[OC] Playing GM: Vikings 2018 Full Offseason

Mar 5, 2018 20:50:25 GMT -6 4 Replies
Playing GM: Vikings 2018 Full Offseason by

As we are about to embark on free agency and the combine is coming to a close, let's take a stab at Rick Spielman's job as the GM for the Minnesota Vikings. First let's take a look at the squad. A team that had the #1 defense in so many categories, and a decent offense that led the team to an NFC Championship bid, 13-3 record, and the NFC North title. However, there are some big needs to get this team over the hump, and it starts with the fact the only QB on the current roster being Kyle Sloter.

Going into the offseason the biggest needs for the Vikings are: QB, G/T, DT, CB, DE, OLB, WR, S in that order. So how could we go about solving this situation? Well first comes free agency, so let's take a look at the current Vikings contracts:

Now the first thing to do would be to cut Brian Robison and Sharrif Floyd. Floyd is obvious. He's not going to play football again, and it's awful. He would have solved every need at the DT position, but there is nothing we can do so we let's add 6M to our cap space. Now, while I love Robison, he did nothing for the Vikings in 2017. Watching the game film, he was simply horrendous at his job rushing the passer. And for 3.5M, he is simply a must-cut for the Vikings, in my opinion. This leaves us roughly at 54M in cap space.

Signing One: Kirk Cousins - QB - (150M/5YR, 95M Guaranteed)

The Vikings are in a prime position to make a run for the Super Bowl. To me, therefore, you go after the very best QB available; that is Kirk Cousins by a long shot. He has had three straight healthy seasons of 4,000YD+ 25TD+ ball. The weapons he would be inheriting in Minnesota would be the best he has ever had. He will have three great QB-oriented coaches in Downing, DeFilippo, and Stefanski. I do not think anything NY can offer will be so much greater that he would turn down the security of a five-year deal with the best roster he could join.

The following structure:

Signing Two: Josh Sitton - OG - (20M/2YR 11M Guaranteed)

Josh Sitton was rated as the 5th-best guard in football last year. Due to his age, injuries, and the Bears not really in a spot to compete, he was let go. This is a prime spot for the Vikings to jump in and grab an incredibly solid guard to add to the offensive line. Reiff and Elflein played great last year; adding a third piece to this puzzle in FA would be a great move.

The following structure:

Signing Three: Nickell Robey-Coleman - CB - (2.6M, 1M Guaranteed)

Nickell played okay in LA last year. He would for certain meet our need at the nickel cornerback spot. While I am high on Alexander improving this year, you will always need CB depth and Nickell would add it at not only a cheap price but at a spot where he might take over a starting role depending on how he plays.

The following structure:

Signing Four: Sebastian Janikowski - K - (5.5M/2YR, 1M Guaranteed)

Coming off of injury issues, I feel like this is a generous contract for Janikowski. As Viking fans, we know how important the kicker position is. I know I never felt comfortable with Kai back there. While Janikowski may have lost a bit of leg the past two years with his 55-60+ yard kicks, he still has been constantly deadly from inside 45-yards and with extra points. I think as long as he returns healthy from his injury he would be a perfect and needed addition to this Vikings squad.

The following structure:

Signing Five: Kerwynn Williams - RB - (800k/1YR, 0 Guaranteed)

Williams played okay in his time in Arizona. I think he fits the mold as a replacement for Jet. While not the same player, we will need depth at the RB position. I like Williams as a cheap, yet proven option. He can play and do what we will need him to do as a 3rd RB in the depth chart. I think this draft gives us a lot of leeway, and I will talk about that later.

The following structure:

Re-signing: Nick Easton - G - (2.6M/2YR, 400K Guaranteed)

Nick is a restricted free agent, so offering him the qualifying offer here makes the most sense. I do see Easton taking it as he has had injury problems, and there is so much competition in the open market and draft; however, if he does not, we do get a 3rd-round compensation pick in the following draft. Easton will make for incredible depth having a starting quality lineman as a backup for G/C.

The following structure:

Re-signing: Tom Johnson - DT - (2M/1YR - 1M Guaranteed)

Tom Johnson played great last year. The Vikings want to bring him back, limiting his snaps, so 2M sounds like a great deal to have very solid DT depth as we look to find a starter next to Linval in the draft. Depth is something we lacked, and we saw it hurting us in the 4th quarter of a few games this past year.

The following structure:

Extension: Anthony Barr- OLB - (41M/4Yrs, 23M Guaranteed)

I have had a lot of discussion about this contract with many people. While I still think it's an overpay, I do think it's realistic to what Barr will be getting - comparable to Kwon Alexander and Telvin Smith, both elite OLBs similar to Barr. Getting this contract extended this year will actually add room to our cap space since we are on the hook for 12M in the final year of Barr’s rookie 1st-round contract. He is a staple of Zimmer’s defense and is not going anywhere.

The following structure:

Extension: Stefon Diggs - WR - (58M/5Yrs, 24M Guaranteed)

This contract is interesting. I see Diggs getting maybe a slightly bigger deal and over a shorter duration as he may want to prove and solidify himself as a top WR in the NFL and that he can stay healthy. However, I can also see this long-term deal getting done, due to the fact Diggs has injury problems. This is a market deal for Diggs, and while I think he should be paid over that, those injuries may hinder it from happening. This is hoping he takes long-term stability, over a prove-it contract. Either way, I think the Vikings for sure can get it done.

The following structure:

Extension note:

I am accounting for extending Hunter, Waynes, and Kendricks with the following contracts in 2019 and also a Harrison Smith restructure to give him some extra earned signing bonus cash and to push his cap later into his contract.:

The NFL Draft

Round 1 Pick 30: Harrison Phillips - DT - Stanford

Harrison Phillips played nose tackle for Stanford, and he played well. He was extremely productive with 103 tackles, 17 for loss, 7.5 sacks, as well as two forced fumbles. The kid produced. He pulled 42 Reps at the combine and did not perform horrid in the speed drills either. Many scouts' main worry is that he can not handle double teams as a nose in the NFL. Well I think the Vikings could draft him as a 3T; he would only ever face one-on-ones as you are forced to double-team Linval whether that be in run or pass. He does need to work on his pass rushing moves, but that is something I trust our coaching staff with. I think Phillips could dominate next to Linval in our D-line, and we would be getting much more productivity from this pick due to the fact we are not relying on him as our nose and double-team guy.

Round 2 Pick 60 - Billy Price - OG - Ohio St.

Price suffered a pectoral injury the first day of the combine. He was projected to be a late 1st-round to early 2nd-round talent. While I am not happy he got injured, I think this does give the Vikings a huge chance to grab him with their second pick. We would be getting tons of value at a position of need. Price is a day one starter at the RG position. He took over at C once Elflein left; however, at guard he holds his own well as a pass blocker, has a great punch as a run blocker, but most of all gets to the second level. He and Elflein working together in the run game will open the door for Cook to have an incredible season, in my opinion. He should be healthy for this year and would solidify this line as a great one as he competes for the job with Easton. Not to mention Price is one of the smartest football guys in this draft -just watch any video of him breaking down film.

Round 3 Trade with Bucs, Giants, or Colts

Receive early 3rd-round pick trading Latavius Murray, 2018 6th-round draft pick (218), and 2019 5th-rounder

The reasoning for this trade is simple: Murray is getting paid too much. We eat 1M in dead cap but get 5M off the roll this year and 6M next year. If we can gain a 3rd-rounder out of it, we should. Especially with a RB I like later in the draft. I also think one of these teams will still be needing a back going into this draft or some time in free agency where Slick Rick could get a deal like this done. This is kind of a stretch, and a 4th-rounder may be more realistic but let's go with it!

Early 3rd-Round Pick - Chad Thomas - DE - Miami (FL)

To me, Chad Thomas is very similar to Hunter. He is more of a raw talent coming out of college, but he has everything he needs to succeed with some coaching. He didn't have a wonderful combine, and I think this will help the Vikings by having him slip into the third. Depending on what they are hearing, you might switch the order in which we take these two third-rounders. Thomas is great versus the run, he holds the edge well, and he is fast enough to keep up with RBs trying to bounce around the tackle. His tape in the Orange Bowl demonstrates his strengths well - those being run defense, ability to rush the passer from anywhere on the D-line, pure speed and strength. He needs to learn more moves and use his hands more. I see Thomas as an instant Robison replacement giving us some depth and rotation ability with pass rushing. In the long term I see Thomas as our LE once Hunter moves to RE and Everson moves on/retires. I would be ecstatic to see what Zimmer could do with this kid.

3rd Round Pick 90 - Shaquem Griffin - OLB - UCF

Have yourself a combine. Griffin was on my list for a late-round steal; however, after his 4.38 40YD dash sitting at 6’1 227 Lb., his draft stock is soaring. Scouts are concerned about his ability to finish tackles and, simply the fact, he only has one hand. However, he showed an ability to catch the ball, and his freakish athleticism will make up for much of these shortcomings, in my opinion. I can see Griffin as an A. Barr replacement; however, in the meantime, it gives Zimmer LB depth. We no longer will have a massive drop-off if Kendricks or Barr goes down. In time, working with our great defensive coaching staff I see Griffin developing into a top tier 4-3 OLB.

Round 5 Pick 150 - Jamar Summers - DB - UConn

Summers is a S/CB combo. I think he is exactly the kind of player Zimmer could really mold. He can play the nickel corner position and fill in at FS when needed. He has good zone coverage and incredible tackling ability. Speed is the main concern; however, that seems to go away when you have great technique under a Zimmer-led staff. Seems like a solid pick to add some depth to the DB position for the Vikings.

Round 6 Pick 180 - Lavon Coleman - RB - Washington

I am so high on Coleman. I am willing to give up Murray; it's as simple as that. In 2016, he averaged 8 YAC at Washington. After a disappointing 2017, his draft stock plummeted. Many scouts say he's a one-cut back in a power back's body; however, I think he simply a Swiss-Army knife at back. In 2016, he showed he could block, he could run in and outside the tackles, and he could catch. He's extremely elusive and with some hard work, he can bring a power-back style to his game. I attribute a lot of the '17 disappointment to Washington's use of him mainly as a power back - changing and limiting his game. Utilized correctly, I can see Coleman being Dalvin Cook’s “Chester Taylor”. He can do everything and do it well. If Cook went down, I would feel more than comfortable with Lavon Coleman back there.

Round 6 Pick 213 - Antonio Callaway - WR - Florida

Callaway is a great WR - 5’11 and 4.41 40YD time, he gets in and out of breaks as well as literally anyone in this draft. However, his issues are off the field; he continues to have problems. Minnesota would be a great place for him to get away and become part of a great culture. The reason I think the Vikings also somewhat need a player like Callaway is because he also can return kicks and punts, and he does it well. You are getting middle-round talent late due to his attitude problems. Jarius Wright has two more years on his contract, and in that time, I see Callaway becoming every bit as good as Wright; I see Wright as Callaway's floor. This is on top of contributing massively on special teams. It all comes down to focusing on football and not being a distraction to his team.

Other Options

Other options in the draft I would look out for would include:

1st-round talent:

Connor Williams - T - Texas: Connor Williams is a great OT out of Texas. If he is available, it will be hard to pass up. He is an improvement over Remmers and would really secure some great pass blocking.

Maurice Hurst Jr. - DT - Michigan: a great 3Tech DT guy; hes athletic and speedy, fitting Zimmer's system perfectly. However, he was recently diagnosed with a heart condition, and after losing Floyd, I don't think Minnesota wants to take a risk at DT. I see Phillips out of Stanford as a more sure option. I also think there is more raw talent there to harvest.

Isaiah Wynn - G/T - Georgia: Wynn is a do-it-all kind of guy who played G and T, both very successfully at Georgia. He seems like the perfect Remmers replacement. As a smaller RT, he could be a solid pass blocker and a great run blocker. We could also easily decide to slide him in at guard.

2nd/3rd-round talent:

Equanimeous St. Brown - WR - Notre Dame: 6’5, 4.48 40YD, shows a good ability to high point contested catches. I have given up on Treadwell, and due to St. Brown’s speed and showcase of being able to get away and create separation, he could be an easy replacement. St. Brown would not only give us a great vertical threat, he would also give DeFilippo an Alshon Jeffery-like WR to play with. When running 3- and 4-WR sets, St. Brown at his size and speed alone is a threat on the field. With some work on his route running, he could develop into another insane weapon on this offense. He even showed great YAC ability at Notre Dame catching quite a few screens in ‘16.

Jordan Whitehead - S - Pitt: Whitehead was a favorite of mine; however, our safety position seems to be pretty solidified at this point in time. Depth would not hurt, and Sendejo needs a contract soon. I would not be surprised if we take Whitehead knowing Spielman visited Pitt earlier just to watch him.

Mid/late round talent:

Lowell Lotuleleli - DT - Utah: After a disappointing 2017, Lowell has dropped in draft stock. He is a good player and really showcased that in 2016 constantly getting pressure to the QB and handling the run. Again a guy who struggled against the double team, but that would not be a problem on this Vikings squad. He is worth a late round pick if Zimmer thinks he can motivate and mold him into a proper 3Tech DT.

Byron Pringle - WR - Kansas St: 6'1 fast as hell and can return kicks. He seems like the kind of WR the Vikings need as an outside vertical threat who can contribute on special teams. Byron is older at 24, and there has been injury problems, hence the later round projection despite the talent. He is guy that I could see fitting the system in Minnesota and having a contribution to this team in the long run.

Final Moves

Find a veteran cheap 3rd-string QB

See if anyone will take Treadwell for any compensation whatsoever. Hopefully, a team like the Bears will have bad luck in the draft and may be willing to trade.

2019 Roster

Conversation Football: conversationfootball.com/vikingsblog/2018/3/4/playing-gm-vikings-2018

[OC] Playing GM: Vikings 2018 Full Offseason

Shoutbox

Purple Pain: Pick 6 Playoffs Edition for Championship Weekend: purplepainforums.com/thread/7572/pick-playoffs-edition-championship-weekend Jan 25, 2024 11:02:04 GMT -6
Purple Pain: Pick 6 Playoffs Edition for the Super Bowl is up: purplepainforums.com/thread/7585/pick-playoffs-edition-super-lviii Jan 31, 2024 11:33:55 GMT -6
salamander: Not feeling good unless we can find a QB. Haven't had a great one in a looooooong time. Feb 22, 2024 13:43:06 GMT -6
Reignman: March 11th, 2024 will live in history as Kirk Cousins Independence Day *cheerleader* Mar 11, 2024 16:34:20 GMT -6
salbrecht: Why can Pittsburg sign Russel Wilson fo 1.2 million and we get Sam Darnold for 10 million?? Mar 13, 2024 18:31:25 GMT -6
Reignman: when you put it like that, it's a real head scratcher, but this franchise is all about their precious culture, so I imagine they passed on a guy like Russ over something silly like that ... Darnold will have a big smile when he's throwing all the INT's Mar 14, 2024 17:44:47 GMT -6
shandman: If I am NE, I seriously consider getting Justin Fields and roll with Fields/Brisset this year.

For Vikings to actually pull this off they probably have to trade #11, #23 and 2025 first rounder. In return, they hopefully get #3 overall this year and NE's
Mar 15, 2024 19:29:01 GMT -6
glenwo2: Saying that Darnold will have a big smile when he's throwing all the INT's is quite the Take, Reignman. Mar 16, 2024 20:17:05 GMT -6
Nemesis: Good grief....first I hear....and then I hear...I think I better go back to being gone. *woot* ??? Mar 22, 2024 15:24:17 GMT -6
Norseman: You were gone? Mar 22, 2024 22:30:40 GMT -6
Nemesis: I'm a long gone daddy www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtpe6_2nCts Mar 23, 2024 9:39:00 GMT -6
glenwo2: Norseman is Nemesis' Daddy! You heard it here first, folks. Mar 25, 2024 12:26:17 GMT -6
glenwo2: I'm kidding of course, Nemesis. :) Mar 25, 2024 12:27:05 GMT -6
Norseman: How do you know that it isn't true? Mar 25, 2024 14:28:23 GMT -6
glenwo2: Because Nemesis is the Mod and I'm just a punk rookie acting like a goofball. Mar 25, 2024 16:57:35 GMT -6
Nemesis: Plus glenwo2 is probably my dad, he just likes messing with me from the beyond. Mar 26, 2024 17:13:40 GMT -6
Reignman: Oh great, Nemesis believes in ghosts now too? Did ghost dad remember his name or only the first initial after you recited the alphabet? Apr 1, 2024 22:17:26 GMT -6
Nemesis: We agreed before he died that he would use the name "glenwo" and contact me on the PP shoutbox, but the "2" has me a bit confused. Did I miss his first attempt at contact? Apr 5, 2024 8:22:45 GMT -6
glenwo2: Well glenwo1 was busy that day.... Apr 6, 2024 3:01:11 GMT -6
Nemesis: This is amazing. That's exactly what he told me he would say! :'( Apr 13, 2024 16:48:32 GMT -6
Shout as:
Refresh
  • Bold
  • Italic
  • Underline
  • Strikethrough
  • Link
  • Insert Smiley
0/256 Send Cancel
© 2022 Purple Pain Forums

Purple Pain Forums is an independent fan website and not associated with the Minnesota Vikings or the National Football League (NFL). The content posted by individuals on this website reflect their personal opinions and in no way reflect the views of the Minnesota Vikings, NFL, or associated properties. Purple Pain Forums and its affiliates are not responsible for any content posted by our users as it is the property of the poster.