[OC] UPCOMING SALARY CAP DECISIONS

Oct 29, 2017 2:34:51 GMT -6 41 Replies
The Vikings have some interesting decisions to make in the next couple of years regarding their star players, so I thought it was time to take a look at what we may be looking at in contract terms.

As it stands now, the Vikings are estimated to have $50.5 Million cap space in 2018.

Based on current position contracts in the NFL and each players production, I would estimate the following scenarios:

ANTHONY BARR

He's producing at a high level and will earn $12.3 million next year after the Vikings picked up his 5th year option.

The current high mark at the position is $12.5 million AAV set by the Jamie Collins contract last year, so Barr would be looking to better that.

Considering the yearly rises in the salary cap annually, my estimate would be around the $14 million mark AAV.

ERIC KENDRICKS

He isn't in the same class as Luke Kuechly, but nobody else is either.

I have Kendricks pegged at around the same level as Brandon Marshall/Danny Trevathan, who earn $8 million and $7 million AAV respectively, and his stats are at that point.

So I would expect Kendricks to be looking for something in the $8 million range AAV

DANIELLE HUNTER

This could be the big one.

The current high mark is Olivier Vernon, who signed an $85 million contract last year with an AAV of $17 million.

However Hunter has to prove that he can produce as a starter,with opponents game planning for him better than they have in previous years. Currently Hunter has 3 sacks compared to Griffen who has 9 and is second in the NFL. So based on an admittedly small sample size, Hunter is not anywhere near earning $17 million. He's more likely around $10.5/11 million AAV.

The caveat to all that of course is the ability of Mike Zimmer to develop young pass rushers. If Hunter can take the next step and elevate his game to where Griffen is, then Hunter could well be looking at $20 million AAV.

STEFON DIGGS

This is where opinions will no doubt be divided.

The current high is Antonio Brown whose contract pays him $17 million AAV, and Diggs is no Antonio Brown.

Based on his current level of production he would probably be looking around $10/11 million AAV. However the question becomes, do you want to pay a guy that amount of money when he can't stay healthy?

More than any player on this list, Diggs could well be affected by the achievements of other players currently on the roster, namely Laquon Treadwell and Michael Floyd. If one of these guys is able to step up and prove themselves as a reliable alternative, then Diggs may not be in a strong position from a negotiation standpoint. However if Diggs can get back to full health and finish the season without missing any more games, then play a full season next year,he may well be in line to force the Vikings hand. All three of these players have certainly had their issues, and with the lack of red zone production so far this season the Vikings may well decide to dip in to the free agent receiver market in 2018 with Jarvis Landry and Davante Adams among a host of options.

So there you have it. An early outline of what may be required to keep some key pieces on the roster, but what must be remembered is that the Vikings only have one QB signed for next year, and that is rookie Kyle Sloter.

What the Vikings do at the QB position is going to be the big decision for the offseason, and may well impact what happens to the above scenarios.

All salary cap info courtesy OTC

[OC] UPCOMING SALARY CAP DECISIONS

Shoutbox

Purple Pain: Pick 6 Playoffs Edition for Championship Weekend: purplepainforums.com/thread/7572/pick-playoffs-edition-championship-weekend Jan 25, 2024 11:02:04 GMT -6
Purple Pain: Pick 6 Playoffs Edition for the Super Bowl is up: purplepainforums.com/thread/7585/pick-playoffs-edition-super-lviii Jan 31, 2024 11:33:55 GMT -6
salamander: Not feeling good unless we can find a QB. Haven't had a great one in a looooooong time. Feb 22, 2024 13:43:06 GMT -6
Reignman: March 11th, 2024 will live in history as Kirk Cousins Independence Day *cheerleader* Mar 11, 2024 16:34:20 GMT -6
salbrecht: Why can Pittsburg sign Russel Wilson fo 1.2 million and we get Sam Darnold for 10 million?? Mar 13, 2024 18:31:25 GMT -6
Reignman: when you put it like that, it's a real head scratcher, but this franchise is all about their precious culture, so I imagine they passed on a guy like Russ over something silly like that ... Darnold will have a big smile when he's throwing all the INT's Mar 14, 2024 17:44:47 GMT -6
shandman: If I am NE, I seriously consider getting Justin Fields and roll with Fields/Brisset this year.

For Vikings to actually pull this off they probably have to trade #11, #23 and 2025 first rounder. In return, they hopefully get #3 overall this year and NE's
Mar 15, 2024 19:29:01 GMT -6
glenwo2: Saying that Darnold will have a big smile when he's throwing all the INT's is quite the Take, Reignman. Mar 16, 2024 20:17:05 GMT -6
Nemesis: Good grief....first I hear....and then I hear...I think I better go back to being gone. *woot* ??? Mar 22, 2024 15:24:17 GMT -6
Norseman: You were gone? Mar 22, 2024 22:30:40 GMT -6
Nemesis: I'm a long gone daddy www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtpe6_2nCts Mar 23, 2024 9:39:00 GMT -6
glenwo2: Norseman is Nemesis' Daddy! You heard it here first, folks. Mar 25, 2024 12:26:17 GMT -6
glenwo2: I'm kidding of course, Nemesis. :) Mar 25, 2024 12:27:05 GMT -6
Norseman: How do you know that it isn't true? Mar 25, 2024 14:28:23 GMT -6
glenwo2: Because Nemesis is the Mod and I'm just a punk rookie acting like a goofball. Mar 25, 2024 16:57:35 GMT -6
Nemesis: Plus glenwo2 is probably my dad, he just likes messing with me from the beyond. Mar 26, 2024 17:13:40 GMT -6
Reignman: Oh great, Nemesis believes in ghosts now too? Did ghost dad remember his name or only the first initial after you recited the alphabet? Apr 1, 2024 22:17:26 GMT -6
Nemesis: We agreed before he died that he would use the name "glenwo" and contact me on the PP shoutbox, but the "2" has me a bit confused. Did I miss his first attempt at contact? Apr 5, 2024 8:22:45 GMT -6
glenwo2: Well glenwo1 was busy that day.... Apr 6, 2024 3:01:11 GMT -6
Nemesis: This is amazing. That's exactly what he told me he would say! :'( Apr 13, 2024 16:48:32 GMT -6
Shout as:
Refresh
  • Bold
  • Italic
  • Underline
  • Strikethrough
  • Link
  • Insert Smiley
0/256 Send Cancel
© 2022 Purple Pain Forums

Purple Pain Forums is an independent fan website and not associated with the Minnesota Vikings or the National Football League (NFL). The content posted by individuals on this website reflect their personal opinions and in no way reflect the views of the Minnesota Vikings, NFL, or associated properties. Purple Pain Forums and its affiliates are not responsible for any content posted by our users as it is the property of the poster.