Minnesota Vikings 1970s All-Decade Team

Oct 15, 2022 13:10:56 GMT -6 0 Replies
The second decade of Minnesota Vikings football was a special decade for me. It’s when this kid from California fell for the team. Most of my family and several friends hassled me for my “odd” choice of teams. The San Francisco 49ers and Oakland Raiders were supposed to be the only options for someone from my spot on a map. Who cares about geography when picking a team? I didn’t. Minneapolis, or Bloomington, was as close as San Francisco as far as I was concerned. Fortunately for me, I had a father that allowed me to find my own football way. He’d been a 49ers fan since the team was introduced in 1946. He influenced my interest in football and ignited my passion in the game’s past. He just never insisted that my choices match his. Some might say that I missed out on Super Bowl titles by following the Vikings. Maybe. I don’t look at it that way. The Vikings are all that I’ve known, football-wise. They are all that I want to know. I wouldn’t change a thing. Well, I’d probably change the endings of a few of their seasons. I’ve loved my Vikings journey and I look forward to every step that it takes me. Enough about me. This is about the Minnesota Vikings of the 1970s. Despite never getting that one final win, it was a great decade. Legendary players, legendary teams. It was easy to fall for the Vikings during this decade. Here are some of the best players from a fun decade of Vikings football.

Offense

Quarterback
Fran Tarkenton

This is an easy one. Fran Tarkenton had an odd Vikings career. He was traded to the New York Giants after the 1966 season. He was traded for after the 1971 season. He played for 18 years with a five-year New York sabbatical in the middle. Tarkenton had a great career. A Hall of Fame career. By the end of it he held all of the career passing records. Touchdowns, yards, completions, attempts. He held those records longer than any quarterback ever has. His most productive years were those played in the 1970s. He guided the Vikings to three Super Bowls. He’s easily the best quarterback in franchise history. At times, it feels like the Vikings have been looking for the team’s next franchise quarterback ever since Tarkenton retired after the 1978 season.

Running Back
Chuck Foreman

Another easy one. Put simply, Chuck Foreman was great. For the first five years of his career, he was arguably the best running back in the league. He was certainly the best all-around back in the league. In 1975, he was seven yards short of leading the NFC in rushing, receptions, and touchdowns. A Triple Crown. He was such a fun football player. If injuries hadn’t started whittling away at his talents after his fifth season, he’d be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. In my opinion, he did enough in those five seasons to be honored in Canton.

Fullback
Bill Brown

Picking the best Vikings fullback of the 1970s is difficult. Chuck Foreman played the position better than any player during the decade. He’s also the team’s best running back during the decade. Bill Brown was well past his best days in the 1970s but he still looked the part. He look and played like the fullback ideal of the 1960s and 1970s. He was a team leader until he retired after the 1974 season. I feel better about Brown being on this team than either of Ed Marinaro or Brent McClanahan.

Wide Receivers
Ahmad Rashad
Sammy White

The Vikings have been blessed with many great receivers. Ahmad Rashad and Sammy White was the team’s first great receiver duo. Both came to the team in 1976. White exploded on the NFL scene with a Rookie of the Year season. Rashad was so steady and productive for the Vikings. If he’d come to Minnesota a few years earlier and played with Tarkenton a few years longer, he’d be in the Hall of Fame. While Rashad and White are easy choices for this team’s receivers, it’s tough to not include John Gilliam. He was one of the league’s best deep threats of the early 1970s. He made the Pro Bowl each of his four years with the Vikings.

Tight End
Stu Voigt

Stu Voigt was a good tight end in the 1970s. Back then, the position was more blocker than receiver. Voigt was a better blocker than receiver. I remember one magazine, in a season preview, describing him as “mediocre, at best.” I felt that was a little harsh at the time. Still do.

Offensive Tackles
Ron Yary
Steve Riley

Ron Yary is arguably the best offensive tackle of his era. He’s one of the best offensive tackles of any era. He’s in the Hall of Fame. The only real debate over the team’s best offensive tackles of the decade is whether to include Grady Alderman over Steve Riley. In the 1970s, Alderman was edging toward the end of his career. Riley’s best years were the 1970s. From 1975-79, he was the team’s left tackle. He was a solid left tackle and nice bookend to Yary.

Offensive Guards
Ed White
Charles Goodrum

Ed White played both left and right guard. During the 1970s, he was the Vikings best left guard and the team’s best right guard. Perhaps I should have him playing both on this team. White’s best years were his right guard years next to Ron Yary. Charles Goodrum was a solid left guard. He formed a solid left side with Steve Riley.

Center
Mick Tingelhoff

Mick Tingelhoff was a fantastic center. He was arguably the league’s best center in the 1960s. He was a very good center in the 1970s. If anything was working against him during the latter years of his long career, it was the league’s offensive line evolution. At about 240 lbs, he was wildly undersized for his position. He was still a very good center during the final years of his Hall of Fame career.

Defense

Defensive Ends
Carl Eller
Jim Marshall

Both are Vikings legends. Carl Eller is in the Hall of Fame. Jim Marshall has a strong Hall of Fame argument and was the leader and heart of some of the best defenses in league history.

Defensive Tackles
Alan Page
Gary Larsen

Alan Page was one of the best defensive players I’ve ever seen. He wrecked offenses. As for the other defensive tackle, Gary Larsen started the decade. Doug Sutherland finished it. Both were solid players on a great defensive line. Larsen was the better football player.

Linebackers
Matt Blair
Jeff Siemon
Wally Hilgenberg

Matt Blair became the Vikings defensive leader following the retirements and departures of the team’s legends. He could do so much on the football field. I once heard that he could take a quarter off the top of a basketball backboard. I was never sure if that was true. Seeing the height that he could reach on field goal blocks it’s believable. Despite coming out of Stanford, Jeff Siemon was a great player for the Vikings in the 1970s. He’s right there with Scott Studwell, E.J. Henderson, and Eric Kendricks as the best middle linebackers in franchise history. Siemon may have been the only defensive player that showed up for Super Bowl XI. Wally Hilgenberg continued to play so well into the middle of the 1970s that he kept the very talented Fred McNeil on the bench.

Cornerbacks
Bobby Bryant
Nate Wright

Bobby Bryant was a very good cornerback for a long time. He was the last member of the great defenses of the late 1960s and early 1970s to retire. He made so many big plays in big games. Nate Wright is probably best remembered as the player shoved to the ground by Drew Pearson in the 1975 playoffs. Wright was a very talented cornerback. For a few years he was one of the league’s best.

Safeties
Paul Krause
Tom Hannon

Paul Krause was a unique football player. He was rarely near the line of scrimmage. With his tackling, you didn’t want him near the line of scrimmage. He was at his best roaming the defensive backfield. Krause intercepted so many passes. I felt that every pass that left a quarterback’s hand was going to end up in his hands. He did what he did on the football field better than any safety I’d seen until Ed Reed. Jeff Wright should probably be the other safety over Tom Hannon. Wright started next to Krause for most of the decade. Hannon is one of the more underrated players in team history. He got a couple starts in 1978 and became a full time starter in 1979. Despite so few games during the decade, I like Hannon over Wright for this team.

Special Teams

Kicker
Fred Cox

It’s remarkable that Fred Cox was kicking for the Vikings into the 1977 season. Most teams had turned to soccer-style kickers. Cox was 39 and still approaching the ball straight on. During the 1970s, he only attempted nine field goals from over 50 yards. It was a very different time.

Punter
Greg Coleman

Greg Coleman punted for the Vikings in 1978 and 1979. That’s enough for him to grab this spot over Neil Clabo and Mike Eischeid.

Returner
John Gilliam

The Vikings had strong special teams in the 1970s. They had a ridiculous knack for blocking kicks. That special teams strength wasn’t really reflected in their kick and punt returns. I’m giving this spot to John Gilliam partly because he returned a few kicks but mostly because he was such an explosive player during his four years with the Vikings. He deserves a spot on a Minnesota Vikings 1970s All-Decade Team.

Shoutbox

salamander: Not feeling good unless we can find a QB. Haven't had a great one in a looooooong time. Feb 22, 2024 13:43:06 GMT -6
Reignman: March 11th, 2024 will live in history as Kirk Cousins Independence Day *cheerleader* Mar 11, 2024 16:34:20 GMT -6
salbrecht: Why can Pittsburg sign Russel Wilson fo 1.2 million and we get Sam Darnold for 10 million?? Mar 13, 2024 18:31:25 GMT -6
Reignman: when you put it like that, it's a real head scratcher, but this franchise is all about their precious culture, so I imagine they passed on a guy like Russ over something silly like that ... Darnold will have a big smile when he's throwing all the INT's Mar 14, 2024 17:44:47 GMT -6
shandman: If I am NE, I seriously consider getting Justin Fields and roll with Fields/Brisset this year.

For Vikings to actually pull this off they probably have to trade #11, #23 and 2025 first rounder. In return, they hopefully get #3 overall this year and NE's
Mar 15, 2024 19:29:01 GMT -6
glenwo2: Saying that Darnold will have a big smile when he's throwing all the INT's is quite the Take, Reignman. Mar 16, 2024 20:17:05 GMT -6
Nemesis: Good grief....first I hear....and then I hear...I think I better go back to being gone. *woot* ??? Mar 22, 2024 15:24:17 GMT -6
Norseman: You were gone? Mar 22, 2024 22:30:40 GMT -6
Nemesis: I'm a long gone daddy www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtpe6_2nCts Mar 23, 2024 9:39:00 GMT -6
glenwo2: Norseman is Nemesis' Daddy! You heard it here first, folks. Mar 25, 2024 12:26:17 GMT -6
glenwo2: I'm kidding of course, Nemesis. :) Mar 25, 2024 12:27:05 GMT -6
Norseman: How do you know that it isn't true? Mar 25, 2024 14:28:23 GMT -6
glenwo2: Because Nemesis is the Mod and I'm just a punk rookie acting like a goofball. Mar 25, 2024 16:57:35 GMT -6
Nemesis: Plus glenwo2 is probably my dad, he just likes messing with me from the beyond. Mar 26, 2024 17:13:40 GMT -6
Reignman: Oh great, Nemesis believes in ghosts now too? Did ghost dad remember his name or only the first initial after you recited the alphabet? Apr 1, 2024 22:17:26 GMT -6
Nemesis: We agreed before he died that he would use the name "glenwo" and contact me on the PP shoutbox, but the "2" has me a bit confused. Did I miss his first attempt at contact? Apr 5, 2024 8:22:45 GMT -6
glenwo2: Well glenwo1 was busy that day.... Apr 6, 2024 3:01:11 GMT -6
Nemesis: This is amazing. That's exactly what he told me he would say! :'( Apr 13, 2024 16:48:32 GMT -6
slidell: Sell out and do what it takes to get Daniels.Mccarthy and Maye are Ponders waiting to happen Apr 22, 2024 14:37:23 GMT -6
SiteWolf: What about Daniels separates him that much from Maye? His old team didn't whine when he left ASU, his frame as it is right now will struggle to stay healthy with his playing style...so is he really the better prospect? Apr 24, 2024 13:47:01 GMT -6
Shout as:
Refresh
  • Bold
  • Italic
  • Underline
  • Strikethrough
  • Link
  • Insert Smiley
0/256 Send Cancel
© 2022 Purple Pain Forums

Purple Pain Forums is an independent fan website and not associated with the Minnesota Vikings or the National Football League (NFL). The content posted by individuals on this website reflect their personal opinions and in no way reflect the views of the Minnesota Vikings, NFL, or associated properties. Purple Pain Forums and its affiliates are not responsible for any content posted by our users as it is the property of the poster.