
  • Underline
  • Strikethrough
  • Link
  • Insert Smiley
0/256 Send Cancel
© 2022 Purple Pain Forums

Purple Pain Forums is an independent fan website and not associated with the Minnesota Vikings or the National Football League (NFL). The content posted by individuals on this website reflect their personal opinions and in no way reflect the views of the Minnesota Vikings, NFL, or associated properties. Purple Pain Forums and its affiliates are not responsible for any content posted by our users as it is the property of the poster.